[pnpgm] Game Update #155 - File #1045 - IBT Tips for NEW players. old can ignore

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Sun Sep 10 03:30:18 CEST 2017

    For new players only.  Old players should have grasp.

    I am still getting confusion on IBT.

    IBT is simply a dirty way to say free form role playing.
    I term it IBT in Between Time.  IBT adventures.  This is
    what YOU want to do.  Adventures tend to be more directed
    and coordinated.

    As outlined by David and my other updates I'll go over the basic
    points again.

    IBT should have:
      * Skills
      * Spells
      * Other

     1) Skills:
        Simply state which skills to practice.  You CAN practice skills
        while doing other things.  You can cast spells and do things.
        Just as long as you spend 1 day (8 hour period).

               Practice alone: 1 point per day
        Practice with teacher: 2 point per day
        With teacher and book: 3 points per day.

        Books may not be able to be done for every skill.

        It is possible to do more than 1 skill.
        Example: Practice Sword and Climbing.  If it is the same
        day you get half of above points.  So if doing this solo
        you would get 0.5 each.  Would need to divide up the time
        into 4 hours.  One can learn NEW skills with a teacher like
        a PC or you may need to hire a person. If unsure how much
        ask.

        IBT Example:
           Febris 8:  Do Sword practice
           Febris 9:  Do Dagger - Fight Practice
           Febris 10: Do Sword and Dagger Fighting today practice

     2) Spells: Assuming a magic user.  Same as skills but there is
        no real time limit.  Most spells are minutes at most.  So
        could cast 20 in a few minutes.  Things to keep in mind:

        * Keep tabs of daily limits of Energy Level unless you have
          a aid (Wand/Staff) which can increase this limit.
        * Keep in mind Mana Regen.  First # is how much you gain a
          day the +# is if you rest.  Rest needs a full 24 hour day.
          For me the 'day' begins at sunrise.  So sunrise to sunrise
          no spells you get this second #.
        * I'd try to be at full mana at end of IBT just in case.
        * If unsure how much it costs to do this or how much to learn
          that or such ask.  I have the CNL chart online now.
        * Learning spells is possible but may be limited in some
          cases. If unsure ask.
        * Post the EL you cast and how many if any recasts you do.

        Example:
          Febris 8:  Cast Luck x2 EL1, Cast Fire Dart EL0 x3 Recast 2
          Febris 9:  Cast Luck x5 EL0 Recast 5 try to get to next EL.
           .
     3) Other
        A) Making items:
           Some like to make stuff.  You have rules now for Jewelry
           items online. I have rules for Tanning.  Use the basic
           Armorer rules for amount of times.

           If you are unsure how long ask.  You should keep in mind
           if you make magical items the Laws of Magic apply  You
           must make it yourself from virgin material no hirelings.
           You should gather supplies and materials before hand.  If
           you do not I'll assume its done and pay an expenses.
           I post expenses in each IBT for review.  Keep in mind
           if you fail in some part of the magic crafting the item
           could be destroyed.  Some basic items if fail could also
           be destroyed (making a wooden item if you chop too short
           its destroyed).  Keep this in mind in overall IBT.  If
           you are unsure on rules for this like making some odd piece
           of clothing ask.

           Example:
             Febris 8:  Make Brass Ring, Cheap Ruby inset, extra care
             Febris 9:  Make Sword Day 1 of 3
             Febris 10: Make Sword Day 2 of 3
             Febris 11: Make Sword Day 3 of 3 Complete.
                        Enchant for To hit and damage.

        B) Encounters:
           I will be doing random encounters.  Unless you hole
           away in a crate in a library you'll likely have some
           encounters.  I use a Motivation chart created by
           Burton to determine motivation.  I also do basic
           types of encounters like bandits, beggars or merchants
           to name a few.  Most tend to be easy but some may be
           combat.  I will randomly handle these combats based
           on what you may do or what I think you'll do.  With 100
           days x10 characters doing it round robin for interaction
           would take months. So this is the easy way to earn
           experience as well.  So if you have typical combat
           sop let me know  It can be very generic.

           Example:
           * If encountered by 1 hostile defense myself and
             kill if needed but try to knock out.
           * if outnumbered and able to do so run.
           * If outnumbered but easy combat handle as normal.

           It doesn't have to be exact like "if attacked by 3
           gang members draw sword and shield.  Parry 2 and
           then attack 3rd and if middle gang member does bad
           damage then run."  No need for that just generic simple
           stuff.

           I typically do NOT cast magic in these encounter.  Only
           because it may ruin your spell casting plans.  I just
           do this for pure combat/experience.  Plus I'd have to
           stop and ask which spell and it would bog things down.

        C) Shopping: Folks will search for special items or buy
           supplies for travel.  Should denote such in IBT in
           some fashion.  The more rare items take to find you
           should devote time.  Time could be 2-3 hours a day
           or once a month.

           Example:
             Febris 8: Search for Black Poppy spend up to 5 days
             Febris 9: Buy 30 Arrows, 2 Daggers, 30 Rations

        D) Other Stuff:
           Anything not covered by above.

           A) Stat training: As listed in my document per 4 days
              you spend training you get 1 CP for that stat.  But
              this would take away skill training unless you wanted
              partial skill points.

              Example:
                Febris 8: Day 3 of 4 Strength body building
                Febris 9: Day 4 of 4 Strength body building

           B) Buying Land.
              Exploring.
              Teleporting to other nations.
              Special research at library.

       All this should cover 95% of what one typically needs to
       do for IBT.

       There is NO need to do a hour by hour, minute by minute
       timeline.  Just generic like above.

      Combined example:
        Febris 8:  Practice Sword, Search for new boots
                   Cast Luck x4 EL1
        Febris 9:  Hire Dagger Teacher, Practice Dagger Fight and
                    Throw (0.5 each for 4 hours each).
                   Cast Fire Darts EL0 x4, 2 recasts, Cast Tempest x1 eL2
                   Read more on the Gods of War book.
        Febris 10: Start to learn War Staff with teacher maybe Xian?
                   Cast 10 Fire Darts EL0, 2 recasts.
                   Start shop for magical talisman of Luck spend 3 days.

        This should be plenty of examples from me and others now.
        If still confused.  I can do IBT for ya. :)  But seriously
        its not that complicated. See the top of Adventure 7s website.
        I have several actual IBTS from players.

        You must tell me IBT is final before I start to process.
        Another tip is I read IBT line by line.  I rarely read
        forward.  So if Day 10 depends on something on Day 20 you
        should make note of this.  I process this way line by line
        and do results.

        I will email you results and get approval.  You can approve
        or remove sections as you see fit if deem them not worthy
        for public.  Once approved I will post results to the List.

        Now on to IBT!!!