[pnpgm] Game Update #53 - File #210 - Fremea's Past

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Thu Oct 10 19:04:55 CEST 2013

   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
   R1.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.J H Hooten........YN..Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human....Ma
   W4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R1 John.Stowman......YN..Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
     .NPC...............YY..Niko..............Bearer..Normal/Human  ..Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell, Wolf - Will

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #53 in sequence (file #210)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn opened his senses, searching for any sign of
          magical influence upon the man or immediate area.

          [Mana Sense followed by Mana Reading if anything is
          detected]

          He glanced over when it became apparent that at least some
          of the mob were aiming to vacate the premises, his eyes
          narrowed with concern.

          [Hidden Truth at max EL]

          [Sepes 28th, 1634TH]
          [Location: City of Salaqara, Donara]

          [Time: 5:56pm - South Salaqara - Sick Oyster]

            Fremea stares at Etain with hands on hips.  Etain raises
          an eyebrow.  he leans in and whispers, "I know that look.  The
          same glares you gave me when I hid your 'special' things during
          your training.  I had nothing to do with this.  We are just one
          step behind this thief."

            Arawn stretches out with his senses on the man who said
          he placed the item on the coin.  His aura is the color of a
          deep orange with gray which Arawn realizes to be typical
          of most drunks.  But aside form that there seems to be a
          very faint taint of something fading.  it is possible he
          was at once under some influence but it seems to be fading
          and hard to pinpoint now.  The room itself is free of
          any magic other than the party.

            The Druid watches the men trying to leave the gambling hall
          after paying their bills.  "I wonder if it would be worth it to
          keep a quiet eye on them," he quietly suggested to those around
          him. "Just in case one of them is in on this."

            Raban replies, "there are half a dozen in here and half a dozen
          who just left. We can't track them all."

            Turning his attention back on the seemingly drunken man Arawn
          whispered a prayer in the Sidh before turning to question the
          man.  Leaning toward the man the Alfar whispers a prayer and
          adds some words to it.

            "Where is the necklace now? And who hired you to steal it?
          How can we find them? And what did they pay you?" Afterwards
          he picked up one of the gold coins, holding it for Jasnor to
          see.

            The man furrows his eyebrows at Arawn, "what man?  What
          necklace?  I was paid?"

            Arawn sighs, based on the spell of truth it seems the man
          is telling the truth.  At least the truth he is aware.  Arawn
          sees sign that maybe his mind was wiped with a spell as
          a result like he did with the maid earlier.  Who knows maybe
          in a few weeks the man will recall.  but if the spell was
          indeed there and now fading it is likely too late to counteract.

            Arawn looks to Jasnor, "If he was paid with this we might be
          able to use it to track the one who hired him."

            Etain whispers back, "possible.  But if he used a kid to
          do his dirty work with the mob earlier today he is not
          a direct person.  Distractions and middle man seems to be
          his game."

            The dazed half-drunk thief looks at the party, "thief?  What
          thief?"

            All at once in unison the party turns and shouts to the man
          to shut up.  The man may be under the influence of some spell
          or just a good load of booze.  Etain turns and pushes the man
          to his seat.  "Just read now.  Then pay your bill."

            "My bill? I've not drunk anything."  The man exclaims but
          Etain and the others glare at him which seems to finally
          shut him up.  The poor man must've forgot the last bit of
          time in the gambling hall.

            Etain returns to Fremea, "I've checked the man.  Jasnor
          checked the man.  The bar maid would not have lied."

            Yet Kiet watches the room.  He is not friends with many thieves
          but he has met Balrog once or twice.  He knows thieves can distract
          and use sleight of hand.  Kiet watches the room to see if anything
          out of the ordinary.  Unali also shares this view and watches the
          customers more than the staff.  But both seem to notice little
          beyond petty arguments on who spilt what and who should pay and
          nervous customers who fear for local guards.  A night in jail would
          not be good for them.

            Fremea glares at Etain then storms out of the hall.  Behind
          the bar keep asks Etain.  "You will..will find the item in
          question right? I mean I can't afford losing this place."

            As the others join Fremea outside Etain turns to the hall owner
          and lies. "Of course we will.  Never fear."  He smiles and walks
          outside.  Turns to the owner again at the threshold.  "You can
          rest assured we'll be in touch or Gorlic will."  The owner nods
          and gulps.  The balding man continues to berate a customer for
          more ale he spilt than the guy admits.

            Fremea heads down the street in no obvious direction or
          mission.  Etain catches up to the others.  "Sorry.  We were
          late.  I suppose magic could've tracked the item or some
          magic on the person in question.  But the guards might have
          interrupted us."

            Etain begins to click at fingers as if counting, "I like
          to review as a teacher it helps.  We know someone or
          something was alerted to or knew Fremea was coming into town.
          Likely the girl Fae you found in Katai.  Likely she was setup
          or used as a pawn."

            Fremea whirls around and pushes Etain up against the wall
          of a book store.  She asks how did he know that.

            "Your giant friend.  While we were walking back from the
          house with the painting.  Told me about the Fae that was
          captured but was in some mission to find you."

            Fremea releases Etain and glares and moves on down the
          street.  Etain looks at Kiet and smoothes his tunic, "she
          is definitely tougher."

            Etain rushes and goes to counting again, "if this person
          a thief for lack of better word, knew Fremea was coming
          then they probably knew you would come for the painting.
          Anyone that knows of the history of the device or such may
          know.  This is how they probably forced Fremea into the
          painting to cause her vision.  But we can assume that only the
          thief saw the first location."

            Etain looks at Kiet with a question on his lips then answers.
          "That is when I arrived thanks to our mutual farmer friend.  I
          knew of the painting but could not use it.  When I got there
          no one was there. Or at least that we saw.  I suspect that
          the thief WAS there in the room hanging from the ceiling
          light fixture.  Using some hooks as support.  Probably
          invisible.  Which means he can use magic or magic items.
          I only suspect that he saw the vision as Fremea was still
          dazed when I came in.  That or he/it heard us talking out
          in the back of the next location."

            "Once here it was easy to take out the guards and without
          entering the house ...wait..the guards."  He turns to Z'leyra
          and adds, "maybe you should've used your spell there in the
          yard if he was visible."  He turns forward and continues.  "But
          likely not visible.  He then delivered a coin that could teleport
          to the office.  The admiral touched it and poof was gone somewhere
          in the neighborhood likely."

            Fremea stops for a second and realizes that may have been why
          she feel creepy.  As if watched.  Maybe they were from nearby.

            "Once he/she/it learned the info from the admiral he was killed
          and returned.  Which I don't know why.  Why return him?  Oh!  He
          setup the party for the murder.  so once the guards got there
          and the mob they would be blamed.  Makes sense.  But it
          did not work initially though if stayed longer it might just
          have done so."  He stops and Kiet is relived this Elf seems
          to talk too much.  Nervous people do that usually with signs
          of guilt?  But a few moments later Etain continues, "This thief
          has some serious issue with you."  He glances at Fremea.  "It almost
          seems personal."

            A few moments pass and Etain continues, "we should move this
          way to the hotel and get some food.  Check with the giant
          and others."

            Etain directs the party and they consider the day's past
          events.  Finally Etain adds as the group nears the inn.  "we
          should look at that painting again soon and learn the next
          location.  We'll have to secure the location tightly to ensure
          not being listened to."

          [Time: 6:18pm - North Salaqara - Blue Jaw Bone Inn]

            Once at the inn the party is gathered back. Niko is
          sitting there bored as ever looking at a waitress.

            Raban waves the aprty forward, "I reserved the rear
          room which is for meetings. It should be quiet and give
          us some privacy."

            Fremea nods and smiles at the giant.  A smile for the
          first time today.  But how can one not smile back when
          he does that quirky half-wink-nod thing he does.

            Once in the room the orders are placed for dinner.  With
          the main course dished out and drinks refilled, Fremea turns
          to Etain and glares.

            "You expect answers."  Etain nods and puts down his fork
          of salad.  Fremea nods and stares at the Elf.

            "Would you rather this be in private?"

            Fremea glances around.  Good Kiet did kick Niko to the
          open room to flirt with that waitress.  She shrugs not
          much is kept secret in this group.

            "Very well.  As you know I was Fremea's teacher.  I was assigned
          by our leaders to do so for Avalon.  It was clear that at birth
          Fremea was special.  In some fashion when they get time the
          Monarchs wish to examine all newborn there.  In ancient times
          they would assign destiny to the newborn.  Some would be
          assigned less or higher status based on this.  Like the
          human caste system.  Though this was changed in some ways
          long ago.  Now it is more just a suggestion."

            "I was there at the court and recall a old Elf Scholar
          examining Fremea then the Monarchs.  With some whispers
          it was clear Fremea had a certain destiny and her parents
          decided to let the court raise her. Thus I was given that
          task since I was free from other chores."

            "After that your parents was sent away with a strong suggestion
          to the Wild Forest.  This wasn't so unusual as training a child
          like yourself would be distracted with parents there.  "

            "Shortly after that we learned that your parents were killed
          by the fire in their home."

            Fremea scoffs at this.  If Ta'lil was truthful that was
          a lie now that she knows.

            "For years I would teach her all she knew.  At 15 she
          started serious work with things like Alchemy from Varange
          himself."

            "A year later we both learned the plans the Monarchs had
          for her."  He points to Fremea.  "At 16 we learned from the
          Royal Assassin himself that she was destined to be a Hand
          of the Monarchs.  A hand that dealt their justice and served
          them fully."

            "The next few years I helped to educate you from things from
          combat to intrigue."

            "After twenty years Fremea became quiet a skilled Hand
          at that.  But the 21st year was the hardest.  I learned
          from the Monarch's dying Chief Scholar who took all records
          to the personal vaults that Fremea's parents weren't killed.
          They were reported to the Monarchs as dead and thus thought
          to be so for years.  But it was learned that both fled the
          wild forest for fear of something.  I only learned of that
          when the Scholar was dying and slightly feeble minded.  He
          was ordered not even to reveal this to the Monarchs."

            "I figured he was just a bit insane so was making half
          of it up. But then when you turned 21 you were captured
          on a routine assignment by the merchant who would enslave
          you for a brief time.  I tried to follow up but the scholar
          died though he did mention a person in the forest.  I then
          learned that you were missing.  The Monarchs were so upset
          they sent me to track you down.  But my relations with
          humans was far less productive.  I didn't even know such
          a slaver existed in Donara.  After a long time I was sent
          to Avalon to answer.  I could not supply the answers so
          I was excommunicated and banished from Avalon."

            "I spent five full months trying to track this person down.
          I finally did and he told me that your parents did in deed
          fake their deaths.  They were threatened by someone from their
          past and did not want them to be used against you.  He did
          not know the location of your parents.  He is a woodsman
          and lives off the land so I doubt we could seriously find him
          now."

            "For the last year you were missing.  I heard nothing of
          where you might be.  Some who ventured from Avalon to the
          Forest said you might have been killed or sent on some
          long distance mission far away.  I ..then found our farmer
          friend who had contacts.  I needed help to smuggle some
          documents I had from my collection of Avalon to Ticasi.
          I have a friend there that kept them safe since I was no
          longer tolerated in Fae society.  I was even banished from
          my home since I could not ensure your safety and find you.
          Alas, I am homesick in human society."

            "When our friend found you on his farm I had hoped it
          might be you returning and I had to investigate.  I was
          happy to see it was true.  I am deeply sorry we were
          both fooled by your parent's so called death.  I suspect
          who ever was behind their threats is now possibly against
          you.  I suspect that if you complete this quest to find
          the pieces before they do then you can use that leverage
          to find your parents.  Again I do not know where they
          are at this time.  I could show you their last known
          place in the Wild Forest but it was so burnt and now
          likely full of plant growth that finding anything of
          them would be useless.  I know I tried.  Hoping to
          find a piece of them to use magic on."

            The old Elf looks down at his plate and drinks some of
          the red wine.   It seems the Elf aged 20 years in the last
          few minutes.  The group sits in silence at the info the
          Elf gave.

            Fremea sits and stares.  it all seems innocent but this
          man is still holding something back.  Even in her training
          she was never given the "grand tour" of the mission details
          as he liked to say.  She learned that the hard way when she
          was sent in to obtain a stolen Sidh relic from a town in
          the mountains near Caldo.  A mission without a detail as
          the wizard who was guarding the town.  A mission she almost
          died but manage to complete it.

          [Time: 7:03pm - North Salaqara - Blue Jaw Bone Inn]

            After this only so brief briefing the party sees the
          tension and begins chit-chat.  The dinner is finished
          and Etain suggests another look at the painting for the
          next piece.

            Sulking like a student again sent to complete homework
          by her teacher, Fremea enters the room with the painting.
          Outside Unali and Kell stand guard watching the windows.
          In the hall, Raban and Will watch the hallway.  Etain does
          not want any chance of the thief learning the info.  Even
          so much as to rent the two rooms to each side of the room
          Fremea is in.  Then the Sidh do a through job of searching
          the room for magic but find nothing.

            Etain and Fremea stand in the room.  "Just relax your
          mind.  Concentrate on the hatred you clearly have for me
          and for the hunt for your parents.  Use that emotion to
          fuel your energy.  Use it on the painting.  Just-"

            Fremea glares at Etain and the Elf gets the picture and
          moves away to a corner.  Fremea approaches the painting
          on the bed.  She positions a chair in case she is knocked
          wild.  She then places a hand on the magical painting.

            Fremea sees the paint glow and then feels her head flood
          with images.  First she sees a cowled figure traveling on
          horse on a long highway.  The sun is to his back.  Then
          he nears a city.  The image shifts to a gate and a yellow
          flag of some kind.  Then things become a bit blurry and
          a tone rings in Fremea's ears and mind.  She remains
          standing and awake but its as if there is interference
          on the visins.  but it could be that Fremea's emotions
          is to turned on that she can't concentrate.  That blasted
          Elf got to her again!

            Fremea gasps for air and steps back.  She glares at
          Etain who looks to say something but wisely stays silent.
          The small Fae then touches the painting again.  Nothing.
          A second time and nothing.  Growling she tries a third
          time and then punches the bed with her fist.

            "Clear-"  Etain starts but Etain stops when she glares
          at him and gives a look that could kill a hill giant.

            Fremea decides it is time to clear her mind and get away
          from this place.  She moves toward the door and opens it.
          she asks for Unali and Kiet.  She tells Raban the three
          of them will visit the gallery for another look at something
          then another errand.  Raban nods and goes to fetch Unali.

            "Is that wise?  The city may be looking for us by now.
          We might not even be able to leave the city.  Unless...
          we are smuggled out.  I could send word on that to our
          friend?" Etain turns to the window to look at the dark
          exterior outside in thought.

            Downstairs Niko approaches Kiet, "I do have a home.
          Do I need a room here or leave for the night?"

          [Time: 7:18pm - North Salaqara - Blue Jaw Bone Inn]

            Kiet, Unali and Fremea leave the inn and she explains
          she wants to revisit the gallery.  Both can tell that
          Fremea is still a bit distracted but a night mission
          might do her some good.  They both remain silent.  But
          Unali seems to be less visible than Kiet.

            Now fully dark the city streets are less crowded.  With
          some directions from Etain it takes a bit of time to find
          the gallery.  Only once did they have to hide from a patrol
          of three city guards walking by.

          [Time: 7:32pm - North Salaqara - Art Gallery]

            Nearing the gallery they all see the place is dark and
          closed.  There is only a single lantern advertising the
          name of the place on a sign near the door.

            Fremea considered asking for Arawn's item to open any
          lock.  But Fremea has skills.  She doesn't have tools like
          some but even a few pieces of gear can do wonders.

            Fremea tells Unali and Kiet to watch from the front.
          She will go around and check there.  Lucky there is
          a back door though locked as expected.  Reaching to her
          belt she pulls a hair pin which is part of her non illusion
          disguise.  She works at the lock in the dark listening to
          the crickets.  Now this is more like it.  Not dealing
          with old Elves or missing parents.  Alone in the darken
          trying to do something useful.  She actually begins to
          relax a bit.  It takes almost 3 full minutes but the lock
          finally clicks and she enters.  Then again its not like
          it is high end moneylender's place with fancy locks.

            Fremea finds the room in question.  Something about a
          painting with a winged figure.  But she growls when she
          notices the three paintings in that area are gone.  The
          winged figure and the two Gorlic small paintings.  She
          checks and find they were cut from the front not from back.
          When sold most would sell it by cutting the paper from
          the back.  This was clearly done by a thief.  Was the
          thief trailing them all day long and saw them enter this
          place?  Upset again she finds the reception desk.  She
          begins to shift through recent papers.  She is not fluent
          in the documents but enough for a high end grade student.
          She finds the ledger book.  She moves to a window where
          the lantern at the sign is showing.  She checks and sure
          enough nothing has been sold in 2 days.  Throwing the
          book to the wall she moves to the front and opens the
          door.

            Moving fast she gestures for the others.  They look
          inquisitive but she remains silent brooding.  She explains
          the next stop will be the home they got the painting.  To
          find that safe Kiet located.

          [Time: 7:41pm - North Salaqara - Blue Jaw Bone Inn]

            At the Inn Z'leyra is in the bar watching the crowd.  She
          is listening to a drunk.  "Yeah!  The scum up north is
          attacking us like cowards.  Killing the Admiral and
          then slinking like scum away.  Now I have to get my
          wagons searched delaying my deliveries to the markets.
          That costs me coins!"  He slams the bar table rattling
          glasses.  "Get this..." He leans near Z'leyra.  "They
          say a 9 foot giant is in their assassin group!  You
          believe this garbage.  Phppttt.  Next they will say
          flying ships will raid from the skies!"  He goes on to
          tell about the exchange rate of fruits and vegetables which
          bores the healer to tears.

          [Time: 8:17pm - North Salaqara - Burz's house]

            At the home the lights seem mostly out.   In the
          kitchen and parlor and one bedroom some light is
          seen.  Nearing the home Fremea and Unali spot the
          maid in the parlor knitting something on the couch
          and humming to herself.  Clearly she is not worse
          for wear on the day's events.  No guards are around
          so she must not have told many or at least gotten
          beyond her memory wipe if she did.  So chances are
          good she forgot it all.

            The trio move to the back of the house.  Fremea
          finds the office window and indeed the window is
          still unlocked.  The maid must not be allowed to
          enter the room to check the windows.  Slipping
          inside she uses Kiet's info to find the safe.

            It is behind a false back in the book case.
          Removing books she finds the safe quickly.  But
          is dismayed when she find it a 10 key lock.  Using
          mechanical mini-levers up and down in rapid use.  A
          lock not uncommon but not magical.  A skilled second
          year thief could find the code with time.  But with
          that many combinations it may take some time.

            Unali peeks in and suggests to find ink or paint or
          something else.  Fremea checks the desk and finds some
          chalk tips and a saucer of chalk dust.  Unali tells that
          will be fine.  When she learned form Aren that fingers
          leave traces.  The most used keys will have the most
          obvious marks.  using the chalk dust she pelts the
          keys slightly.  Fremea has to light a candle to view
          the results.  But it seems that keys 2, 4, 7 and 9
          are smeared in a more circular pattern as if used by
          sticky hands.  That leaves 6 keys unused.  Fremea does
          not know if there are alarms so checks the sides for magic.
          But there are no sign of it.  Inside it is possible but
          there is a quick easy exist if need be.

            Fremea begins the 4 key combinations.  It takes 5
          minutes and frustration settles in.  Maybe Kiet could
          just burn through the bloody safe.  Then on the what
          seems like 900th try she pushes 7-4-9-2 and hears a click.

            Smiling she slowly opens the safe.  There she finds
          a bag of gold and some jewelry in another bag.  She
          finds documents that seem to be a deed to the house
          some horses and a business stall in a market in Xian
          he seems to be opening with another man.  Other documents
          seem to be some old letters from possible girlfriends
          and a mother.  Other than that it is empty except for
          a book of Donaran first edition epic called the Saga of
          Fronz Nob.  It looks to be expensive so why it must
          be here.  Maybe good for some collection.

            Frustrated Fremea begins a quick search of the office
          to see if anything was missing.  But not knowing what
          was here originally it is hard to figure out what is
          missing.  Aside from the painting.

            Frustrated Fremea exits the room and says it is
          time to get back to the inn to figure out their next
          move.  Quietly she knows she has to try the painting
          again.

          [Time: 8:32pm - South Salaqara]

            As Fremea and the other two walk down a street.  A man
          is unloading sacks from a wagon into a store.  As the man
          gets to the door of his shop the horse suddenly begins to
          buck.  The horse moves then runs forward down the street.
          The man drops his sack and begins yelling and chasing the
          horse.

            Down the street a block away another man riding a horse
          suddenly is thrown off and the horse bucks and tramples
          the man then flees on its own as well.

            Kiet looks at the other two in confusion.

            Across town at the Jaw Bone Inn Will is heading to
          his room with the wolf.  The owner had to be paid an
          extra coins just to allow him to do so.  As they near
          Fremea's room the wolf suddenly growls and begins to charge
          Will.  The wolf lunges toward Will.

            Downstairs Kell is playing a few cards with two strangers
          and winning a bit.  But suddenly Squirt leaps right for
          one of the strangers and begins to bite his left shoulder.
          The man screams and Z'leyra turns around from the bar.  Kell
          looks shocked at the scene.

          [Time: 8:51pm - South Salaqara]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next Update....Monday...

          GM: A long update for a change.  But I figure I'll move
              things a bit faster.  Since the gallery and safe stuff
              was planned I figure might as well get it done.  Then
              a ending point with a new event.  :)  Hopefully who
              know maybe even Will will post now or get killed if
              he doesn't. :)  I do work Monday so will likely won't
              be able to work on update a big one like this so
              hopefully will be short.  Too much good stuff this
              year on TV.  Once upon a Time (2 series now - too
              bad Mark not around to chat about it with me).  Lots
              of good distractions.  Let me know what you guys want
              to do now.

          GM: Positions:

              Fremea, Unali, Kiet - West Salaqara street
              Niko - Hopefully home if Kiet releases or in Inn bar area
              Kell, Z'leyra - Downstairs in bar area
              Will - Second story hallway of Inn with Wolf
              Raban, Etain - In their room nearby Will's location second story
              Corona - Unknown

          GM: Fremea - to confirm.  You take all items from the safe
              as stated in chat right?