[PnP] Upper World

Burton Choinski bchoinski at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 02:21:52 CET 2011

I've never been happy with the "Upper world map" as given in the books...for one thing, how do you reconcile points on that world to the middle world?

For my current game, my players have a desire to eventually go into the upper world.  By my home rules (borrowed from RuneQuest), when adventuring in the upper world one can get experience that may apply to increasing the attribute maximums, so there is a desire to do so.  However, things are much nastier up there (Think regular creatures, with a +1 bonus on all stats, at a minimum, with all that entails with regards to figured stats).

To handle this I was sort of looking at this in a sort of online MMORPG way...each god has their own realm, and obviously gods of a related alignment are in the same general "area".  The size of each realm depends on the CL of the god (not sure what to use for a formula, TBD), with a number of "contact points" to other realms equal to the CL.  Basically, a network of "bubbles" connected by links, if you want to visualize it that way.

Each realm has it's environment and character based on the core god, with whatever rules of law that apply.  Certain realms have additional "overlap" points with the middle world, where the use of Upper world travel allows you to pass through the weak point.  You also need UWT to move along the links.

This has the advantage of only needing to map a region when you need it, without having to actually place it on a map.