[pnpgm] Game Update #27 - File #153 - Sniper Combat Round 3+4

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Sun Jul 24 04:38:16 CEST 2022

Sex.....Character Name...Player..................Type....Not    es.....
Male...Klorgar..........Tobie.Bonahoom...Tracker...Human,..........
Female.Varo Mineholder..Bess.Hadley......Merchant..Human...........
Male...Razgor...........Wout.Broere......Guard.....Human...........
Male...Rocky............Alex.Koponen.....Hunter....Dwarf...........
Male...Mournath.........Gilbert.Isla...............................
Male...Veren.Nor.Tarek..Npc..............Employer..Human...........
Male...Jaren............Npc..............Bodyguard.Human...........
Male...Marusk...........Npc..............Guide.....Human...........
Male...Juno.Solace......Ford.............Tracker...Human...........

         Game Web Site – http:/nrgcomputers.com/RQ/rq.htm (case matters)
         Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

         Game Update #27 sequence (file #153)

         Admin: None.

            From Alex: [Re: Vacation]
                 Hi Folks,
                 In a month I will be away from
the internet for a couple weeks. Of more
importance is that Scott needs a vacation. He has
been at this for decades now and needs some time off.
    I suggest that we take a break to allow Scott
to recover from burnout. Perhaps continue the game in mid-July?
    Also, Scott and my schedules are offset from
each other. If someone would be
  available to him on ICQ in the mornings that would help.
            GM: Ack. Normally don't do any
vacation till sept-Dec.  But we'll see. Probably
continue game anyways in some fashion.  Though
Diablo Immortal for pc is coming out tomorrow...hmm

            From Bess: [Re: Vacation]
                 I've went through burnout three
times during my career as a nurse (RN). I am more
than willing to give Scott a well-deserved break.
Taking a break now & re-convening in mid-July or
even early August is fine with me, if he would
like it. How about everyone else? Vacations are
coming for those of us not retired & having time to enjoy them would be good.
I would even be willing to give him a break through Labor Day, if needed.
                 Hugs to Alex for suggesting it.
Scott's earned a break. I'll go with whatever is decided.
            GM: Ack. I have no desire for a
break.  Not burn out per se just priorities are
changing.  So unless you guys demand it I'll
continue.  :) Once I do retire in 6-7 years I may
stream rpgs and do it live on twitch.  But big
issue there is time zones.  I'm fine.  Things
will be slower for sure but I'll get stuff
out.  As I get motivated.  It may take 2 weeks or
so for a update but they’ll get out.  I need the stress relief.  :)

            From Gerald: [Re: Vacations]
                 Good idea once we are ready to
play again let me know. I hate to have such an
awesome thing end forever but understand
“burnout�. Nothing last forever. I won’t
post anything until instructed otherwise. Alex
and Scott I’m thankful to be a part of this and
allowed to post and help the game and keep the
old school dream of RPG going. If this is truly
the end it was a mythic run by this club kudos.
if not then time off is good perhaps wait till
august or September as well to really recharge the batteries.

                 My days off are  Saturday
Sunday I’m est time I start work 8:30 am Mon
-Fri  not sure I be the best candidate to stay
focused and help also my life we my family have a
lot of “ Medical Issues� but iam willing to
help Scott and Alex out any way I can. Like I
said it be shame to have this end but fully
understand and enjoyed the efforts of all
involved and IMHO you all get a purple star of RPG greatness.
Be well and I wish you all the best in life.
            GM: Ack No worries.  We continue!!!
Maybe a sloth speed not a marathon as we did decades ago but we continue. :)

            From Gilbert: [Re: Vacation]
                 Please, take the vacation and
don't worry about this! Burnout is no fun for anyone.
            GM: Ack. Sorry if gave burnout
impression not.  Just prioritizes have
changed.  After B-day and the school shooting I
had to reassess my to do list.  So will continue game just as I can.

            From Varo: [Re: Actions]
                 Varo awakens suddenly &
half-sits up. Had she heard something? A

                 The results of the spell
determine her next actions. She will raise the
  alarm if there are enemies close, shouting the
direction(s) in which the enemy lies/approaches.
She will repeat the directions at least three times before she stops shouting.

                 While yelling, she starts
pulling on her leather armor, still within the
tent, with no light,  as she quickly throws the
chest piece & its shoulder attachments on first,
then the leg coverings & boots & begins to
half-buckle all it in place, never rising above
her knees & listening acutely for further sounds
outside. She remembers the closest large tree is
about ten feet away SW of her tent. She will head
that way for cover, unless the spell says trouble lies that direction.
                 If there’s time, she grabs the
belt with her rapier & puts it on, throws her
quiver over her shoulder, & leaves the tent,
stringing her self-bow when she reaches cover.

                 If the enemy is too close, she
will just grab her shield & rapier for battle,
once she’s donned her armor & half-buckled it
in place. (Tightening it fully takes a few extra
moments, which she will use if she has them.) She
will head towards that tree, or towards other
shelter from arrows if she cannot reach it
safely. She will move away from the attackers’
coming direction to gain a bit of extra time, or
if they are too close, just duck behind her tent
& wait in the shadows until she can attack. If
there's time to string her bow, she will prepare
it & use it first, then rapier for melee.

                 (Glad Scott is willing to go on.
I, too, get tired, but I enjoy this so much, it helps keep me young.)
            GM: Ack. Sadly no sentries have taken
steps to wake up folks figure by now you'd have
them do so but oppsie.  Not was gonna quit just
things change priority wise.  But I am recovered from the virus so better.

            From Rocky: [Re: Actions]
                 Rocky awakes to hearing a cry of
pain. Grabbing his arbalest and looking to see
where the arrows came from he rolls behind cover
and fires a bolt at an enemy archer. [He was sleeping in 1 pt armor/padding.]
            GM: Ack.  If awake....

            From Mournath: [Re: Actions]
                 Having seen the direction of
arrow fire, Mournath will attempt to move lateral
to the fire, getting cover where he can, and
staying away from what fire/light is in the camp
so as to not be silhouetted for the snipers to
find easy prey. He will continue to move, trying
to get around where he believes the ambushers
are. As he was on sentry duty, he has his full
kit with him, and so pulls his own bow and knocks
an arrow in the case a target presents itself.
            GM: Ack. Sounds good but no warning sleepers. :)

            From Juno: [Re: Actions]
                 Juno if he can and is awake and
gets word of danger of arrows will try to find
cover somewhere and try to determine where and
when the enemies is coming from. He can use this
information to get his bearings.

                 if he can grab his javelin and
shield. He also will alert others if needed.

                 In his mind he thoughts race and
he makes a prayer “ O protect us from those who
want to hurt us.�          Or

                 If he is asleep then he dreams
of a place of harmony and peace heaven like where he is  happy!
            GM: Ack.

            From Rocky: [Re: Actions]
                 Rocky (if awake) glances around
(yea darkvision) grabs his arbalest, yells out
directions as to where he sees the enemy (if he
does) and crawls to cover to aim and return an
aimed bolt (aims till end of round) at whoever is
sending arrows our way.  After that he will grab
and ready his shield then his bastard sword and
zig zag towards the enemy to teach them the error of their ways.

         [Wildday, Fertility week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

         [Time: 5:25 am]

         [Round 3]

            Another arrow whisks by Mournath but
it impacts on the ground missing him by a few feet.

            Another arrow from the darkness
pierces the flicker of the campfire light and
zooms toward Varo's tent.  But as it gets near it
clips a branch and deflects away missing even the tent.

            Mournath moves to the side away from
the light of the campfire.  He tries to scan and
listen.  The arrow seems to be from the north and
northwest of him.  He tries to recall the layout
of the area before sunset.  There were 3 trees in
the immediate area in that area that could be
used for snipers.  He grabs his bow and prepares
an arrow as he moves to the side and north.  But he spots nothing right away.

            The other sentry, Klorgar grabs his
battle axe tightly and moves north toward a large
bush for cover.  Looks like the arrows were more
north west than north so he tries to move that
direction.  He also tries to scan and listen for
targets as he adjusts his vision toward the trees but sees nothing yet.

            Mournath hears a snap but hears and
sees no arrow.  Could the arrow have broken on
firing?  He has a better idea what tree it must be so moves that way.

            Another arrow flies near Klorgar's left should and misses.

            The others in the party sleep soundly
with no sentries waking them up. Though it might
be better not to make a noise to warn as it'd be a easy shot as a target.

         [Round 4]

            One arrow whisks and impacts on a
branch near Mournath but a good foot away.

            The second arrow again seems to have
a thing for Varo's tent but hits the ground on
the back side missing the tent again.

            Mournath figures it has to be 2nd
tree about 30 feet in front of him.  HE loads his
bow and aims.  He is happy when amazingly in the
wild shot he hears a grunt and sound of tissue
being ripped.  He hits!  Not sure how or what
type of damage but it must've been a hit.  Now he
can target it at full ability.

            Klorgar does not hear the hit on
possible sniper and moves more to the north using
bushes and trees as cover.  All the while scanning and listening.

            One arrow hits the tree a few inches
from Mournath and he smiles.  This confirms the
source of the fire has to be where he aimed.

            The last arrow punches through a bush
at Kloorgar's waist and that gives him a better
trajectory  Looks to be a tree some 40 feet away
he grabs his own missile weapon and prepares.

         GM: Actions? Comments?

             Next Update: Thur/Fri?

         GM: OMG he lives!  Its finally
out!  Sorry its been a 1.5 months.  First couple
weeks was busy.  Next 3.5 I was sick.  First 1.5
week too tired energy wise to do update.  Family
had covid spread throughout.  I got a glancing
form so energy loss and dry cough.  By 7/4 I felt
better 100% energy but still a bit coughy.  But
then staff decided they wanted a 2 week vacation
so no staff to work on update so blame them.  But
its out sorry for delay.  Too early for wed
update so will try thur/fri.  On map I put in a X
Row A showing where Mournath suspects a sniper is located.

            I was expecting sentries to warn
folks but never saw it.  So I spent a lot of time
figuring out a Wake Chance.  I'll discuss the
roll I used in discord in pbem channel.  Highest
2 had 11% but ranged from 3-11%.  No one woke
up.  Varo I'll give you a bonus on possibly
hearing arrow outside your tent unless sentries
yell out. I'll go back here to see posted actions
which I could not do here once you do wake up.

            You may notice some odd ascii
characters in recap between From...GM I never
spell check it.  Since its not my posts.  It is a
direct email cut/past and that is why those odd
characters from email.  If it is in main body I do edit them out.

         GM: 130 Miles out – personal note for me.  To be updated.

                 Damage:
                    Jaren: 2 to abdomen
         GM: Map
             1 Hex = 10 feet

          1         2         3         4         5
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901
/  \__/  \__/  \_X/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   A  ** [K26]- Campfire
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
\__ B     Light      - 8' around
/  \__/  \__/  \__/
@\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   C     Dim 10-20% - 9-12' out
\__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/  \__@  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ D
/  \__/  \__/  \__/ N\__/@@\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   E   V- [J23] - Varo in tent
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
@\_@@  \__/  \__/  \__ F   J- [L23] – Jaren [in tent]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/@
\@_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   G   J- pL23] – Varen [in tent]
\__/  \__/  \__/  \K_/  \__@  \__/  \__/  \__/
\__ H   M- [M31] – Marusk [in tent]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/R \__/@
\__/  \__/  \__/   I   R- [I26] – Rocky/Bedroll
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/V \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ J   U- [M26] – Juno/Bedroll
/  \__/  \__/  \__/
@\__/**\__M  \__/  \__/  \__/   K   N- [E29] – Mounath sentry
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/J
\__/HH\__/  \__/  \__/  \__ L   K- [H20] – Klorgar/Sentry
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/U \HH/  \__/  \__/  \__/   M
\__/  \__/  \__/  \@_/  \__/@ \_@/  \__/  \__/  \__ N   @- Trees
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   O      as tall as 80-100'
\__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/@@\__@@ \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ P      5-15/ in diameter