[pnpgm] Game Update #26 - File #288 - Party decides Whitney's fate

Thomas O. Magann Jr. tmagann at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 4 10:18:16 CEST 2009

OOC: My apolgies, I seem to have missed a chunk of posts from on deck. Whitney would have responded, and it may ansswer some questions about

him, so I'll do so now.

>          Whitney looks, yet again, at the three sailors it is felt
>        necessary to keep him held tightly,, "No, not a Duke. Where I come
>        from, we don't use a feudal system. Politics isn't hereditary,
>        although there are some old families that, in some realms, keep
>        their status and some sort of courtly position. I'm not one of
>        them. I'm a librarian."
>

>          Will turns to Unali, "Yes I had the misfortune to bring him on
>        board," turning to Whit with a stiff smile on his face, "don't think
>        of my words as a threat but as friendly advice from one mage to
>        another who someday may need a friend at his back."

Whitney rolls his eyes, "Why does EVERYONE assume I'm a mage? There is absolutely nothing of magic about me. I've made sure there isn't a hint of it since I left for Marob to do field work. Besides, technically a Mage is trained in sidhe magic. Human magic is mostly wizardry."

>          Looking Whit directly in his eyes, Kell's blue eyes piercing
>        him, "I am Ha'Kell, also known as Kell.  I'm a trader and merchant,
>        among other things.  You can call me Kell or Ha'Kell, my friends
>        use either.  I am curious which nation you come from?  I am from
>        Ba'Rual, far to the west of here."

Whitney's eyes light up, "Merchant you say? really? and what pray tell is your preferred commodity?"

>          Zhou with arms folded across his chest glances at the others.

 He glances to Unali and Kell. "But
>        trust is also earned over time.  Z'leyra clearly will not force
>        her spell on you.  A sign of respect and honor in some circles.
>        In my land it would be an outright challenge to cast magic on a person
>        who doesn't want it.  By that act she almost gains some trust
>        for you or hope.

Whitney gives Zhou a puzzled look, "Yes, I know. I'm from the same land...hell, the same realm. Even the same city. Remember? That *IS*, after all, where the Old Count keeps his library."

>          Captain Sung does his own math and nods.  "I would say that is
>        14 silver for the trip and 8 silver for the food. "  He reaches
>        out to the man with palm out.  "Pay in advance.  This of course
>        assumes they want you to travel all the way or just to the nearest
>        port."

Whitney shrugs, "Well, Captain, all my medicinal herbs were confiscated awhile back. Where's the mop? Unless, of course, like certain   Elemental Sea Serpents, quite nice fellows by all accounts, you'd prefer a bit of education? Yeah, I didn't really think so."

>          Zhou nods at hearing Sung's words.  "All right.  Captain is ok
>        with him staying.  He glances at Unali.  "It seems she has
>        welcomed you here.  So that just leaves me as overall mission
>        leader." He pauses with hand on chin and considers Whitney.  "I
>        recall you from the Citadel and the High Elder's public library.
>        Oby granted you access.  That alone is not common.  I suspect
>        they put some research into you before hand.  So the theory of
>        you being a plant might be low." He places hand from chin down
>        to his side. He then steps up and whispers low again so no one
>        can hear him. "But I am curious how you just happen to be here.
>        You would not lie to me about this being some test of the High
>        Elder?  Did he send you here to observe and make sure I don't
>        foul things up?  Or did someone else in the dark lands send you
>        here to spy on us?  Could all this just be a coincidence?" He
>        waits for Whitney to answer and steps back.  He turns to the
>        group.

Whitney shrugs, "What the hell were my opinions? I'd reached my majority. It was go out into the world and do some field work, or piss off the Chaos Bit... err, anger the Sorcerous by killing off one of her pet wizards, shifting the balance of power and requiring me to spend the rest of my life managing a realm of my own. The Old Count spends so much time making sure things run right and people are getting without major problem, that, after three quarters of a millenium, he still hasn't finished HIS researches.Why do you think he has a library in the first place? Librarians. We all have extensive information in our respective areas, short cutting his research no end."

>          Z'leyra goes to one group of the party and whispers.  "We can
>        take him to Katai with us, but so far I see no reason to trust our
>        new arrival with any secret information. Let him prove himself
>        first."

It's worth noting, that, while a good 8 inches too tall, and proportionately heavy, Whitney could pass for Katai as though he were borne there,  albeit, southern Katai. He's a bit too pale for Northern Katai.

Thank you for your time,

Thomas O. Magann Jr.