[pnpgm] Game update #31 - File #123 - Hippogriff combat begins

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Fri Aug 12 06:03:17 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #31 in sequence (file #123]

     Admin notes: None

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          [For full details on what this is in reference to see website.
           I have deleted the old text for space.]

          As Caladan talks with the Zen'Dan warriors, Ben'Dar calmly
          meets the gaze of the warriors as they eye the party.  He is
          careful to display no emotion other than confidence.  As
          Caladan introduces Ben'Dar, Ben'Dar will nod to Jorg'in in
          acknowledgement.

          Ben'Dar snorts quietly and tries, unsuccessfully, to stifle a
          laugh at this.  He will definitely have to bring this up again
          in the future to tease Thig

          Ben'Dar thinks that this is fair and that it will be a good
          offering to these nomads to gain their friendship and possible
          help during the quest.  If no one voices an argument, Ben'Dar
          will lean down to untie two of the Se'’manda warhorses.  Holding
          their leads, he will trot over to the leader, Jorg'in, and hand
          the reins of the two horses over to him.  Bowing his head
          slightly, he says in a respectful tone, “I have heard of the
          Eagle Society.  You are well respected among my people, the
          Fel'oros.  I am sorry that you lost warriors and horses to
          the raiders.  Take these to replace those you lost.”  He gives
          a warrior salute (whatever that may be) and trots back to
          rejoin the party.

          Ben'Dar can't resist.  He leans over and grinning mischievously,
          says, "Can you blame them though?  You do sorta look like a cute
          little pet that Caladan capture" somewhere!”  Winking at Thig and
          laughing uproariously, Ben'Dar kicks Tef'wo into a gallop and
          pulls ahead.

          Ben'Dar considers this for a moment.  Then, looking around
          briefly to be sure no others are nearby to overhear, Ben'Dar
          says in a low voice, "My friend, you are like a brother to me,
          so I will tell you of my great shame.  I cannot return to my
          people.  Not now.  When you found me on that cursed island,
          bound and about to be sacrificed by the Climans"  Ben'Dar
          turns his head and spits on the ground to emphasize his
          distaste of the memory.  "I was in deepest despair.  I was
          shamed, dishonored.  When the Climans captured me, I was
          supposed to be guarding one of the Fel'oros Elders who was
          traveling to another tribe to make a trade agreement.  When
          the Climans found us, I was away from camp, riding as I often
          do in the early mornings.  The Elder was captured and when I
          returned
 they tripped my horse on a rope, killing it.  I was
          tangled in a net and bound before I could even raise a weapon."
          Looking at the ground, his face flushed with shame, Ben'Dar
          continues, "I was taken without a fight, the Elder captured,
          my mission a failure."  Shaking his head, Ben'Dar looks up,
          "No, I will not return to my people until I have proven myself
          and regained my honor.  I will return to them in triumph,
          bringing horses and supplies.  I will return only when I can
          claim a rightful place in the warrior society of the Fel'oros."
          Looking suddenly fierce, he whispers urgently,  "No one is to
          know of this.  It is between you and I alone."  Then relaxing
          slightly, Ben'Dar puts his hand on Caladan's shoulder, "Thank
          you for the offer for me to return to my people but I pledged
          myself to your cause, my brother. I will stay by your side
          through the end of this quest."

          (OOC:  It's ok to post this conversation publicly
it's just
          confidential” for role-playing purposes.)

          Ben'Dar will quickly help tie up the remaining 5 Ser’manda
          warhorses along with the draft horses.  He will stay near
          them, because he knows that hippogriffs love to eat horseflesh
          and they will go after the unguarded horses first to try to
          get an easy meal.  Ben'Dar learned this lesson the hard way
          when he was a young boy, in charge of guarding Fel'oros horses.
          His back still bears scars from the beating he received after
          letting several valuable horses be taken by hippogriffs!  He
          shouts, "Yes, stay near the horses   the hippogriffs will go
          after them if they are left unguarded!"

          Ben'Dar stows his spear in its carrying straps on Tef'wo's
          side. Pulling out his bow, he will begin firing arrows at the
          approaching hippogriffs as soon as they are within -long-
          range.  He will continue firing right up until they get to
          within point blank range.  At that point, he will keep firing
          if they stay out of skewering-range in the air.  However, if
          one lands or one trys to attack him close-up, he'll drop the
          bow and whip out his spear, attacking at a charge if possible.

          Just one clarification
  During the fight with the hippogriffs,
          Ben'Dar stays on his horse.  I didn’t specify that in my earlier
          email, though you probably assumed it since Ben’Dar generally
          prefers fighting on horseback.
        GM:  Warriors eye you but nothing else.  They seem to pass you
          by in their observation and more interested in the others.
          Guess you look like one of them.   Which of course you do. :)

          As to teasing Thig he glares at you while Xian, Farseeker
          especially like the humor.  As you ride off Thig's dogs
          bark at your horse while thig smirks.  Maybe thinking some
          evil thought...:)

          Jorg'in takes the horses and listens to you.  He nods and
          thanks you.  He seems distracted and tired likely from
          moving from place to place.  Coruse hes likely been up all
          night from the previous encounter.

          Caladan later listens to your quiet speech.  He nods.  His
          eyes seem to widen then shrink.  Then shine in concern.  He
          finally spekas after you end.
          Caladan: "I did not know this.  I'm sorry to hear of it.
            I respect your decision.  This means nothing to me however
            and you've proven yourself worthy to travel with me and
            these people.  Maybe we cna help to get your honor back
            to the people.  I understand and this will remain between
            you and me." [His eyes shine respect but not pity in
            his facial expression.  It seemed like he had more to
            say but didn't.]

          Ack on actions.  Good role-playing :)

                        -----------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
           Unali will stay on her horse and ready her magical sling.
           She will try to hit the hippogrifs once they get to medium
           range or closer.

           Only when the hippogrifs get too close and stay close (trying
           to attack the horses) she will switch to two daggers and
           attack them with daggers
        GM: Ack.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          With hippogriffs coming in an aggressive manner and it likely
          to be bad public relations to make them pets Z'leyra will have
          to deal with these more firmly. A risk any predator takes is
          thatt's prey may strike back.

          She tells the horses to be calm and stay with the people - that
          the people would protect them.

          Z'leyra will start by casting Orient Self at the highest EL
          she can do in 1 phase. Until they get near range she will cast
          Luck EL1 on those nearest her.

          When they get close enough she will Cast Paralysis EL3 through
          her staff on the first hippogriff to come within 80 feet.

          Then she will cast Paralysis through her staff once per phase
          at the most dangerous hippogriff of the phase at the highest EL
          she can that only takes 1 phase (with Orient Self + Staff) to
          cast. After they are all paralyzed or otherwise taken care of
          she will strike the ones nearing the end of the spell with her
          staff...with  the usual bonuses from behind etc. to make it
          quick for them.

          Afterwards she will say a Kameri prayer for their spirits to
          enjoy their time as spirits and to be reborn when and where
          the time is correct.
        GM: Ack. That last part surprises me.  In almost a year of gaming
          (game time) you've never done that :)

                                ---------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          Strie'bog will stay back with the horses, allowing others to
          herd them, and use his bow along with 'Fire Arrow EL 1' to
          try to take out Hippogriffs as they approach.
        GM: Ack.  It will take 2 phases to cast at EL1 and 1 at EL0

     Sepes 42, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 270 Miles
         North of Asichi City, Heading East from River, around 1pm

     [People prepare for battle.  No one has of yet posted their
      starting position on the map so will place as I figure folks
      spread out.]

     [Balrog makes sure his short sword is sheated and ready for
      quick draw.  He then places several throwing daggers along
      the edge of the saddle.  Then he grabs his sling and bag
      of sling ammo.]

     [Caladan places his warstaff sideways in front of him in
      the saddle so he cna quickly grab it.  He then adjusts
      his quiver and loads his composite bow.]

     [Ben'dar prepares the horses and then adjusts his spear.
      Finally he grabs his bow and readies his quiver.]

     [Farseeker makes sure his great sword is ready for to grab.
      He then dismounts quickly to get his pike from a draft
      horse.  he then remounts his horse and holds the pike
      at the ready.  Finally he puts a hand on his Throwing Axe
      on his back and holds the pike down.  So he can throw the
      axe before pike is used.]

     [Xian loads his arbalest and has his warstaff at the ready.]

     [Trembyl loads his arbalest and readies his cimitar.]

     [Strie'bog prepares his bow and quiver.]

     [Kasha simply grabs his mace and prepares throwing daggers
      in strategic locations on him and the saddle.]

     [Thig stays in the saddle so far but loads his repeating
      crossbow.  He then makes sure he has daggers and his
      sling on him.]

     [Unali ensures daggers are ready, but as usual they are
      always.  She then grabs his sling.]

     [Z'leyra trots around the horses.  Grabs her drum and
      something on her hand.  She grabs her staff.]

     [Phasal movement now...]

     [Turn 1: Phase 1]

      [Mana Allocation]

        [Xian, Thig, Trembyl, Z'leyra allocate mana]

      [Missile Fire]

        [Too far apart - none]

      [Magic Effect]

        [Xian turns invisible on his saddle.]

        [Thig also turns invisible on his saddle.]

        [Trembyl considers an illusion to protect the horses but
         that would endanger the party as their primary target
         would be gone (covered by illusion) and thus the creatures
         would attack the party more.  So instead he throws an
         illusion away from the group....about 30 feet in front
         of him he casts the illusion.  In a small area suddenly
         3 horses appear.  One a female adult and 3 younger ones
         who are obviously weak and one is injured.  Trembyl hopes
         this will distract at least a few of the creatures toward
         them.]

        [Luck casts her shamanic initiation spell.]

      [Melee & Movement]

        [Party stays in place as its best to let the archers fire
         before it gets in melee range.]

        [Hippogriffs fly 90 feet closer]

     [Turn 1: Phase 2]

      [Mana Allocation - Z'leyra allocate mana]

      [Missile Fire    - Still too far out - none]

      [Magic Effect]

         [Z'leyra casts a luck spell onto Farseeker]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

     [Turn 1: Phase 3]

      [Mana Allocation - Z'leyra allocate mana]

      [Missile Fire    - Still too far out - none]

      [Magic Effect]

         [Z'leyra casts a luck spell onto Unali]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

     [Turn 1: Phase 4]

      [Mana Allocation - Z'leyra allocate mana]

      [Missile Fire    - Still too far out - none]

      [Magic Effect]

         [Z'leyra casts a luck spell onto Ben'dar]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

     [Turn 2: Phase 1]

      [Mana Allocation - Z'leyra allocate mana]

      [Missile Fire    - Closer but none]

      [Magic Effect]

         [Z'leyra casts a luck spell onto Caladan]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

     [Turn 2: Phase 2]

      [Mana Allocation - Z'leyra allocate mana]

      [Missile Fire    -

         [Caladan aims and fires hist Composite bow and
          hits!  Doing 4 points to a hippogriff.]

      [Magic Effect]

         [Z'leyra casts a luck spell onto Kasha]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

     [Turn 2: Phase 2]

      [Mana Allocation - None]
      [Missile Fire    -

         [Caladan aims and fires again but misses.]

      [Magic Effect - None]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

      GM: Turns 2: Phase 3 up to Turn 7: Phzse 1.  Only
       Difference is Caladan's firing results so will post
       those here.

     [Turn 2: Phase 3]

      [Mana Allocation - None]
      [Missile Fire    -

         Turn 2
         Phase 3 - [Caladan aims and fires again but misses.]
         Phase 4 - [Caladan aims and fires again and hits doing 1 point
             to another hippogriff]
         Turn 3 - 6 Phase 1 - Miss
         Turn 6 - Phase 2 - Caladan hits and does 2 points to one.
         Turn 6 - Phase 2+3 - Miss
         Turn 6 - Phase 3 - Caladan hits one for 1 point
         Turn 6 - Phase 4 - Caladan hits #5 again for 5 more points..
         Turn 7 - Phase 1 - Caladan hits #9 again for 3 more points

      [Magic Effect - None]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

     [Turn 7: Phase 2]

      [Mana Allocation -

         [Xian, Trembyl and Thig reallocate mana]

      [Missile Fire    -

         [Caladan fires on another and hits #9 for another 4 points]

      [Magic Effect -

         [Trembyl recasts his illusion.  Thig and Xian recast
          their invisibility spells]

      [Melee & Movement]

         [Hippgriffs another 90 feet]

      GM: Yeah Yeah.  I did not do my math right on the last update.
        I said it'd take 7 phases opps.  That should be 70 phases
        I guess.  :)  A mile.  They are now 2950 feet away or
        about 280 more hexes to the right o the below map.  So
        at this rate it'll be 33 more phases for them to reach
        in melee range.

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Monday..

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ A
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   B
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ C
\__/  \__/ B\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   D
/  \__H  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ E
\__S  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   F
/  \__/  \__/  D__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ G
\X_/HH\__C  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   H
/  HHHH  \__Z  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ I
\__/HH\__/  K__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   J
/ G\__/U \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ K
\__/  \__/  F__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   L
/  \__J  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ M
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   N
/  \__T  \__/hh\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ O
\__/  \__/  \hh/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   P

   Player    ID  Location    Notes       Player  ID  Location    Notes
   Balrog     B   [D12]   [On horse]    Ben'dar   D   [G16]    [On horse]
   Caladan    C   [H10]   [On horse]    Chion     H   [E7]     [On Horse]
   Farseeker  F   [L13]   [On horse]    Jordi     J   [M7]     [On horse]
   Kasha      K   [J13]   [On Horse]    Thig      G   [K3]     [On horse]
   0Strie'bog S   [f4]    [On horse]    Trembyl   T   [O7]     [On horse]
   Unali      U   [K8]    [On horse]    Xian      X   [H2]     [On horse]
   Z'leyra    Z   [I13]   [On horse]

   Firesnake  -   [With Caladan]
   Thig's Dogs-   [Near Thig]
   Wolf       -   [Near Strie'bog]
   Horses     H   [6 plus 2 draft] [Each H symbol in hex is a horse]
   Eagle      -   [High in sky]

   Illusion   h   [illusion of horses by Trembyl]

   Hippgriff - 2,950 feet away (roughly)

   I went ahead and did about half their distance in this update.
   Not much action here.  But it allows a setup.  For those who
   have not posted it can give you time to plan your actions.
   For those who have you can adjust your actions.  Also if you
   wish to move let me know from your current position on the map.
   The hippogriffs will come on the right side of the map.

   For monday I'll move the hippogriffs until they reach the right
   edge of the map.  This means about 2 phases for them to reach
   the party at that point afterwards.  So next update likely will
   take 30 phases of events.  I will fire archery weapons as they
   get closer stated within your actions for range.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933