[PnP] WEapon Courses

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 20:09:52 CET 2016

   It is fascinating to see the game from a new player today.
   I have 2 new players (3rd on way). One who works with me
   is brand new to game very new.  So i had to write up
   primers and such for him.  The second has played but
   has gotten confused on skills.  I don't blame him now
   that I look at it.  SKills are so second nature to me
   after 30 years i even forgot this stuff.

   Weapon Courses

     The game lists these weapon courses..

Weapon Skills
      Weapon skill is initially gained in a specific Weapon Type. The
      starting EL, unless a Special event specifies otherwise, is ZERO.
      The basic courses that can be learned are listed in the table.

Weapon Courses               Course Weapons
Axe                      Throwing Axe*, Hand Axe, Axe and Battle Axe
Bow                      Bow, Composite Bow, Longbow
Crossbow                 Light and Heavy Crossbow, Arbalest
Dagger                   Throwing Dagger, Fighting Dagger
Heavy Lance              Heavy Lance
Heavy Sword              Broadsword, Bastard Sword, Great Sword
Light Lance              Lance**
Mace                     Club, Mace, Flail, Hammer, Sap
Miscellaneous Throwing   Rocks, Bottles, Chairs, Shuriken, etc.
Polearms                 Halberd, Poleaxe, Glaive
Repeating Crossbow       Repeating Crossbow
Scimitar                 Scimitar, Tulwar
Spear                    Spear, Javelin, Pike
Sling                    Sling, Handle Sling
Sword                    Sword, Short Sword***
Throwing Axe             Throwing Axe
War Staff                War Staff, any pole of usable dimensions
Whip                     Whips of varying lengths

         Now his confusion was on Dagger.  Why there are Fight
         and Thow at 2 costs.  So to the new player I can
         see his issue.

         First to him he was looking for Course Cost to Learns.
         Had to explain that's the basic Skill Cost.

         Second had to explain that more than likely Richard
         goofed and placed Dagger and Spear wrong.

     So Buying Dagger -Fight doesn't as the courses imply give you
     throw for free and vice versa.  So there is confusion there.

     Maybe we should have a FAQ for this stuff.  In today's
     world we should have Youtube videos :)  But the most confused
     part to me for new folks is Initial Increases.  I believe
     this is on Wout's site.  But explaining that to a new person
     is not as easy.

   So you guys think Richard goofed or did he intend to say buying
   one dagger gives you second? :)