[pnpgm] Game Update #107 - File #593 - Z'leyra rejoins Sven

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jan 23 06:42:08 CET 2009

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #107 in sequence (file #593)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions/Treasure]
          <Yup Raban works either way on treasure since it mostly is
          unusable anyway. The only problem with claims is it favors the
          combat strong just like the usual PnP experience method does.
          Support characters in PnP get much less in general.  Should
          they have a lesser claim of the treasures as well? But in this
          case Arawn gained the armor more for what it is than because of
          his effectiveness in combat, so that shows exceptions already
          exist. As long as everyone tries to help each other it is likely
          to work out in either case. But if Greed comes in to play it can
          be a mess. Its a lotto if people pick before getting items
          powers figured out anyway, the value of magic can change
          radically. But PnP values have always been hard to weigh, Book1
          have some things like Dwarf and Elf make, way over priced and
          thinks multiplying by large factors for magic armor and weapons
          works as well. On that scale the Armor found would be worth a
          kingdom not just a kings ransom. I do not know how the economics
          of magic here work, so fa r many items were lower than I
          expected, so I can't judge many items comparative values.> <So
          I will just say this, as the player I am fine with whatever
          works for the others but I do not want to see 'claims' just
          for greed.

          'Claims' to use something is all together different. Magic
          should be used whenever possible, if it is not useful to the
          party, sell it so that everyone gains. I have had groups destroy
          the game with greed before. Hording items that were useful to
          others so they could be sold.

          As a GM, I allow the group to determine how they share and they
          may cause their own downfall with the choice. But that is Role
          Play and thus proper.>

          <So in this case Raban as new 'member' has little say on how it
          works, whatever the group previously decided should apply until
          some contract is negotiated IN PLAY. This is a group member
          contract between characters not players! It does not have to
          be fair or balanced. It is a business relationship with an
          established company of senior members and as such should new
          members get full pay? From that aspect, it would seem unlikely
          now doesn't it. Raban did not ask to join up to be paid, he
          joined up to help protect the lovely women! So if he gets
          anything else, he should be happy. You will see he never asked
          about earning in play, it was never something important to him.
          This is character's outlook and personality. Raban can make many
          gold a day if he wants too so only makes what he needs to help
          others, to pay bar tabs, for entertainment and for gifts. With
          most the world seeing a gold as a lot of money, Raban has no
          need of hundreds of gold, he will just spend it anyway. The
          only exception is if he truly needs expensive magic like better
          armor or other gadget. Beyond that,

          it means little... Now had Raban been the barbarian hoard type,
          he would have been much more 'mine mine mine', I smashed it so
          its mine!> < I have cluttered the posts enough I think>

          Raban looks worried as he speaks, "Someone died? Do they need
          help up there?"

          Raban is obviously torn between protecting Frema, something
          already proven as needed, and going to the others rescue. But
          he has already made promises here and must stay...
        GM: Ack.  I must say pnp does do support characters quite well.
            Many players get shares of treasure doing little.  This
            is why a equal share system (method 1) works well. You can
            do what you want with it.  Xian was one for getting killed
            often and yet gave support but got good treasure.  Same
            for others that did little.  As to Arawn and the Armor he
            did kill the Elf wearing the armor.  It was him or he'd
            have died surely.  So he sorta deserved it that way and
            not for who he is. But as you say there are exceptions. I
            personally don't care how treasure is done.  Its up to
            the players.  All could be kept and stored in a shed for
            all I could care.  But with folks having ranches and
            manors and people to feed.  Well I figure that won't happen.
            I know the party enough that folks like gold. :)  What
            they do with their share is up to them.  But since you made
            the comments about methods I put it to a vote. One reason
            I enjoy PBEMS is the long view.  Like Ben'dar's ranch and
            Z'leyra's plan for a hospital.  It allows goals to be set.
            Futures to plan for.  In table games you rarely get that
            long view.  Its for the adventure your in.  This pbem has
            gone over 3.5 years I think in game time and that is also
            rare for table games.  But like the comments.

                                ----------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions/Treasure]
          Just wanted to add on here, in case any wonder, I, as a player am
          not stressing on the armor (though it is nice), but Arawn, the
          character, has concern and interest in it. The reason behind
          this is that as an Alfar and as a Druid of the Sidh Gods he
          sees such an item as a Sidh relic of great significance. As
          elvish kings wear elvish chainmail he can only wonder at the
          significance of such armor, especially in combination with the
          mystery of the dark elves.

          Normally, under most circumstances he follows the Sidh perception
          on non-sidh holding on to sidh crafted items (that they do not
          belong in non-sidh hands). With this group, as he generally
          considers them friends, he does not mind making exceptions and
          thus would not mind crafting such items for the group, though he
          would never teach any how to craft them as such is considered
          very sacred knowledge (the kind that warrants Wild Hunts after
          such a traitor).

          I'm just posting this here in case anyone is wondering why
          Arawn would be interested in it and to let any wondering know
          that, as a player, I understand any reluctance to allow Arawn
          to wear it.

          [*** Raban's duplicate part deleted ***]

          Before the Glyph's arrival Arawn nodded grimly as he listened
          to the Seker's response to his question. It confirmed what he
          knew and had told the group. He could only hope that things
          were well with Sven down below. Thinking over things he quickly
          asked, "I forgot to ask, what is your name, Seker, and did you
          know the Anwora's name?"
          Waiting patiently while Fremea, the Glyph, and the Seker
          communicated he nodded agreement when Fremea asked him to check
          on Chion. "Very well. I'll see how he is doing and update him
          on everything. I'll return when I'm done to let you know what
          is happening with the others.

          As for the parts, I will agree to that and will let Z'leyra
          know if you are unable to communicate to her from here." Turning
          to the Seker he projected, "The dark elves, they were not slaves,
          were they? They are a mystery I wish to uncover and linked to my
          kind. I will take some of their hair if this will not disrupt
          proceedings here."

          He was just about to leave through the portal when the Seker
          suddenly warned them of disturbance elsewhere on the island.
          Turning around he asked the Seker,

          "Do you know who died?! Or their location?! Who is the distressed
          one and where are they located and what can you tell us of this
          new presence?"
        GM: Ack. It may be a unique exclusive relic for sure.  An armor
            made by the anti-elf elves might be quite interesting if
            they are all a race of normal elf haters?

                                ----------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea watches the Glyph and the Seker, nervous that something
          will not go right. Then the Seker talks to her and she feels
          relieved that it is nothing too serious. She really didn't
          understand why Arawn and Z would take like they did anyway. It
          was not for showing off to others like she has seen some humans
          do, and most of the creatures did not seem to have supernatural
          properties, such that she had to learn a little for her own
          training. So, even though she would ask, or more tell them
          about what the Seker said, and she didn't feel bad in doing
          so, she felt a little sad to not find out why they did it.

          "Arawn, you will have to leave behind all your creature takings,
          as the Glyph and the Seker see them as an a front to the fact
          thsse were slaves. We are welcome to take the items, just leave
          any remains of the creatures, so they may be buried with this
          island. Z will also need to do the same, and if anyone else has
          done this, they too will have to leave tosse items behind."

          To the Seker, "Can you let me send a message to my companion,
          the one who has a lot of magical knowledge, female? She will
          need to know, however I don't know where she is and it could
          be faster if I can just send to her through thought."

          To all in the cave, "We have time to remove all that we came
          for and collected. Arawn and Raban you do not need to stay here
          right now, as we can make sure everthing is collected first. I
          wish Raban to find out who has died. I will stay here to keep
          learning all that I can. Arawn, Chion is standing just outside
          the portal, I did not get a chance to say anything, however I
          am not sure if he is ok. Maybe it would be good to check on
          him. He could help a lot to get everything off this island
          quicker, so we don't have these kin enslaved any longer."

     1    <OOC - treasure, to Fremea nothing really seems that important
          to her, except the spyglass (many reasons for it), so that is
          why she has not really said anything about keeping the stuff.
          As for the rest of the split, I am fine with the old way,
          though Roleplaying it out is always more fun. :)>

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands, ? Miles up, Flying Island]

        [Time: 12:36 pm]

        [In the cave a couple minutes before the Glyph shows up...]

        [Arawn asks one more question of the Seker.]

        Arawn: "I forgot to ask, what is your name, Seker, and did you
          know the Anwora's name?"

        Seker: "Our names are hard to translate into most languages.
          But the best interpretation might be M'sahk for myself and
          the Anwora is named Yosch."

        [Fremea watch the two powerful beings talk or rather think to
         each other, knowing the next few seconds could be critical to
         the overall situation.  Clearly nervous she finally gets a
         few words from the Seker privately.  She finally nods and sighs
         in relief.  She could understand the views of the Glyph and the
         Seker on these things.  Being a slave it would be weird to
         have your body picked over by others as if a thing than a being
         who may or may not be intelligent. She didn't understand why
         Z'leyra and Arawn took samples at all.  Sure one could use them
         for shape changing but beyond that its like trophies.  Where
         does it end?  Would one take a trophy of a human chlid who died
         from some combat?  Some like Ben'dar might use a headdress to
         show prowess in combat or use leather and parts for clothing
         and food.  Those items are used by the Zen'da commonly and little
         is wasted.  Yet in other cultures they are shamed as barbarians.
         But in Human cultures like Marentia she has seen butchers throw
         away good parts of animals that were just wasted.  It is quite
         a confusing world to see one go from samples, useful items to
         pure waste.  A bit sad at the thoughts she speaks to those in
         the cave around her.]

        Fremea: "Arawn, you will have to leave behind all your creature
          takings, as the Glyph and the Seker see them as an a front to
          the fact those were slaves. We are welcome to take the items,
          just leave any remains of the creatures, so they may be buried
          with this island. Z will also need to do the same, and if anyone
          else has done this, they too will have to leave those items
          behind."

        [Arawn listens and wonders why such a demand would be given here
         of all places.  Maybe the Glyph's allies saw the party kill the
         other monsters.  The gargoyles could've even been friends to
         the Glyph.  If Arawn saw someone take a sample from Fremea's
         body would he be upset as well?]

        [Fremea watches the Glyph and the Seker seem to talk for a long
         few moments.  As she does she asks Arawn to check on Chion.]

        [Fremea turns back to the Seker and asks a question.]

        Fremea: "Can you let me send a message to my companion, the one
          who has a lot of magical knowledge, female? She will need to
          know, however I don't know where she is and it could be faster
          if I can just send to her through thought."

        Seker: "That is beyond my ability, I'm sorry."

        Arawn: "Very well. I'll see how he is doing and update him on
          everything. I'll return when I'm done to let you know what is
          happening with the others. As for the parts, I will agree to
          that and will let Z'leyra know if you are unable to communicate
          to her from here."

        [Arawan always curious asks another question of the Seker.]

        Arawn: "The dark elves, they were not slaves, were they? They are
          a mystery I wish to uncover and linked to my kind. I will take
          some of their hair if this will not disrupt proceedings here."

        Seker: "As far as I could tell they were not."

        [The Seker tilts his head toward the Glyph and seems to inquire.
         They have a quick thought conversation.]

        Seker: "For what purpose?  Hair will not give clues to who they
          are or where they came from.  Only knowledge will do that.
          The Master Elemental feels strongly about this.  When not
          looking would you take hair from him?  You do realize that
          each time you kill one of a god's precious pets or creatures
          they know.  It is like Kototh he is always alert for those
          who kill his creatures.  Same goes for samples.  To some
          gods taking samples is worse than killing them.  At least
          in combat they have a chance.  But after words desecrating
          the bodies to some gods is a personal affront.  Just be
          careful in the future some of their minions don't find you."

        [The Glyph stares and glares at Arawn waiting for his reply.]

                                --------------------

        [Time: 12:39 pm]

        [In the cave when the Seker informs that someone died.]

        [Raban stands tall alert at the news.]

        Raban: "Someone died? Do they need help up there?"

        [Raban fidgets back and forth, torn between helping Fremea and
         the others.  But he takes inventory.  The Anwora was knocked out
         and likely is gone now.  The Glyph is here.  The Seker is here.
         Leaves those wind and cloud things.  Unless a prisoner escaped.]

        [Arawn near the west end of the cave ready to step through the
         portal hears the wide thought-warning to the group.  He turns
         and heads back around the corner and replies back.]

        Arawn: "Do you know who died?! Or their location?! Who is the
          distressed one and where are they located and what can you tell
          us of this new presence?"

        Seker: "The new presence was just a mind I touched briefly.  Was
          too quick to get more detail.  My power beyond this cave is
          weak.  I can only pick up random thoughts and emotions.  I
          can barely sense beings in the castle and island.   Mostly
          emotional reflections.  The one who feels worried I can't tell
          who it is.  Their thoughts are weak and mostly shock and
          surprise.  Their location is the castle is all I can tell.
          I can only communicate with the Chosen One well outside this
          cave and all over the island."

        [Fremea shakes her head and turns to the party.]

        Fremea: "We have time to remove all that we came for and collected.
          Arawn and Raban you do not need to stay here right now, as we
          can make sure everything is collected first. I wish Raban to find
          out who has died. I will stay here to keep learning all that I
          can. Arawn, Chion is standing just outside the portal, I did not
          get a chance to say anything, however I am not sure if he is ok.
          Maybe it would be good to check on him. He could help a lot to
          get everything off this island quicker, so we don't have these
          kin enslaved any longer."

        [Arawn jogs to the portal and exits into the secret chamber. There
         he notices Chion who is just leaning against the wall silent.  He
         shrugs and heads into the navigation room but finds no Caladan.
         Then he runs almost into Caladan entering the room itself.  Arawn
         notices his face and stops cold.]

        Caladan: "The female Raban captured is dead.  Burnt pretty much
          to a crisp and mostly melted.  Beyond even Z'leyra's help
          I suspect and good regeneration spells.  I smelt the fire
          and came to the hallway from here and found this being that
          looked like Fremea hovering over her, wings flapping.  It had
          pale skin and these balls of fire.  Not quite like the large
          fireballs I do but smaller more tight balls of fire hit her.
          By the time I got to her the being simply vanished."

        [Caladan waves Arawn toward the body.  Arawn enters the hall
         and sees the smoking ruin of what used to be the female.
         Caladan explains he saw Z'leyra and informed her.  He also
         explains that Z'leyra found some flying device that can send
         treasure down below to the camp.  She'll be heading out soon.
         He gives full details on the being in question but it doesn't
         take long for Arawn to figure out what happened.  Caladan
         also explains the odd appearance of the being in the navigation
         room that appeared and then disappeared.]

        [Arawn listens half to the words.  Based on Caladan's explanation
         it sounds like Romati.  The avengers of some of the gods.  The
         time that passed the Anwora must've returned home.  While the
         Glyph was talking minutes passed here but maybe it was days
         in Anwora.  In that time they must've mounted an avengeful
         attack through divine methods.  That would indicate the Anwora
         got home but doesn't say if he is better or not.  It would
         seem the Anwora met this female, probably A'kril's own wife or
         lover.  To avenge the offense to the Anwora the Romati were
         sent here or at least one was.  But sounds like all that was
         needed.  Arawn turns to the stairs to look down and notices
         the wind elemental is gone.  Caladan explains the prisoners
         are still safe.  Would seem the Romati didn't need to go after
         them to seek vengeance.  Arawn frowns at the loss of possible
         information on this place from the female.  Caladan soon
         leads Arawn to the window and shows below the slab where Kiet
         and Z'leyra are loading items on it.  He explains it seems to
         have magical ability to fly and she seems to have figured out
         how to use it.  Caladan inquires to the others.]

        [Inside the cave the Glyph nods to the Seker and seems to finish
         up a long conversation.  It turns to Fremea.]

        Glyph: "I will be around.  Once over the water we will prepare to
          leave.  Once we notice the border barrier magic down we can
          assume the Seker is gone.  The Cloud will have the toughest
          to leave.  Hopefully the Seker, as I've asked, can hold himself
          here for at least a few seconds to give the cloud time to
          flee.  Otherwise the Cloud might not be strong enough.  Thank
          you for complying with our wishes on the bodies.  We have no
          use for the items and we feel they might help in your own
          future destiny." [He seems to glide toward Fremea.  He
          lowers his voice but seems to realize she can only understand
          him.] "I see in you good.  But that fire can flare up like
          my own temper.  Be careful that you keep it in check.  There
          will be temptations in life to battle against." [With that he
          glides away and toward the portal.  Exiting out he glares at
          Chion and then flies through the broken windows of the
          Navigation room to somewhere else.]

        [Meanwhile outside the first load of gear is placed onto the
         slab.  A few chests and crates.  Z'leyra leaves her bag and
         satchel as best not to have them drop and get damaged.  Making
         sure her staff and greatsword is secure she checks one final
         time the slab.  Kiet good with ropes tied lengths of ropes
         around several times in both directions to secure areas for
         the items so they don't slide off.  It is the best they can
         do as there is no holes or such for keeping it in place.  Kiet
         makes a rope segment for her to sit and hold on, just in case
         she loses concentration or something.  Standing is just too
         dangerous at 2 miles up.  One good gust of wind and she'll go
         over and down.  At least sitting she can hold the rope and
         steady herself with the staff.]

        [Kiet steps back and waits for Z'leyra to take off.  The first
         load is somewhat light and hopefully nothing will fall off.
         With the storm gone the grass is still wet and the fog from
         a few hours earlier is gone.  Kiet shakes his head at the
         fast pace the group has gone.  In just three hours it took
         out the monsters and is now taking treasure away.  Of course
         the defenders were light, especially up against the power of
         this group.]

        [Z'leyra concentrates and the slab lifts slowly up and away.
         Going south she heads toward the front area of the castle
         to ensure the weight doesn't shift.  Then she banks to the
         left east and out over the edge.  Suddenly she is in the
         air and through what looks to be the magical border barrier.
         She had forgot about that till just then but it seems to do
         nothing to her.  The mists and fog that surrounds the border,
         better to block view it seems, thins out.  Eventually she
         is in blue sky and moving south-east.  She begins to descend
         in a spiral pattern but not directly down.  At most taking
         only 10-20 degree dips.  In all it takes 15 minutes to get
         down the 2 miles for the speed of the slab which seems slightly
         faster than a good horse.  Luckily she doesn't fall off or
         anything else.  Though at least twice objects did slip but
         with concentration she keeps the slab straight.  It is clear
         if something were to hit her like a flock of geese she might
         go down in a river or worse.  Maybe A'kril sent 2 on this
         thing to get supplies.  One to fly and the other to act.]

        [Time: 12:54 pm]

        [Halfway down Z'leyra realizes Corona hasn't joined her.  He
         must be exploring the island terrain.  It takes a few minutes
         of circling to find the right spot.  Fremea had the best view
         but there was clearly a wide clearing.  She finds the right
         one after 3 attempts of false clearings.  She lands in the
         clearing finding footprints and signs of recent life.  She
         stands in the sunlight and removes the leather cap.  In the
         distance to her right, west, she hears the clank of metal.
         Z'leyra figures Sven must be banging away at armor to spend
         his time.  As she turns she scans the forest in front of her.]

        Voice: "I could use some help here!"

        [Z'leyra twirls and hears the familiar voice of Sven speaking
         in Katai.  In the west she sees in a clump of tight trees
         Sven fighting three humans.  There are at least two bodies
         near him and the party's horses are nearby the tent he has
         setup for when it must've rained.  Sven fighting the three
         men is about 50 feet away.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Monday...

        GM: Treasure Votes

               Player        Method 1   Method 2  Other   No Vote  N/A
               Arawn.............X....................................
               Ben'dar.......................................X........
               Caladan.......................................X........
               Chion.........................................X........
               Fremea........................................X........
               Kiet..........................................X........
               Raban................................................X.
               Unali.........................................X........
               Z'leyra......................X.........................

               Other   - Suggested method
               No Vote - Defaults to this if no vote given
               N/A     - Both, neutral, don't care
               Method 1- Claims, rest go to party share divided equally
               Method 2- Total treasure sum, claims paid for out of share
                         remainder, loss, profits out of long term shares

               Five votes make majority.  So far no vote (default) has
               majority and that'll default to method 1. Let me know.
               I'd like to finish up the treasure soon.

               I will take final votes up till the 31st.  After that
               I will work on the final version depending on votes
               and report them the next Monday.

        GM: For the 15 odd minutes Z'leyra is away I'll assume folks leave
            the cave to help load supplies into a general area?  If not
            let me know what you want to do.  No reason to stay there
            unless you want to I figure?