[pnpgm] Game Update #2b - File #11 - Plans to be Made, Gear and Travel

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Mar 15 05:38:57 CET 2005

     Alias/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
     Balrog                Balrog            Warrior Normal/Human  Ma
     Chris Wells           Ben'dar           Warrior Normal/Human  Ma
     Tom Crockett          Caladan           Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
     Marcel Liberty        Chion             Sailor  Normal/Human  Ma
     Bob Eldred/Nomad      Damon             Sailor  Normal/Human  Ma
     Ryan Torres           Farseeker         Warrior Normal/Human  Ma
     Sergi Sallent         Jordi             Wizard  Normal/Elf    Ma
     Tim Falkenberg        Malradh ben Kasha Merc    Normal/Human  Ma
     Wayne Richardson/Uji  Thig              Sidh MU Normal/Faerry Ma
     Orion (Paul Broman)   Trembyl           Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
     Wout Broere           Unali             Ninja   Normal/Human  Fe
     Scott Adams           Xian              Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
     Alex Koponen          Z'leyra           Healer  Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #2b in sequence (file #11)

     Admin notes: None

     Some Administration work needs to be done.

     * Equipment

       As I stated with the new adventure comes new stricter use of
       the rules.  As such equipment will be a major factor.  I
       listed the various aspects (Encumberance and item durability
       to name a few).  So keep this in mind in the following
       sections.

       A) Armor/Weapons - When you select what to take to the Plains
          keep in mind the durability of said items.  However, don't
          get carried away with buying say 3 suits of armor just
          cause one may wear out.  More than one will add to your
          personal gear load and may not even be needed.  A spare
          weapon might be useful but then again may be waste of
          space and time.

       B) Food - The trip will be lengthy (see below) so you should
          decide what you are taking in terms of food.  From the
          basic boring travel rations to full blown meats and
          fruits to eat.  This is your decision.  Travel rations are
          fine but in terms of the Fatigue or Exhaustion aspect of
          the game they might not give you the full blown protein
          like a good slab of meat might.  Also keep in mind there
          is Survival and Hunting that can be done or food so that
          is another aspect if you wish to do that on the trip
          its very possible.  I will be taking care of food values
          as well.  So if you buy 3 weeks of rations I'll mark off
          the amount at the end of the trip or daily.

       C) Travel/Camping Gear - There may be the occasional town or
          village on the way.  But for the most part it will be
          wilderness so in your equipment selection (assuming you
          don't already have it) you should consider travel and
          camping gear.

       D) Clothing - It is september and as such fall is approaching
          if not already here.  In the coast of Marentia is still
          pretty balmy.  In the higher mountains there are patches
          of snow.  On the plains it will be just like the Great
          American Plains.  So nights may be rather cool down to
          the 60s or even 50s.  But in the day time it could go
          a bit hot into the 80s and in some rare cases 90s this
          time of year.  The biggest difference in climate would
          be near sunrise/sunset.  Basically consider this in your
          clothing selection.  Armor can also get very hot so
          long use/wearing of it could drain your reserves and
          up your Exhaustion value.  Snow on the plains is doubtful
          this time of year but in the high Marentian Mountains
          there could indeed be some.

       E) Coins - Let me know what you take with you and what you
          do not.  There are options.  You can leave some coins
          with a Moneylender to store or have someone hold it
          if you trust them or leave it some place you trust.  This
          could include Z'leyra's or Ben'dar's manor/ranch.

       E) Equipment Selection - What I need from you guys is exactly
          what you are taking on the trip and leaving behind.
          If you leave behind and in some special area - a ranted
          storage area or your hotel or such let me know.  Since
          what will be on your sheet will need to be determined for
          its purpose.  So if you forget that Jewel Necklace then
          you won't have it.  So basically what I need from you
          is info on gear your taking and not.  There are several
          ways to do this.  You can cut/paste the gear section
          of your character sheet and maybe use a symbol like
          a * or T by the item if your taking it.  If you are taking
          a bulk of your gear say 75% or greater than maybe only
          tell me what stuff your NOT taking (the 25% say).  I will
          then mark it on my copies of your sheet as to what gear
          you'll have and that's it.

       F) Horses - HEre is a list of who has what
          Balrog         Riding Horse III
          Ben'dar        Horse - Unknown Type
          Caladan        Riding Horse IV
          Chion     **   None
          Farseeker      War Horse III
          Jordi     **   None
          Kasha          Riding Horse II
          Thig           Riding Horse III
          Trembyl        Riding Horse III
          Unali          War Horse III
          Xian           Riding Horse I
          Z'leyra   **   None

          So 3 people will need horses.  All are player characters
          so you guys will have to buy them.  Let me know what
          you buy.  Let me know the basic type like Riding Horse II
          and I'll use some of Ben'dar's contacts for reduced
          prices and quality in haggling.

       G) Gear List - You can use the basic gear list I have typed
          up on the website or the book's (same thing).  IF there
          is an item not on the list let me know.

                -----------------------

     * Travel

       From Sivas theres two options likely 4 days on the road
       to Maren city or over Lake Sivas.  So the party will
       likely take a boat to Maren and save Half that time.

       Sivas to Maren     -  Lake - 110 Miles
       Maren to Cholchara -  Road - 190 miles
       Cholchara to Plains- River - 420-450 Miles
                          or Land - 370 Miles

       This is the estimated route at this point.  The slowest
       horse in the party determines the movement rate.  Since
       that would be a Riding Horse I that's 25 miles per day
       on horse.  Roads can help this factor.  The roads on
       the route are secondary (not primary highways) so they
       will increase speed x1 to x1.5.  Let's assume for
       now a basic x1.25 speed making 25x1.25=32 miles.  Lake
       travel would depned on wind and other factors but we'll
       assume 50 miles on average. This translated roughly to the
       time table:

       Sivas to Maren     -  Lake - 1- 2 Days [Depending on wind, etc.]
       Maren to Cholchara -  Road -    6 Days
       Cholchara to Plains- River - 8- 9 Days
                          or Land -11-12 Days

     So basedon first glance of the map it will take at LEAST 25 days
     to 29 days.  In a rough way it seems high for a 800 mile trip
     but this time may reduce as the game progresses.

     So my guess right now is plan for a 3-4 week trip at least.
     This also does not include time once you get to the border
     of the tribal lands.  After that there may be more travel
     but only maybe 100 miles at most.

     You can plan your gear purchases on the above trip.  If you
     follow th eroad from Maren to Cholchara you'll see there
     are a couple big cities so you can resupply there if needed.

   That's it for now.  Let me know what you guys do/buy.

   Next update will likely be a minor one on Friday.  I'll wait
   for everyone to reply before we move on to start the actual
   trip.  BTW, let me know guys if there is a resource you need
   or want on the game website for quick access.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933