[pnpgm] UPDATE #74 - Raddok remembers his contract

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 22 22:49:51 CEST 2019

Raddok felt uncomfortable at Arwan's apparent misunderstanding. "No," he replied to Arawn. "I do not really read Fomorian. But I have studied their mining maps and seen a few contracts done. I can recognize some words, and think I would recognize is what I was looking at was similar to what I have read - or sorta read. I guess I know a few written words, but not enough to do more than bluff my way through reading mine maps, or to recognize some of these legal-type phrases - these, here, on my contract. I know what I was told it said, & I had someone in a pub read it to me to verify what I was told. He showed me the phrases & what they meant.

I can try to act as his replacement, as long as they will accept me, a foreigner who speaks rather primitive Fomorian, as a possible replacement. But I knew nothing of the old captain's secret plans, and was told I was to be a foreman working with a dwarven crew, since I speak their language - also a bit primitively, as Dorhak can probably tell you. [current Dwarf Elder level is 20; 60 is max; I'm not sure where a 33% speaking ability leaves Raddok] But I'm willing to try - but I should be coached in what you need me to say - or imply." Raddok rubbed his chin thoughtfully. Then he grinned. "I would naturally be somewhat at wit's end, being as I was not supposed to be in charge of this ship - & I've had to depend on those who knew where we were headed. That I would certainly not have to fake."

He looked around at the others. "What would you like me to do - or not do?"

Bess L. Hadley