[pnpgm] Jordi Wedding Gift from Ben'Dar

Chris and Karen Wells ckwells at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 22:51:15 CET 2005

Since Jordi's wedding was somewhere far away in a Wild Forest among the Elves, Ben'Dar waits until he meets up with Jordi again to present him with a gift.

Upon seeing Jordi in Sivas, Ben'Dar strides toward him excitedly, a broad smile on his face.  Shaking Jordi's hand exuberantly and clapping him heartily on the back, he says loudly, "Friend Jordi!  It's good to see you again!  Congratulations on your wedding.  I trust it was a wonderful time for you and Neva?"

After chatting for several minutes about Jordi's wedding, Ben'Dar motions to the door of the tavern with one hand, "Come outside with me, I have a wedding gift for you."

He leads Jordi outside to a small stable nearby the tavern.  Inside, being groomed by a handler, is a very young horse, a foal of exceptional quality.  It is full of energy and its coat is glossy with health.  Upon seeing Ben'Dar, the handler stops brushing the foal.  The foal whinnies playfully and trots over to nuzzle Ben'Dar's outstretched hand.

Looking at Jordi, Ben'Dar smiles.  "Not a bad little fellow, is he.  I just purchased him from a farmer on the other side of Marentia.  He has perfect lines and impressive blood.  I think he will be one of the fastest horses in the land....once he's been properly trained.  His name is Velox, which is a Zen'Dan word that means "swift", though you may come up with a better name for him in Elven."

"In the Fel'oros clan, when a man is wed, it is my people's custom for each family in the tribe to give him a horse.  Rather than simply purchase you a horse, I wanted to honor you and Neva by hand-picking this young colt and training him personally."

"He will be yours once I've properly trained him for you.  It will take several years, but when he is ready, Velox will be as fleet as a hare, as bold as a lion, and absolutely obedient to your commands.  It is my gift to you and Neva." Ben'Dar concludes with a small bow and brings the foal over to meet his new master.