[pnpgm] Game Update #124 - File #938 - Into the Fire

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Fri Oct 8 06:32:29 CEST 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #124 in sequence (file #938)

       From Raban: [Re: Actions]
         As is proper for a bodyguard, Raban constantly scans for trouble,
         looking at anyone who is acting a little odd. "You too need to...
       GM: Ack. Got this post too late last time to include in last update.
           Sorry.  But added now for story purposes.

       From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
         Kiet simply looks aghast with his mouth open at Farseeker.
         Jump? JUMP!?!  And do what, exactly?  Is this over-muscled oaf a
         fool as well as insane?  That's a long bleeping drop!  Not to
         mention that all Kiet has is a stinkin' dagger and NO ARMOR.
         Kiet's not that stupid.  Warriors may be that stupid...but not
         the old ones...

         After the fight is done so quickly...

         Kiet gives Farseeker that 'No Kidding' look.  Being a good actor,
         there's little doubt about what the look means.

         As soon as practical, Kiet would like to read thru any of the
         documents and see if they are in a language he knows.  If so,
         it's time to read them real fast.

         Damn the High Elder, Kiet thinks.  This situation is simply
         getting ridiculous.  First we are told we can't use our greatest
         magical strengths, then we keep getting into these brawls.  Kiet's
         not really interested in becomming someone's, or some thing's,
         weapon sheath.  What's needed here is a lancer troop, not some
         mish-mash of individuals, half of whom are nearly helpless
         without their magics.

         Kiet simply growls under his breath over that thought.
       GM: Ack. Good reaction. :)

         [Augado 5th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]

         [Time: 4:15pm]

           Will and Kell leave the square area quickly.  the time for them
         to snoop seems to have passed.  Who knows what that group of two
         that left to the north west.  Who knows what that lone female
         that Will could've followed or that lone male Raban saw that
         looked suspicious.  Now those things will not be known.

           Some distance away down a side street Raban and Fremea wait
         and consider their options.  Should they return or head to the
         wagon.  They know Kell and Will could be in danger but they can
         likely handle things.  Some attention is starting to be drawn to
         the giant as both stand in the shadow of a shop's awning.

           As is proper for a bodyguard, Raban constantly scans for trouble,
         looking at anyone who is acting a little odd. "You two need to keep
         watch for those who would be foolish enough to try to kidnap a
         noble child. Even from such a guardian as myself. There will be an
         outbreak of criminal activity due to this pulling the city guard
         away from their rounds. Fake cries for help, especially from
         children, is a likely ploy to use. It will give itself away
         because it will not start until you are closer as they do not
         want to draw the wrong people. A run away pet is another such ploy,
         one released once you are close. They will use a spotter for such
         timing and that could be anyone. If they are stupid they will use
         a ploy designed to draw men away from crowds. A women or such a
         one in trouble of some sort. Normally, I allow myself to fall for
         such acts, simply because the bait used is often in need of real
         help. We cannot afford such troubles right now. Fortunately only
         a large group would try to assault us and that we should spot
         first. The only serious threat is archers, they could ruin my
         clothes again!"

           While Raban and Fremea on a street one block south of Will
         and Kell, the half-elf knows they left in that general direction.
         He decides to cut south and to check that street for them.

           Suddenly Raban feels a tug at his pants.  He glances down to see
         what Fremea wants and notices a small boy.  The boy must be no
         bigger than 2 feet and maybe 3-4 years old at best. "Are you a
         giant from the cir-qos?"

           The boy speaks with a small lisp and clearly doesn't know the
         word circus.  Raban smiles down and before he can react a woman
         in her 30s grabs the boy.  She looks up at Raban and smiles but
         then quickly looks away.  The woman snatches the boy up in her
         arms and begins to whisper things like "...never talk to strange
         men!...they carry diseases..."  Before they walk away.

           Raban only hears bits and pieces but gets the point.  He frowns
         at the bias of the mother.  But to Katai all strangers are dirty
         barbarians.  It isn't in their nature to act so kind to strangers
         unless honor demands it.  But at least it doesn't get him in need
         to answer questions like why is he here and what is he doing.

           Fremea taps Raban on the arm and points down the street.  Both
         then see Kell and Will walking.  Soon the four group up and use
         back alleys to move east toward the noble hotel they have the
         wagon.  As the four walk they quietly speak of the events in the
         square and the belief of a distraction or larger purpose.

         [Time: 4:18pm]

                                ----------------------

         [Time: 4:13pm]

           Arawn turns his attention to the man who seemed to be in some
         form of charge here.  He raises both arms as if in deference to
         the man as he considers his options.  The man wanted a password
         and some form of key to be seen.

           A few long moments pass and silence and tension builds up.
         Suddenly the man with the dagger suddenly becomes slightly tense.
         The arm holding his dagger seems to lessen and lower just a bit.
         "The password of osik..."  But as he speaks the words his voice
         is a bit monotone and has changed in pace and tone.

           Arawn speaks up with "... That's right. Speak louder next time.
         Now the key."

           With back turned from the other guards the leader looks down into
         what must be Arawn's right hand.  The man speaks again, "they are
         okay."

           One of the other guards frowns.  He squints at the man.  "You
         oaf!  You just gave him the password!"

           Another guard says, "it is a trick!  He is a wizard!"

           Arawn winces and knows it was worth a try.  While the average
         Katai may not know the signs of a possible spell being cast
         these people, likely Peace Brigaders, are trained to likely hunt
         them down as they work with the Vong.  So the attempt fails.

           A third guard raises his club, "Kill them!"

           Chion draws his sai and leaps toward the two between crates.
         He thrusts with the dagger but the guard is able to twist out
         of the blade's path just in time.

           Ben'dar not knowing what is being said realizes Chion would
         not be attacking someone unless he was just having fun or this
         was a real fight.  So he turns and stabs the guard at the office
         door.  The spear goes higher than expected and impales the guard
         in the middle left shoulder doing a massive strike.  Blood pours
         out from the heavy wound and the guard screams.

           Arawn sighs that this has turned badly.  But it would have likely
         turned out this way in the end.  But he wants one alive.  He
         leaps toward the man in his enthrall.  Arawn does a fist strike
         at the man's head but the blow fails to knock him out on the
         first strike.

           The guard at the door drops his weapon and reaches for his
         shoulder.  He slumps up against the office door and falls to
         the ground unable to fight.

           The one in front of Arawn just stares with a dumb look on
         his face.

           Guard #3 and #4 gang up on Chion.  The first uses his dagger
         to swipe at the large man and hits but his armor protects and
         no blood is taken.  The second man fails to hit.

           Chion draws back and stabs guard #4 in the upper left shoulder
         and does a massive strike with his sai killing the guard instantly.

           Ben'dar takes his easy blow and with a soft thrust kills the
         office door guard who is helpless.

           Arawn twists to the side to get a better angle for another
         knock out blow.  With a simple slap to the head the man falls
         to the ground knocked out.

           Guard #3 sees this might be harder to deal with and turns to
         run around the corner of crates.

           Z'leyra outside has no clue what is going on.  She thought a
         scream was heard but it was a heavy muffled thing.  She peers
         around the corner and wonders why the others hasn't followed
         her outside of the office.

           As Arawn looks down to the leader with that dumb look still on
         his face, he sniffs something familiar.  He looks around and
         scans the room.  In the dim light he notices a fine sheen of
         something on the walls and crates and even the floor.  He tries
         to sniff to track it down.

           Chion gives chase around the crates to the man and finds a small
         maze of boxes.  As he edges around the corner he hears the man
         nearby.  Arawn comes around the north end of the crates and
         tries to see what is on the other side to find more wooden boxes
         and crates.

           Chion sees the man holding a lantern and a bucket of something.
         Chion realizes what is going on and yells for the man to stop.
         He tries to throw his sai at the man about 20 feet away but
         the dagger misses him.  The guard splashes the oil inside the
         bucket against the wooden coffin.  Then tosses the lantern up
         into the air.

           Chion, Ben'dar and Arawn turn to see the odd oil lantern go
         up above the tall crates.  It slowly dives down into a arc and
         lands with s thud onto a coffin.  The glass of the lantern breaks
         and suddenly a blast of fire is felt by all three.

           The man turns as the lantern falls and charges Chion.  Chion
         pulls a hand to block the flash of the explosion and is hit
         by the man as he knocks him to the side.  The man runs past him
         and toward the front door.

           The guards weren't here it seems to drop things off but to
         destroy the place it seems.  Arawn quickly realizes this and
         recovers from the blast of light and heat.  But to his horror he
         notices the entire place which is wooden is laced with oil trails,
         wicks and small flasks of what must be naptha.  The initial fire
         from the center crates quickly spreads out in a cobweb formation
         in every direction.

           The knocked out guard is lying just below one such path of
         oil and his clothing catches on fire.

           Within three seconds the first of the naptha glass flasks
         explodes in the western edge and a fireball rolls down the
         aisle of boxes and crates.  This causes even more chain reactions
         of side fires and the entire place suddenly is clearly in danger
         of a firestorm.

           Chion recovers and chases after the man out the front door.
         He notices the man charge west.

           Z'leyra looking toward the office door suddenly jumps when one
         window shadows on the first floor.  Glass breaks outward and smoke
         and light flame shine.  Z'leyra turns to see this and then a man
         running past her down the alley heading west.  The man is a good
         150 feet away down the alley toward the south.

           Arawn looks around at the devastation and knows this wooden
         warehouse could be destroyed very fast.

                                ----------------------

         [Time: 4:13pm]

           Unali finishes up in the kitchen as the middle aged Katai
         servant stares with her knife in hand.  It isn't everyday a woman
         in black comes into the house to clean herself of blood.  There
         are those odd stories of those in black that help nobles from
         time to time with special jobs.  But to the servant this is just
         a myth or is it?

           Upstairs Farseeker and Kiet back from the window.  Kiet gives
         Farseeker 'No Kidding' look. There's little doubt about what the
         look means.  Many wild thoughts go through Kiet's mind as he
         is amazed the fighter said to jump.  The muscled but agile man
         would've gone straight down into the glass so he would not have
         jumped.  Kiet can't believe he told him to jump.  Kiet simply
         growls under his breath over that thought.

           Farseeker slaps the acrobat on the back.  "What?  Too high?
         Surely those acrobatic skills."  He raises his hand and uses
         a finger in a rounding motion to denote tumbling.  "Jumped
         clear of the glass like she did."  He leans into his shoulder
         and whispers in his ear. "Don't want to be showed up do we?"
         He leans back again and grins that sly grin that the warrior
         does when he teases Ben'dar.  He crosses his arms and then
         looks one last time out. "I'd have landed right into the glass
         like Raban just like a rock into the glass."

           Farseeker and Kiet turn to Zhou who continues to search the desk.
         Soon footsteps are heard.  The servant returns with a guard and
         another man.  "What is going on here!"  The man stares at the
         baron and then the strange people in the study.

           The female servant and guard rush to Baron.  The guard looks up
         and continues to hold his hand on his sword sheath.

           "We were here on business to visit when this man attacked the
         Baron.  I am Baron Zhou Wa of Dzhamou."  Zhou approaches the door
         to speak to the new man.

           The man dressed in middle class silks crosses his arms. "I am
         Baron Ka's aide.  It looks like you came without my notice."
         The man looks at the two by the window.

           Another set of footsteps approach and Unali enters the room
         behind the man.  She is dressed back in her dress and holds her
         right arm up against her side wound.  "My Baron, there is a dead
         heretic out in the garden. He tried to fly away and I did not want
         word of our presence to get to his followers. Interrogation of
         these pain-loving freaks is not one of my skills. Maybe a good
         musician would have helped. I don't think there is much more we
         can learn from him here."

           The aide stares at Unali and then back at Zhou. "Heretic? What?
         Musician?"  He begins to walk toward the window to get a look
         and the others part to let him pass.  Unali pats her dress to
         note possible treasure.  Zhou nods then looks to the servant
         tending to the wounded Baron.

           "So it might be wise to get you out of here and to safety. I
         am sure they can get help for the Baron locally."  Unali adds
         seemingly ignoring the aide.

           "I agree.  We should leave and return when the Baron is feeling
         better." Zhou straightens his clothes and makes for the door.

           "Wait." The aide raises a hand and the guard stands to also
         show that he is here to help in this matter.  Kiet watches the
         guard for signs of attack. "This is highly irregular.  The
         city guard will need to be summoned and you will need to answer
         questions."

           Zhou turns to the aide. "If there are heretics around they
         may be attacking nobles.  I will need to return to my other
         guards and my daughter.  The city guard cane come find me."
         He pauses near the door. "We are staying at the Red Marble Inn
         with my group.  We'll be there for a few days.  Good luck with
         the baron.  I wish him well."  He moves to the door but is almost
         run down by a young male.

           The young male breathes fast and takes several seconds to catch
         his breath. "The...they...attacked...heretics...Xing Min Square!
         They..killed many..."

           "Slow down boy!  What?"  The aide grabs the boy's arm.

           Zhou uses this chance to slip out the door and the others
         follow.  Down the hall words like "...many dead from fire..
         women..men..children..." As well as "summon a healer now!"

           The four quickly make their way downstairs and to their horses.
         They remount as they notice smoke in the distance.  Running out
         the gate they gallop away to ensure no one follows them.

           The group ride down several streets in random directions to
         ensure they aren't followed.   The other three knows Zhou mentioned
         the wrong Inn.  It is a risk but at least they can't be found
         tonight.

           Kiet tries to ride some of the scrolls on the ride back to the
         wagon but finds it difficult while controlling his horse.  It
         will have to be delayed until the group gets back to the wagon
         and hotel.

           Unali turns to Zhou, "Should we organize to watch the Baron Ka
         estate ourselves. I can also try to find some contacts and see if
         they can are willing to take the watch. That would leave us with
         other avenues to explore. What do you feel?"

           Zhou wipes his forehead from sweat.  "The city guard will have
         to be there very soon since a high noble was badly hurt and
         could die from that acid.  He may not live. It is ironic that
         our help could heal him but he'd then kill us."  As they ride
         down the streets he whispers that last part. The streets are
         almost empty at times. "I just hope Arawn and the others are
         doing well and haven't found themselves in trouble."

           Farseeker nudges Kiet with his elbow. "Ben'dar can find himself
         in trouble easy and in the midst of a hot situation in his sleep."
         He grins as Kiet tries to read a couple singed scrolls.

           Zhou continues, "The guard will have our descriptions likely
         soon and the others won't be known to associate with us at
         this point.  I know we can't stay here beyond tomorrow morning.
         We'll have to leave this place soon.  Things are getting too
         hot.  But if you know contacts in the city then you can head
         out tonight after dark and find them.  If your ...friends can
         watch the Baron's house then that's fine.  But we should return
         to the inn soon."

         [Time: 4:20pm]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Monday...

         GM: Sorry for delay.  Technical issues, lack of motivation at
             times and other factors.  Whether this continues is not
             known but this time of year is my vacation time.  :)  Consider
             this the Friday update.  Next update will have Square and
             Noble House groups return to the inn.  Depending on what
             folks at the Warehouse door they could be killed by fire
             or a nasty rusty nail or leave the area right away.  So
             Monday depending on the warehouse we'll move on.

         GM: Task groups:
             Baron House -   Zhou, Unali, Farseeker, Kiet
             Investigate -   Arawn, Ben'dar, Chion, Z'leyra
             Watch deaths-   Fremea, Kell, Raban, Will
             Stay wagon  -   Strie'bog, Caladan,