[PnP] Upper World

Panthera Altaica draltaica at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 23:27:52 CET 2011

--- On Mon, 2/28/11, Burton Choinski <bchoinski at comcast.net> wrote:

> To handle this I was sort of looking at this in a sort of
> online MMORPG way...each god has their own realm, and
> obviously gods of a related alignment are in the same
> general "area".  The size of each realm depends on the
> CL of the god (not sure what to use for a formula, TBD),
> with a number of "contact points" to other realms equal to
> the CL.  Basically, a network of "bubbles" connected by
> links, if you want to visualize it that way.

I'm basing mine on DnD's Birthright Campaign setting.
They have formulas to calculate the how much godly power the characters get from their domain.  so you just need to reverse the formula to get how big a realm a god would have based on there level of godly power.

---

The setting based on the world of Aebrynis on the continent of Cerilia, in which the players take on the role of the divinely-empowered rulers, with emphasis on the political rulership level of gameplay.
---
Cerilia was originally inhabited by the elves, dwarves, and goblins. Fleeing the corruption of Aduria by the dark god Azrai, human tribes settled Cerilia. At first contact between the elves and humans was peaceful, but conflict soon arose as the human population expanded into elven lands.

After years of manipulation and machination Azrai's armies marched on Cerilia. On his side were his Adurian minions, the Vos (a human tribe he had corrupted), and the elves, bitter from their wars with humanity. The human tribes and their patron gods met him in battle at Mount Deismaar, located on the landbridge between Aduria and Cerilia. The elves realized they had been tricked by Azrai and most switched sides. As their armies fought on the slopes of the mountain, the gods themselves met in battle. The other gods were only able to defeat Azrai by sacrificing themselves. In a colossal explosion, they destroyed themselves and Azrai. Mount Deismaar and the land bridge were destroyed.

The power of the gods was not wasted, however. It shot out and entered those present at the battle. The champions of the gods, those closest in ideal and virtue to their patron as well as physical proximity at the time of the cataclysm, received the most power. They became gods themselves, a new pantheon that would replace the old.

Other combatants also received some of the divine power of the gods. On the battlefield it did not take them long to realize that this power was in their blood, and could be stolen. A scion, as one of the divine blood is called, could have his blood strength stolen if killed by a blow piercing his heart.

The divine gifts of the scions make them able leaders. They form a connection to their people and land, drawing strength from them. And in times of need returning that strength and perform great deeds.
---
The setting revolves around the concept of bloodlines: divine power gained by heroes and passed to their descendants. Characters with a bloodline create an aura of command known as Regency, which is measured in the game using regency points or RP. Using regency, characters acquire a domain composed of provinces and holdings. The development of these domains is as much a part of the game as development of the characters. The game uses three-month domain turns to model actions of rulers over nations in much the same way as Dungeons and Dragons uses combat rounds simulating six-seconds of time to model the characters' actions in battle.

---

The greater cosmology is based on DnD 4e's 3 primordial planes of   existence.
http://critical-hits.com/2008/05/07/dd-4e-a-whole-new-world/

and SpellJammer from ADnD2e
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer

---

OR for a literary description, think Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.
 with the different worlds being created the way Neil Gaiman's  Faerie(from Stardust also in his other works The Sandman and The Books of Magic but I'm only familur with Stardust) was.

Stardust begins in a small English town named Wall, located a night's drive away from London. Wall is named after an old rock wall to its east, in which there is a small opening leading to a forest. This opening is a portal to the magical world of Faerie. It is carefully guarded by two watchmen at all times, except once every nine years on May Day, when a market comes to the meadow just past the wall.

Faerie, a world also featured in many of Gaiman's other works, such as The Sandman and The Books of Magic, is composed of "each land that has been forced off the map by explorers and the brave going out and proving it wasn't there", and thus features many mythic creatures and objects. Most of Stardust takes place in Stormhold, a kingdom within Faerie named for the Stormhold, a fortress carved from Mount Huon.

The story begins in late April 1839, as Henry Draper had just photographed the Moon and Charles Dickens was serializing Oliver Twist. The majority of the book takes place seventeen years later, starting around October 1856.

Warning: I have a complete and utter lack of tact.
Dr. Panthera Tigris Altaica