[pnpgm] Arawn's follow up

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 03:13:36 CEST 2008

   Arawn accepted Unali's apology with a smile.

   "There is no need to apologize for you did what you felt you must but the thought is welcome, Unali. Thank you."

   He then moved to check on Kiet, offering what comfort he could, concern and compassion in his eyes as he watched the man convulse before Z'leyra got the situation under control, the druid close at hand if help was needed. When it became apparent that Kiet was finally stabilized Arawn gave him a soft and comforting look before turning his attention to his own depletion. Moving beside Raban he inquired about the Angelica and found himself rewarded with a quickly poured dose. Smiling Arawn took the Angelica potion from the giant's hand.

   "Thank you, Raban. I appreciate it."

   After downing the potion Arawn felt the flush of energy coursing through his system and considered using his own powers to restore himself to full capacity. Realizing that restoring it should aid his casting he decided to do so (Energy EL0, up to 2 times to restore his Energy levels, cast with the wand). As he did so he took note of Raban's vulnerable state.

   "The others have protection of some sort and I can hand my armor over as I will be wearing the plate armor. Unfortunately I do not think it would fit one as large as you. Still, I would hate to see you unprotected. If you wish I can craft you armor to wear that should last until this mission is over."

   If Raban can wear armor sized for a regular man then Arawn can hand his own scale mail to him. Otherwise he'll have to resort to another trick...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   During the rest period Arawn brings to the attention of the magical healers of the group the benefits of Blessings (for CON) combined with Luck spells to assist in a successful healing for those who have been magically healed recently in a day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   As the group went over the room Arawn continued to study the chandalier before finally speaking aloud.

   "I'm not entirely sure of this but I'm wondering if this entire area is warded, not just against dangerous magics but also against magic and abilities that sense magic in the first place. It would make sense for a wizard in such an abode as this to ward it against other enemy casters, blocking their efforts to scan its defenses and thus leaving them in a precarious situation should spell battle occur.
   I noticed that two candles are not lit on the chandalier, unusual if only for the fact that the other candles are lit. Considering the wards, both known and unknown, I'm wondering if the Dark Lightning and possible Dispel were linked to the candles. If so that means the other candles could be representative of other wards in place, local or otherwise, and if so I wonder, would it be wise to extinguish them? Will that set off the wards or shut them down? And does anyone know of the old magics that would see through spells to obscure magic?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   In regards to the unusual coins Arawn states that they could have possible collector value if the right buyer can be located, thus making them more valuable then being mere coin.

   Arawn would like to save what mana he has left for the night but, if after everything else that might be mentioned in this post, anyone still wants to identify the magical items right now as opposed to the morning, let me know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   Arawn stood beside Fremea as he looked at the dead Dark Elf.

   "I am glad that we are alive but I do not hate these elves. I have never heard of them before which sends a few thoughts through my mind but I cannot judge them while knowing only a little of them. There hatred, well-founded or otherwise, will only serve to destroy them and I wish to know from whence it came, though it seems linked to the days of ancient past. I pity them for suffering the baggage of such hate, for it is a poison that eats at the soul and can rob one of joy and love."

   Kneeling down he took a bit of charred skin and nail clipping and wrapped them carefully in some nearby cloth from a more intact fallen.

   "I'll see what I can find out later."

   Looking down at the vase containing A'kril's ashes he addressed the entire group.

   "It is a pity that this should end in slaughter. He was a man only seeking to protect himself against invaders, as any of us would have done if strangers arrived uninvited into our homes after killing our beloved allies and pets. He did not initiate combat and it is a shame that our group was the one to do so, resulting in the murder of a man in his home.
   I know that there are times when we must fight but I hope that we can learn that an enemy does not always hide behind every door, even if some are mixed in the fold," he added as he looked at the Dark Elves. "In doing so we might miss the chance for a friend because we are too set in turning them into an enemy."
   There was a sad look on his face as he continued,
   "I hope that such a mistake doesn't come to haunt us again." He paused a moment in respectful silence before continuing.

   "My thoughts go back to the words of the prophet shared by the High Elder.

"In the days before the Second Great Plaque a son of the
          ice warrior will come in a mysterious manner.  The Chosen
          One will lead the Son to seek the Outsiders.

          The floating dark cloud will mark its shadow on the cold and
          bring a great blight to the land.  The tainted and cursed
          one will seek friendship before death comes.

          Through group confluence shall the terror be dealt with..."

A'kril seemed willing to talk over fight and his final words still ring in my ears, "I'm free." He seemed oddly happy to die and combined with the rapid aging of the body leads me
to believe that he may have been cursed to remain here for some purpose, though I do not know what. All this seems to indicate he might have been the one mentioned in the line, 'The
tainted and cursed one will seek friendship before death comes.'" He looked down at the ashes and whispered, "You have mine Master A'kril." Arawn then looked up and continued,
"With his death I wonder, what is the 'terror' mentioned or have was he guarding it? If so, I dread to think what has been released.
   I would question A'kril's spirit but I fear Caladan is likely right. Casting such a spell here could prove disastrous. If only there were a way to perceive the all the wards and what they
do? Maybe one of the candles serves as the focus for the masking magic, hmmm?"

   As the party listened to Chion's tale Arawn's head jerked suddenly, an odd, perhaps surprised look in his eyes.

   "A ring?! Did you say a ring?!" Arawn looked at Chion intensely before casting his gaze aside. "It must have been the ring A'kril was waiting for!," he said seemingly to himself.
 Looking up he spoke with the same intensity in his eyes. "Chion, if I am correct we must secure the ring before she awakens! I do not know the danger involved or if she is a force of
good or evil but if I guess correctly the ring could be of great importance!"

http://mail.yahoo.com