[pnpgm] Game Update #111 - File # 867 - Party moves on....

John Hooten jhooten at windstream.net
Fri Aug 20 09:40:14 CEST 2010

  <EEEK major spell mutations, but costs lots too ;)
<I have had a few players hit El20 areas, very very rare. Easier for
some innates especially if Fanatical.
<But it is easier to do with playing at a table meeting many days a week
for years and powerful items to boost stats, and much easier if they
were fortunate enough to get a supernatural key ability.
<A quick skim of old characters on file shows many have managed El10+ in
learned spells, more have gotten there in innates.
<Sadly I only have maybe a hundred characters on file, many times that
on paper but they are slower to look through
<PnP is hard on characters, many deaths. Worst was one of the new
abysmal charts killing most the group, but they decided it was fair.
<Beware abysmals that detonate magical items nearby, some groups carry
way too many!!!
<Fortunately the players decided it was their own stupidity, they had
also voted to use the new charts. New characters were made, stories
adjusted, and plot continued.
<I am actually playing a descendant of one of the dead characters from
that in another game, conceived after the death actually, but that is
another story ;)

<I have used a few rules requiring extra Mana for effects, I never tried
one using experience or expertise pools. Definitely a unique approach.
<Pretty sure I have had starting characters with innates >10 before, but
they tend to be of limited usefulness due to high Enl costs and slow
recovery

<LOL I did not remember the bag at all other than in a vague way.
Apparently I need to keep things in mind better, maybe I should write a
journal? Some other games I play have stories hundreds of pages long.
Looks like the last PnP game I ran in 2006 has a player journal 380
pages long. I may have to continue that again someday, we just got
sidetracked into other games. My active DnD game is 395 pages currently
and is at about 1 year of play, likely it will finish up soon and we
will start another one with a different ruleset. Sometimes multiple
players write their own versions as seen by their characters, it can be
quite hilarious to compare them.
<Raban would need me to write up much more backstory, not sure I am up
to a novella right now though.

<New Actions?
<I do not know the status of Raban's arrow supplies. He has been working
on making new ones but may have limited materials to do so. Since his
arrows are larger he cannot just buy them. But he could purchase
materials needed to make more such as arrow heads, feathers and possibly
usable wood for shafts? If needed such could also be listed for others
to purchase for him. Other possibilities in supplies are whatever needed
for clothing repairs if such has not already been done. Even then more
materials would be useful to get for later. Likely there are many things
needed, more food etc.

Raban is embarrassed by his forgetting the bag. His Bardic memory
training should have prevented such a failure but so much has been
happening. So many things he would prefer to do but risks the mission.
His soul is nagging at him, reminding him of his duties somewhat
neglected. But how could he arrange a performance that would not also
draw too much attention, no, such would not be in character for his
role. This role limits itself mostly to Drums, Dancing well would be
beyond belief. That leaves little other than crude displays of strength
or physique and even that is best done in a public bath or perhaps at a
well. If timed properly, removal of my shirt and dumping a bucket of
water over myself to cool off would work. If they used a common well to
wash clothing, that could serve quite well indeed...

Raban smiles to himself having worked out a means to get himself back
into his Goddess's graces. Perhaps this next town will have what he needs.

When talk of entering the town comes up.. "There are supplies I need to
purchase for making more arrows and repairs..."

<I wonder how many have figured out what his duties include? LOL
<Sorry, I cannot figure out much to say on the current story, so I left
a lot open