[PnP] How do you balance encounters?

Melkor mttdicor7 at inbox.com
Thu May 1 20:19:04 CEST 2014

I'm reposting the message again because i think i made some mistake with the previous sending:

I think that i found the answer today whilst reading through the books.

I was reading book III (creature book) and at the end of the book (page 59) i was struck by this phrase written by Snider:

"For play balance, the referee should restrict the total AHP of the forces that a party can encounter to three times the parties total HPV or less.

To preserve the challenge of encounters, except in special circumstances, the Character party should never have more than a three to one advantage over the force that they combat, except in special circumstances during an adventure".

Now, i must admit that i'm quite confused.Maybe it's because i am not an english mothertongue or it's just because Mr Snider isn't quite clear here?

I take the first phrase to mean that:

-the referee can arrange an encounter (for instance) with a single monster that has 120 hpv whereas the total hpv of the party is 40 (40x3=120)

while the second phrase means (again, as i got it):

-the party can (and should have, most of the times except in special circumstances) three times the chance of winning over a monster or an encounter, so the referee can arrange an encounter where there are 2 ogres totalling 20 HPV whereas the party total HPV can be of 60 (20x3), but not more than that.

Am i right? what do you think?