[PnP] WEapon Courses

Thomas O. Magann Jr. tmagann at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 22:57:38 CET 2016

Throwing a dagger and fighting with a dagger are two different skills. Hence two prices. Throwing Axe is listed oddly compared to daggers and spears, but points this out for throwing axes, so I assume it carries over to throwing daggers, which are listed later. And I suspect that throwing Axe was listed as it was on purpose.

A throwing dagger has different stats than a fighting dagger. Hence, even when using it to fight, it's a separate fighting dagger weapon, much as club and mace are different maces. And an Elven versions of both are swords, at least for fighting purposes. I assume throwing an Elven dagger is just a variant of thrown dagger. One requiring it's own learning path.

Spears have two prices as well (fight style and throwing style), so I don't think he got them confused. Light Lance is specifically noted as a special case in which one skill covers both. It seems to be the only such skill that covers both.

Basically, the Combat skill list breaks down style costs by category, while the Weapon Skills list just breaks down the types of weapons in each category, and doesn't need to double list such things.

The fact that Axe and Throwing Axe are listed twice while daggers and spears are not simply means that ONLY throwing axes may be thrown, while all daggers and spears may be. No matter what the dagger is called or how it is designed.

Of course, I use the printed books, v1. If v2 is different, it may be less mistake and more that it was still a work in progress when he died, and incomplete or still in the draft stages.

But that's me. I don't see a mistake in V1. quite the opposite, I noticed Throwing Axe as the odd man out, and assume it meant something. I may well be wrong. I could be reading too much into it, but it seems to make sense to me.