[pnpgm] Assassin/Executioner skills

Murtha, Mark Mark.Murtha at dishnetwork.com
Mon Aug 1 15:59:35 CEST 2011

Assassin - a point that was hinted at, but never actually addressed - poisons, complex plans, and other less combat oriented ways where the assassination cannot be detected.  The way I see it, the skilled assassin can do things up to and including:

Plan the entire "night" or "time before" the actual assassination.  Target is A.  Friends are B and C.  Eliminating B and C pays a bonus.  Skilled assassin then decides the best place & time is at the big party that A B C attend.  Planning includes splitting the targets, poisoning B first with something in drink, something that makes B appear sick.  So now B and C go to a room to help B.  Then the poison kills B.  C is distraught.  Assassin uses the distraction to blow dart C.
   Now B and C are dead, leaving A.

A is still in the big party, looking for B & C.   Assassin pays someone, G, at party to tell A where B & C went plus freshen A's drink.  Unbeknownst to G, the drink also contains the same poison used on B.  A drinks drink while going to find B & C.  A gets sick.  Then goes into the room where B & C are dead.  A gets upset, crying like a little girl.  The assassin then locks the door w/ A in there, and waits for the poison to finish the job.  If A is too strong for the poison, there is always alternate 1 - gently suffocating A.  Or alternate 2, the extreme backup - dagger.

At the end, when they're found, A and B died of the same sickness.  C had a massive heart attack.  The assassin on the way out laces the rest of the punchbowl with a milder form of poison so many others at the party get sick, and most don't die.  This way, the sickness isn't confined to the targets.  Now A B C are all gone, assassin completed job, and it looks as if some kind of punch-born disease/food poisoning hit the entire party.

Good Job!  Well, kinda...

That is part of what Assassin skill gives.  Probably the "truer" form of the skill than just increasing ambush chances.    BUT, can a non-assassin plan and do this? Sure - but odds go down, non-skilled assassin cannot improvise when things change, etc.

Executioner.
  Killing -  The bound and/or helpless are the key.  Ability to dispatch, in a single blow, the bound/helpless victim.  Does free elbows make the target not-helpless?

If target is tied up, laying down, unable to squirm/move, target is helpless.
If target is dazed, standing up and wandering around aimlessly, with hands bound behind back, target may be helpless.  Likely not, but maybe.  It depends on the target, etc.

Torture - that seems pretty straight forward.  Not something generally done without a known and stated purpose.  Although a variety of methods exist, I won't go there.

Mark