[pnpgm] Game update #48b - File #199 - Cetric Explains the problem

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Mon Oct 24 05:47:39 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #48b in sequence (file #199]

     Admin notes: Well.  None.

         [See Last Email/ part A of update]

     Octaqi 16, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 306 Miles
         North of Asichi City, Heading East from River

       [Cetric, Ga'Sha Gib'borah Stonehands (Caladan's father)
        and the four elders listen intently to the party defend
        Caladan. When Cetric hears Strie'bog he stands and walks
        toward Strie'bog.  Anger is seen to boil over in his eyes
        and fists.  His muscles tense.  He stares at the sitting
        Strie'bog.  He places a hand on his shamanic drum and
        begins to tap it.  He replies]
       Cetric: "Coward!?  You are a singer.  A dancer.  Your not
         even a fighter that could take on a female!  You dare-"
       Gib'borah: "Enough! Return to your position."
       [Cetric glances back at Gib'borah and then glares back at
        Strie'bog.  He stops beating the drum.  About 30 seconds
        pass as he stares at Strie'bog.  The only noise is that
        of the fire.  Finally he stops backwards while keeping his
        eye on Strie'bog.  Cetric goes back to his position where
        he was sitting.  He continues to stare at Strie'bog and
        at Caladan.  As Ben'dar, Chion, Z'leyra and finally Jordi
        again speaks he gets distracted and watches and listens to
        them.  During the other's talk Xian leans over to Strie'bog.]
       Xian: [In Whisper] "Not a good thing.  You've insulted him
         more than anyone has.  Be careful.  Watch your back.  I
         suspect you did not make a friend tonight.   Its funny.
         After your test he was clearly moved by the results.  As
         you were walking away he even apologized but you may not
         have heard it.  I suspect that feeling is now gone."

       [As Jordi ends.  Cetric continues.]

       Cetric: "Your friends speak highly of you Sundancer.  But
         in the end this is your decision not theirs.  What have
         you to say?"

       [Caladan waits a few seconds.  he pets the firesnake which
        sleeps quietly in his arms.  To bad the snake can't actually
        hear all this as its deaf.  Caladan looks down at the snake
        and back up at Cetric.]
       Caladan: "Strie'bog is right on several accounts.  You've never
         liked him.  Ever since he bit you.  But when you take away
         its favorite food even in teasing him he has a right to do
         so.  No one else has bothered him.  All have enjoyed him."
       [Gib'borah smiles at the memory.]
       Caladan: "Is this true?"
       Cetric: "How you came about getting him is --"
       Caladan: "How I got him is none of your concern.  Is that
         what is really bothering you?  Now.  As to this test.
         You know me.  You know where my loyalty is."
       [Lying on the floor near him is a knife that must've been
        pre=-planted there for this event.  Caladan places the
        sleeping firesnake on the lodge wooden floor.  He then
        grabs the knife and twists it in his hands.  The party
        look to each other in a tense moment.]
       Caladan: "Loyalty is always fleeting.  But loyalty for
         me is for many areas.  Loyalty to my father, to my
         family, to the elders, to my friends [he waves at the
         party], to the tribe and even to you the position of
         shaman.  Yes.  I've always learned and respect the
         traditions of the tribe.  Would I kill a simple pet
         in your eyes to prove my loyalty." [He holds the knife
         up and in the air] "Does this prove it?" [He looks past
         Cetric and raises his arm.  The party almost begins to
         say something or leap but stay quiet.  Caladan lowers his
         arm fast but then -]
       Gib'borah: "No!"
       [Caladan's motion was slow as intended.  The knife doesn't
        even get close to the snake.  He throws the knife to the
        side and looks again past Cetric to his father.]
       Caladan: "This was never Cetric's test was it?"
       [Gib'borah stares at Caladan and shakes his head.]
       Caladan: "I figured as much.  Even Cetric would not ask
         such a thing.  I never would've done anything to him.
         [he points at the snake[  Why?"
       Gib'borah: "When you left many years ago I wasn't sure
         why and still don't understand.  i wanted to see if
         you changed.  if you still respect animals and life
         or become civilized and care less about nature.  My
         guess was right you haven't changed." [A bit of sorrow
         in his voice] "I would not have made you done it.  I
         love the snake as much as you do.  There are other
         reasons i'll not go into.  Please forgive me?"
       Caladan: "Always.  We will talk later in private and catch
         up and I'll try to explain things."
       [Gib'borah nods and lowers his head.  The Elders just stare
        at Caladan and the party.]
       [Cetric stands and places a log onto the fire to spike it
        more before he continues.]
       Cetric: "Aside from your flying friend the tests are complete.
        Caladan already knows this but will explain to the others.
        Shamans on the plains use smoke and other things to see
        visions.  Some of these visions are from the spirits and
        most are from spirit guides.  it is a special practice only
        a few can do.  Non-shamsns can slao at times see visions if
        the spirits are wiling.  Sha, Ga'sha and even warriors see
        visions to help in battle. " [He pauses]

        "First I appreciate the help you have offered.  The reason
         I had to put you through tests will, I hope, become clear
         soon.  Some time ago...one moon ago [a month?]...I saw
         a vision.  In this vision I saw strange tatooed people with
         snake staffs that were swarming all over the plains.
         I've never seen such people and hope not to again.  Now,
         sometimes these visions must be interpreted and should not
         be taken in full value.  The spirits could have given me
         an omen of disaster.  Shortly after some of our crops began
         to fail here and elsewhere.  While the Zen'da are not farmers
         we have learned to try to apply some light farming.  Enough
         for some small vegetables.  The disaster seemed to be from
         a infestation of bugs.  Then we got reports of various
         sacred graves being opened and left open.  A high disgrace.
         That is the core of the problem we are facing."

       Balrog: [When translated to Marentian Balrog replies] "What!?
         We were called for crop failure and grave robbers?"
       [Caladan doesn't translate this to the Zen'da.]

       Caladan: "That's it?"
       Cetric: "Well there have been unconfirmed reports of battles
         on the eastern border.  A small village of 3 families was
         attacked and burnt.  We've seen warriors to investigate
         but haven't returend yet.  There were also rumors of
         warriors attacking other warriors in some eastern villages.
         Something not done even when a challenge is done.  they
         were attacked in their sleep.  We sent some warriors to
         investigate but the warriors were dead and nothing could
         be proven."

       Caladan: "In Asichi we did hear rumors of graves being opened
         in Ba'raul as well."
       [Cetric turns the Elders in surprise.]
       Cetric: "We have not heard of this."
       Caladan: "Suspects?"
       Cetric: "Huh?"
       Caladan: "Sorry.  Do we know who might be doing it?"
       Cetric: "No.  We do not."
       Trembyl: "Are they looking for something or just robbing?"
       Cetric: "We don't now.  Zen'da are not rich so there would
         normally be nothing to steal."
       Xian: "And the tests then were done for?"
       Cetric: "If the rumors are true then we don't know if you
         have been ...overpowered by spirits or such and so may
         not be yourself.  I was fearful even Caladan himself might
         not be here for our good.  A powerful group like yourself
         could likley take the tribe down.  I had no choice but
         to protect the tribe by poisoning you.  Once I could contain
         the situation...for something I hope never to do again...and
         for that I am sorry to offend...Gib'borah arrived and we
         decided to test everyone to see how each reacted.  In fact
         the tests that showed the best results were Farseeker's,
         Unali's, Chion's, z'leyra's, Strie'bog's and Jordi's.
         From those we learned a great deal.  The others were done
         to test skill and ability.  If you are here to help we
         needed to know your true strengths and maybe weaknesses."

       [he stops and walks to a bowl full of a liquid and puts it
        in his hands.]
       Cetric: "I wish to start over.  to seek your peace and
         your help.  My actions were not honorable but they were
         doen for the best of this tribe.  If you were here to
         harm us I had no choice.  If you are willing ot start
         over let's drink the peace drink and share a common
         goal for the health of the tribe."
       [He drinks from the liquid and waits to show its not
        poisoned.  He then turns and walks to the Elders.  Who
        each drink and nod to the party.  Gib'borah then drinks.
        He walks toward Caladan and hands him the Bowl. Caladan
        takes it and without hesitation drinks it.  He then
        turns to the next person and nods that this s a standard
        custom.  Clearly the liquid is fine.  Xian, Balrog (after
        sniffing it), Farseeker, Kasha and Trembyl all drink from
        it.  They find it to be a tangy water like drink that
        might give a buzz if enough is drunk.]

      GM: Whether or not you drink is up to you.  If some refuse
        to drink nothing is said or done.  Cetric will continue.

       Cetric: "I honestly was not expecting you to return.  I
         was hoping to conduct this on our own.  But i appreciate
         the help.  Our tribal lands are vast over many hundreds
         of square miles.'
       Caladan: "This farming is new since I left.   Is it common
         for the failure?"
       Cetric: "For the last six seasons we only had one other
         failure beyond this one due to weather.  We had outside
         Ba'raul farmers in trade for services done to teach us
         how.  it is still minor operation only dealing with maybe
         a wagon full of vegetables if that."
       Kasha: "These bugs.  Did they eat everything?"
       Cetric: "Yes."
       Caladan: "That's not unusual."
       Cetric: "I suppose not.  Maybe my work to protect the
         crops failed."
       [Gib'borah stands and walks forward. ]
       Gib'borah: "I was away last night to travel to a nearby
         village two days away.  There was a report of a captured
         warrior there.  By the time i got there though he
         was dead.  Killed from wound infection.  But I was told
         he spoke the L'p'nth tongue.  But their nation is far
         away to the south and I've not dealt with them before
         to know their nature or dealings." [He looks at Caladan]
         "But i think you do?"
       Caladan: "You mean Woudenal?"
       Gib'borah: "His place is in the mountains to the south.
         He has had dealings with them?  With his ...abilities
         maybe he knows something?"
       Caladan: "But that's a few hundred miles south of here.
         It could take some time getting to him.  Theres no other
         evidence or places to investigate?"
       Gib'borah: "At this point no."
       Xian: "How many graves have been opened?"
       Gib'borah: "Three sites all within about a day's ride of
         here.  Had about five or six opened in each.  We have
         reports of others to the east and south east maybe a dozen
         or so there."
       Xian: "Any recently?"
       Gib'borah: "Two graves were opened to a site east of here
         near a sacred burial site.  That was two days ago."
       Caladan: "Can we stake out the burial sites?"
       [Gib'borah looks confused at the word.  Caladan rephrases]
       Caladan: "Guard them?  Watch them?"
       Gib'borah: "Theres too many sites on the plains and not enough
         warriors in the entire Zen'da nation."

       Balrog: "I'm sorry but we came here for this?  I thought it
         was an invasion army or something."
       Caladan: "This may be less interesting than dragons indeed
         but its still a problem."

       Xian: "So where do we go from here?"

       [Caladan thinks.]
       Caladan: "I and maybe you could teleport to Woudenal's
         place in the mountain.  Maybe he has heard of something.
         Some can stay here in case more graves are robbed and
         more problems arise?"
       Xian: "i can't teleport but only eight or so miles at a time.
         How far is he?"
       Caladan: "Maybe 400-450 miles to the south roughly in the
         mountains."
       Kasha: "Who is he?"
       Caladan: "Woundenal?  He was my master.  Where I trained and
         got my firesnake from.  Hes old and a bit eccentric but
         tends to be smart and powerful in magic.  He hears things
         as well.  How I still have no clue."
       Xian: "Long ride."

     GM: Enough for now.  Now for some Admin work.

        During the tests everyone got some form of experience be
        it skill, cep or mep.

        [Poison Effects - To Energy Level]

                   Damage  Down by
      *   Balrog     9       27%
          Ben'dar   19       26%    -8 15%
          Jordi      3        4%    100%
          Trembyl   28       14%    -8 9%
          Thig       2        2%    100%
          Unali     14       10%    -8 4%

        Anyone else not listed either didn't take damage from
        the poison or no longer feels the effects.

        At morning of the current day healing occurs of life energy.

                   Damage  Down by   Heals   Now Down by
          Balrog     9       27%      -0-        27%
          Ben'dar   19       26%       8         15%
          Jordi      3        4%       3          0% [Full]
          Trembyl   28       14%       8          9%
          Thig       2        2%       2          0% [Full]
          Unali     14       10%       8          4%

          Everyone but Balrog heals their body from the poison.  Jordi
          and thig no longer even feel the effects by morning of the
          current day.  For others they still do ever so slightly.

                ---------------------------------

          Now for physical damage -

             Player     Damage   Down by
             Balrog        5       33%  [Test Damage]
             Ben'dar       4       14%  [Race Damage]
             Farseeker     5       15%  [Was healed already by Z'leyra]
             Chion        19       52%  [Duel damage]
             Unali         4       11%  [Duel Damage]

          [Chion as planned earlier casts magic on himself for healing.
           He casts Regeneration and Healing.  Regeneration heals 2
           points but -2 to Energy Level.  Healing heals another 6
           points.  Experience added.  EL +1 to Healing spell now!
           You have about 2% chance of dieing now if a 3rd healing
           is done.]

          [Balrog asks Xian for healing and Xian performs the quick
           spell.  Healing him back to 100%]

             Player     Damage   Down by
             Ben'dar       4       14%  [Race Damage]
             Chion        11       30%  [Improved by 22%]
             Unali         4       11%  [Duel Damage]

          [Ben'dar, Unali do you wish healing or wait till the
           morning.  its around 9/10pm now.  So sunrise natural
           healing will occur soon enough in just a couple hours.]

          [Farseeker will wait for another day to get healed the
           rest of his points.]

                           ---------------------------------

          [Summary of Health]
             Player     Hit Points    Energy Level    Notes
             Balrog     -0 @ 100%      -9 @  73%    {Poison]
             Ben'dar    -4 @  86%      -8 @  85%    [Bruise/Poison]
             Farseeker  -5 @  85%      -0 @ 100%    [Bruise Damage]
             Jordi      -0 @ 100%      -0 @ 100%    [100% Health]
             Xian       -0 @ 100%      -0 @ 100%    [100% Health]
             chion     -11 @  70%      -2 @  98%    [Bruise/Magic Damage]
             Trembyl    -0 @ 100%      -8 @  91%    [Poison Damage]
             Strie'bog  -0 @ 100%      -0 @ 100%    [100% Health]
             Kasha      -0 @ 100%      -0 @ 100%    [100% Health]
             Thig       -0 @ 100%      -0 @ 100%    [100% Health]
             Unali      -4 @  89%      -8 @  96%    [Duel/Poison Damage]
             Z'leyra    -0 @ 100%      -0 @ 100%    [100% Health]

                           ---------------------------------

          [Summary of Mana Resources]
             Player       Currently as of this update
             Caladan           100% [Full]
             Thig              100% [Full]
             Jordi              -17 Mana Currently
             Xian               - 8 Mana Currently
             Chion              -11 Mana Currently
             Trembyl            - 6 Mana Currently
             Strie'bog          -17 Mana Currently
             Z'leyra            -?? Mana Currently

             * Z'leyra will have to calculate all the various spells
               you've been doing and figure this out.  Will inform
               eventually in ICQ.

                           ---------------------------------

          [Other Notes]

            During Combat Armor Damage was taken by the Chainmail
            of both Chion and Farseeker.  They are now effectively
            AV 2 not AV 3 Suits of Armor.

            Ben'dar just a reminder since you tried the whip still
            unskilled you got partial expertise so your getting
            there to learn the skill.

            Food Report updated.  Party is fed by Village for the
            2 days so far.  So report is updated and on website.

            Spells for first 2 days in Village.  Aside from Chion
            saying he casts his normal spells and the spells used
            during the tests/day let me know.  Personally it looks
            like things may be too hetic for some normal and spell
            use at this point.

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday...

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721