[pnpgm] Game update #24 - File #94 - Party moves north/first encounters..

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Jul 19 06:13:01 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #24 in sequence (file #94]

     Admin notes: Thanks to Wout who seems to have a archived website
     of my website (a mirror site) I was able to find the main page
     (index.htm) for the old pbem.  Its back.  Also the red check mark
     gif.  So its back.  Just leaves some intro posts 1) What is a
     pbem/rpg? 2.  What is P&P.  I'm sure you guys know this already
     :) 3. Summary - Adventure summary a big summary file of past
     events.  and 4. Timeline for adventure #2.  Oh well.  Nothing
     critical to lose I guess.  The last 2 were really support files.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar knows well that to ride uninvited through the middle
          of another tribe's land is a good way to die very quickly.
          So he votes for (1).

          He's a little bored after learning sign language for 11 days
          straight, so Ben'Dar will switch back to improving his
          horsemanship skill and will give instruction to whomever
          requests it.

          Ben'Dar is very familiar with this type of country and has
          pretty decent skill in plains survival, so he will take a
          "point" position and scout ahead a bit as the party proceeds
          on horseback.  He will be watching for possible enemies,
          ambushes, etc and will try to help the party avoid any
          unplanned encounters with the Ser'manda people.  Also, he will
          keep his eyes open for safe places to sleep each night and also
          keep a watch for good game trails to do a little hunting (which
          might provide a nice change from travel rations for dinner!)
        GM:  Ack.  But as for as hunting goes.  Hunting on another tribe's
          land is worse than traveling on it.  :)  Just keep that in mind.

                                -------------------------

        From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          Being a little bit overconfident and reckless, Jordi will vote
          for the shortest route.  He believes the party is strong enough
          to defeat any encounters it can have.

          "I don't know if the four days will be vital or not.  But, the
           sooner the help arrives Caladan family, the better."

          "Well, Ben'dar, my uncle is an elven King.  He has three sons,
           but two of them doesn't seem very interested in the crown; and
           the third is too young, but he doesn't seem interested, also.
           So, perhaps I end with the responsability of ruling my people.
           I have learned a thing or two about humans and diplomacy, and
           I have some useful contacts and friends here and there (Jordi
           places a hand in Ben'dar shoulder and blinks), but one thing
           I have discovered: this (and while saying this, Jordi unsheats
           his sword) is vital for the security of a kingdom, be it small,
           as my uncle's kingdom, or big, as Marentia.  And another thing
           I have discovered is that we can't afford to live isolated, in
           our small kingdom, oblivious of the rest of the world. Sooner
           or later, we will have to fight.  On the defensive or in the
           offensive.  And I want to be ready when that happens, and I
           want to be on the offensive, because in this way our lands and
           people won't suffer.  And yes, I have some ideas...but they are
           still in a  very early stage of development."

           Jordi won't cast magic for the next days, hoping to recover
           from the masive expendidure of mana he has made in the last
           days.

           "Well, a pity we can't continue in the barge... but perhaps
            it will be better this way."

           Jordi will train one day in horse archery, and another day
           in horsemanship, and of course, he will keep teaching Ben'dar
           (if he wishes) in Sign Language.

           Once he has 75% mana, he will continue with his current magic
           practices: cast a knowledge spell when he can, maximum El,
           with a minimum El purification and luck spell, this time to
           improve his concealing mist spell, and casting a foyson theft
           spell, at minimum EL, every day that his mana level is 75%
           or more.
        GM: Ack. No magic.  Alternate Archery/Horsemanship days.  Ben'dar
        isn't going to do sian language. Oh so you do some magic.  Righto.

                                -------------------------

        Post from Strie'bog: [Re: Actions/vote]
          "While speed is desired, so to is safety, for we will be of
           little help if we have to fight our way to Caladan's tribe.
           Traveling  by the river will be longer, but should ensure
           that we arive in fit shape to be of aid."

          Strie'bog will approach Z'leyra.  "You have spoken of healing
          herbs and plants.  My mother showed me how to make a few salves
          for massage, but little else.  If you have time as we travel,
          could I talk to you about the plants that can be used to help
          the wounded or infirmed?"

          Each night when it is safe, Strie'bog will entertain his
          companions with song or story.  If anyone wants to learn to
          play, he will gladly teach.
        GM: Ack.  Learn Herbalism.  Entertainment is always good a trip.

                                -------------------------

        Post from Z'leyra: [Re: Actions/vote]
          Z'leyra will offer "Any of you that wish to study herbs and
          plants I would be happy to teach as we travel along. Some are
          quite effective at helping heal wounds or diseases."

          <She will switch from practicing shield skill to studying and
          teaching Herbalist. She will keep her eyes open for NMIs.>

          Z'leyra will throw her vote alongside Caladan's "Caladan is the
          expert in  knowing this area. I suggest we heed his advice as
          to which route to take. He best knows how to balance the risk
          and the need for speed."
        GM: Ack.  Herbalist skill.

                                -------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar signs to Jordi, "So you are high-born among your
          people?  You will be a powerful leader among your people
          someday, Jordi.  And when that day comes, do not hesitate
          to call upon me to ride with you!"

          When the horseback-riding resumes, Ben'Dar comments to
          Jordi, "Thank you for the instruction in sign language over
          the past many days.  I think it is a useful skill to have
          in many situations that call for silent communication,
          whether it be hunting, or battle.  It would be good for
          all our friends to learn it also."
        GM: Jordi blushes but not because of what you said but you
          sorta missed a word or two.  It sorta turned o "ride
          upon you.".  But you realize the mistake and fix it. :)

                                -------------------------

        From Jordi to Caladan:
          "Excuse me, Caldadan, but I don't speak a word of your  tongue,
           and I think it will be good that some  of us can speak with
           your family. Do you mind if I cast a tongues spell on you? In
           this way, I will be able to speak with your people."
        GM: Caladan agrees.

     [With a clear majority of 9 out of 13 votes now in.  The trip
      is decided to go by the riverbank.]

     GM: Skills and Spells decided.  Chion didn't get spells from
       you so will assume the basics you've been casting each day.
       At encounters you can change your plans but this advenced
       info just lets me keep easy book-keeping.

     *** WARNING ***

     GM: At this point things get tougher.  As stated at the start
       of this adventure I'm invoking more of the rule sets.
       Specifically for combat (exhaustion, infection, etc.), magic
       (more strict on use, movement, failures, etc.), and item damage
       (armor and weapon damage).  For the core group except for Rob
       and Chris this will apply for you.  But I MAY be a bit more
       lenient on Chris/Rob since they have so few items as is and
       are starting out.  Just depends on situation.  Keep in mind
       I try not to kill off folks unless they do something stupid.
       Walk across a 1 foot ledge over a lava tube.  Don't blame me
       if you fall in :)  Seriously, combat may get a bit more bloody.
       But don't let this deter your actions.  Anything that happens
       to your magic items, armor or weapons is not on purpose or out
       of some evil GM thing.  At least 99.9% of the time it will be
       purely random.  Unless a PC class villian is there he will
       choose his targets.  But if its a npc villian they will likely
       randomly choose targets AND items to destroy.  Same for monsters.
       Just a disclaimer.  :)

                        ---------------------------------

     GM: The following dialogue occurs not on any particular day
       but will occur over the next few days travelling by the
       river.  It serves as setup for various things.

     Trembyl: "Caladan, I've never been on the plains or met any
       of your people besides you and Ben'dar.  What do you plainsman
       mainly do besides fight?"
     Caladan: "The Zen'da tribes are hunters, herders and raiders.
       Most tribes only hunt for their sole survival.  Most have
       a balance on the plains and a belief to keep that balance
       so one particular animal group doesn't get destroyed fully.
       Some on the fringes like the forest to the west or even
       the mountain bordering tribes to the south may hunt to sell
       in towns outside their lands for food or trade items.  Many
       of the central and eastern tribes are great herdsmen.  We
       have various herds like horses and cattle.  In many regards
       this is a new concept to our people.  To some the number of
       animals denotes power but also how viable the tribe may be
       in its survival aspects...think of it like in some cultures
       a family will have many kids to show how manly the head of
       the family is...same concept.  To our people horses are the
       central animal to our life.  We are all riders and so strong
       horse collectives exist.  This is likely why Ben'dar started
       his ranch due to his personal experience.  There are no
       real sportsman hunters on the plains.  We only kill for food
       and their by products.  Those who do otherwise may find themselves
       in trouble.  As to raiding we have been known to fight among
       ourselves or outsiders for centuries.  We've seen our share of
       invasions like from the west.  But in most cases we have never
       lost much territory.  In some regards the plains is both a great
       source of materials for our life but also serves as a area where
       outsiders know not to enter.  We pretty much own the entire great
       eastern plains."

     Kasha: "How many are there in the tribes?"
     Caladan: "The tribes are divided up into three main groups.
       The Western tribes consist of 7 tribes and some estimate them
       at about 120,000.  The central 4 tribes have about 80,000.
       The eastern 3 tribes have about 75,000.  But there is no
       civilized census so figures are estimates only.  Some scholars
       believe it ranges from 250-300,000.  We have about 10-15 percent
       of that as a warrior force."
     Kasha: "That many warriors for such a large area...."
     Caladan: "Yes.  One could ride for days without seeing any
       one in particular.  Some tribes even move around at times
       depending on grazing and food sources.  My people tend to
       stay in a few select places though."

     Kasha: "Can one buy a good steppe horse here?"
     Caladan: "Not buy.  There is no use for coins on the plains.
       We deal in barter and trade.  Course fmaily connections also
       help in that regard.  The plains horses are the fastest
       around in many lands.  As a result they are highly prized."

     Kasha: "I've heard rumors some tribes eat other...ahh..people?"
     Caladan [Laughs then continues] "No.  Though some border tribes
       not of the Zen'da have been knwon to do such in the far north.
       We are not that uncivilized.  Shamans have a high station in
       our culture as many worship animal spirits and forces.  The
       Zen'da are mainly nature oriented folk but not aot as bad
       as some Druids.  We believe in a balance with nature between
       the lowest creature that crawls or flies to the great prey
       birds in the sky like Z'leyra's eagle there.  We are a very
       simple down to earth folk who use this balance to its fullest."

     Farseeker: "I know some of the details but it might be good
       to get a run down on your leader chain of command?"
     Caladan: "We have no organized military as Marentia.  We have
       tribal chiefs and war chiefs.  If you hear someone say they
       are a "Sha" they are a chief.  The tribal chief would be
       a "Ga'Sha." In some rare cases or in times of war a multitribal
       chief may be needed.  This would be the "Ho'ga'sha."  These
       multi-tribal chiefs must be fierce fighters with a good success
       rate in battle.  There is currently one such in the far west
       in the Bra'mani tribes.  Though I've never met him.  Ben'dar
       have you?  Since you would be closer to those lands maybe
       you've seen him?  Maybe one day I will get to meet him."

     Xian: "is there anything we should be worried about with customs
        or laws of your people?"
     Caladan: "Not much other than common sense.  Best not to interfer
       with a warrior or his items.  Its a honro thing and if you
       tarnish his honor it could be bad.  Shamans usually determine
       punishment from banishment to death.  But overall most of our
       people do not commit crimes like most civilized people do."

       [He pauses then continues...]
       "Unali, Thig and Jordi...you may have some problems.  First many
        of our people have never seen a faerry or a elf.  Maybe those
        in the west have.  But in my area they have not.  Best not
        to wander around without either myself or Ben'dar to vouch
        for you.  Those who are not warriors really have little or
        no rights in this land.  This includes females.  I..."

       [He stops and turns his horse to face these 3 and others]
       "I ..should have said something before on this matter.  But
        I didn't want to offend.  As long as I speak for you there
        should not be a problem.  Just specifically you three should
        keep things subdued when dealing with the people.  This
        includes the wizards of the group if you don't seem to be
        a warrior."

     Xian: "Great! I should have no problem and get tons of respect!"

     Caladan: [Laughs] " Well...best not to get a 10 year old boy
       angry he might knock youd down!" [he grins]

     Xian: "Gee so much confidence in me.  I've only died...or
       came close to it...a few times!  But hey so has Farseeker!"
     Farseeker: "Yes but at least I took a few with me instead of
       being hurt by a beggar1"

     Xian: "That beggar in Sivas had bad breath.  I only tripped
       getting out of his way!"
     Farseeker: "Yeah right!"

     Caladan: "Well for the most part our people are honor oriented
       so don't do anything that will hurt a person's honor and
       everyone should do fine."

                        --------------------

     Sepes 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [An hour later after the barge is long gone from sight Thig
        quietly pulls up and whispers to the group.  He does this
        though out of hear shot from Ben'dar and Strie'bog.  Ben'
        dar is ahead scouting and Strie'bog is giving the wolf some
        water.  So he speaks to the core clima mission group.]

       Thig: "Didn't want to mention this earlier.  But that slug
         creature that sunk the ship?  Well its bad news.  I spent
         time with Kaylle doing research on clima after we got home.
         Those things I recall seeing a picture in a book.  They
         are wood slugs found only in the lower world.  They are used
         by climan pirates to sink ships slowly after they raid them.
         But the pirates get those slugs from the Priestess sect.
         I don't think this is a far fetched connection."
       Farseeker: "There was a rumor that some folks speaking climan
         were in Cholchara which is pretty rare.  Do you think we
         are being chased?"
       Thig: "Don't know.  But they probably wanted to sink the
         ship before getting to the plains.  Even climans wouldn't
         enter the plains without backup no matter how strong they
         might be."
       Kasha: "Bounty hunters or mercenaries might if the price
         is good.  but it would have to be a large group to take
         us on and we'd see them coming for miles out here."
       Farseeker: "I agree.  So I think we can worry about that
         when we return to Marentia."
       Trembyl: "Think the crew was in it?"
       Xian: "Likely not.  They wouldn't get rid of their source
         of living."

     Sepes 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [The rest of the time traveling that day finds the day
        cool only in the high 60s as clouds roll in.  A big
        wind storm seems to keep going on the plains for hours
        which makes lose things fly from people so they have
        to hamper down and tie things stronger no horses.]

     Sepes 31, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [Even though clouds leave the area and its sunny all day
        the temperatures are still only in the high 60s all day.
        At one point around mid afteroon a small cool drizzle
        comes and goes as fast as it starts.]

     Sepes 32, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [The temperature drops a few degrees in the mid 60s
        when a few clouds roll in making it partly cloudy all
        day.  Around 10am a rain storm is seen in the distance.
        This gives the group plenty of time to prepare.  They
        notice it has lightning and heavy rains.  So the horses
        are gathered around a small few low bushes and tents
        are setup for people and gear.  The rain storm finally
        arrives 20 minutes later and lasts for a good half hour
        as the plains get drenched.]

     Sepes 33, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [The skies are all sunny for hours until about 2pm when
        a quick rain storm approaches.  The party avoids it
        though when it moves through the area fast.  The temperature
        even gets as high as the low 80s today so its a bit warmer
        finally.]

     Sepes 34, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [Temperatures are moderate in the 70s today.  A big haze
        seems to blot the distance all day in the distance.]

     Sepes 35, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [The day is dark and gray with overcast but warm in the
        mid 70s.  No adverse weather takes place though.]

       [Around 2:15pm Ben'dar comes riding back and annouces
        he finds some people ahead.  The party slows down and
        scans the river.  In fact about a mile down the river
        to the north and coming down is a small raft about
        20x20 wide.  On it are 6 people.  At first those on
        the raft don't spot the party then they do.  Caladan
        and Ben'dar recognizeds them as Zen'da.]

       Xian: "Do Zen'da have boats as a normal rule?"
       Caladan: "The Ser'manda may have a dozen or half that
         many small rafts at any one time for transportation or
         fishing as an example.  My epople up river may have twice
         that many..."

       [Unali loans Caladan her spyglass.  Caladan studies the
        riders on the raft.  Its not much use running away on the
        plains as usually by the tiem you see someone they see you
        since the plains are flat and one can see for miles in
        some situations.]

       Caladan: "Ahh...I see.  Outcasts.  The way they are dressed
         and marked.  Each carries a hair braid that denotes them
         as a banished person.  They must've done something to
         be banished from their small tribe."

       Xian: "Should we approach them?  Where they going?"
       Caladan: "Probably south down the river to find a camp.
        They could be my people.  its hard to tell at this distance.
        I suggest we let them be.  Outcasts seek honor.  They may
        just want to attack us to regain that honor.  Six against
        us is not good odds even if three of them appear to be
        older females.  They would know they have no chance.  No.
        Best let them be.  They are likely scared of us and wish
        to avoid us."

       [Caladan suggests the party moves on but stays back from the
        shore to give them space.  The party moves on with a rear
        guard and spotters setup.  The raft goes by and leaves sight
        of the party soon after down the fast river.  A half hour
        later the rear sentries report no sign of them.  A few hours
        later camp is setup that night.]

       [At Camp...]
       Trembyl: "Outcasts are common?"
       Caladan: "No.  In fact those are the first.  But its one
         thing to wear those beads which denote their shame.  If
         they take them off and are caught they could suffere further
         punishment.  When I was a boy I did hear of one warrior
         who was banished to the south mountains but never saw him."
       Xian: "So six could be?"
       Caladan: "Likley the three men are warriors who shamed themselves
         in battle or lost great honor.  The local shaman probably
         felt their family should suffer as well.  Likely its just
         that.  I saw no children.   So that's a good sign.

     Sepes 36, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [The day is dreary again with overcast all day.  ITs
        cooler in the lower 60s.  Three times that day drizzle
        hits the party just enough to dampens clothing and gear.]

     Sepes 36, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains

       [Cool day so warm clothing is donned.  A few clouds here
        and there.  For about 6 hours a wind storm blows pretty
        hard blowing hair and clothing this way and that.]

       [Around 9:36am.  Eagle squaks and gets the attention of
        the party.  The horses stop and distance is scanned. Then
        the party sees them riding toward them from the south. A
        large group on horses.  Coming fast in a surge of dust.
        The party quickly groups up and tries to study the situation
        fast.  Caladan raises his hand to his head to get a better
        view from the blazing sun's glare in the sky. A mile out
        Caladan concentrates and then borrows Unali's spyglass after
        she gets it out of her bag.]

       Caladan: "From their markings they are Ser'manda.  Not my
         people.  All seem to be warriors on fast horses.  We
         couldn't outrun them as a group.  I better ride ahead
         and see if i can talk to them first.  Ben'dar if I
         call you better ride up to me, ok?"

      Trembyl: "Shouldn't we--"

      [But caladan quickly rides off to meet the riders.
       He makes quick speed and the riders all stop about half
       a mile away.  They slow down and close in within a
       short distance.  Caldan stops about 200 feet from the
       party.  The riders stop about 200 feet from him.  Muffled
       voices are heard in the distance.  A single rider breaks
       off and trots toward caladan.]

      [The eagle flies toward the group and circles about 50 feet
       above the group eyeing them.  Z'leyra notices this with
       great intrigue.   One of the riders brings up a bow to the
       sky but then another quickly subdues him and the rider lowers
       his bow.  Not a good sign.  Though it could just be
       a hunting instinct?]

      [Unali hands the spyglass to Ben'dar.  Ben'dar eyes the riders
       and watches them carefully as the tension grows.  Then Ben'dar's
       eye jerks back to one rider.  Ben'dar sits up in the saddle
       fully and studies the rider.  He recognizes him.  ...he
       was the one person on the raft a few days ago.  But this time
       hes not wearing an outcast braid.  What could this mean?]

     GM: By now the party has travelled almost 100 miles up the
      river shoreline area.  Ther eare about 11 riders.  Some have
      bows, scimitars and one or two may have a lance.  Hard to
      tell at this distance on details and some may be armored but
      unsure.

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday...

     GM: Ok.  Its past midnight here.  So I've run out of time to
     process spells.  So I'm not sure of your mana counts at this
     point.  If you plan to use magic give me a day or two and
     I'll try to do them and get a supplement update out on this
     info or a private email.  Otherwise plan your actions.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933