[PnP] How do you balance encounters?

Paul L. Ming pming at northwestel.net
Fri May 2 07:48:26 CEST 2014

Hiya.

On 01-May-14 11:19 AM, Melkor wrote:
> "For play balance, the referee should restrict the total AHP of the forces that a party can encounter to three times the parties total HPV or less.
     I think it's saying "If the party's total HPV is 40, the total AHP
of the opposition should be no more than 120".
> To preserve the challenge of encounters, except in special circumstances, the Character party should never have more than a three to one advantage over the force that they combat, except in special circumstances during an adventure".
     This is saying "Try to keep the party-to-creature ratio at no more
than 3:1". So, if there are 6 PC's, there should be at least 2 creatures
encountered.

   Combining those, it boils down to "No more than (PC's Total HPV x3)
in total opposition AHP. No less than 1 opponent per 3 PC's. Total
opponent HPV allotment should be divided amongst the total opposition
forces".

Ex: The 6-PC group with total HPV of 40 could encounter 10 creatures
with 12 AHP each. Or they could encounter a group of 2, with 60 each. Or
a group of 3 with AHP 10, AHP 20 and AHP 90.

Does that make more sense to you?

^_^

Paul L. Ming