[PnP] how virgin is virgin enough?

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Mon Feb 9 23:46:46 CET 2009

As both GM and player (with enchanter) I play that only the last stage
of manufacture from raw materials is necessary for one to be able to
enchant it. As GM I would give minor bonuses to those who competently do
the earlier stages as well.

Example A: Enchanter cannot enchant boots that were made by another
bootmaker or even from leather precut and marked by another bootmaker,
but can enchant boots he makes even though copying another bootmaker's
pattern and using leather bought from the tanner, butcher or
slaughterhouse...he doesn't need to raise, kill, skin and tan the
leather himself...though I would give minor bonuses if he did so. I
would give slightly bigger bonuses for the closer stages, in this case
tanning than for skinning, etc.

Example B: I would allow a minor bonus to an enchanter using raw ore to
make the iron and steel of a weapon or armor. I would also allow the
enchanter to roll with no bonus or penalty should he be working from
pigs of iron bought from a source that was iron ore. I would impose a
penalty of a small chance of automatic failure of enchantments if the
item was made from scrap that might include some material that was
either already enchanted by someone else or had previously failed being
enchanted/enhanced/ensorcelled. If the scrap did include such then the
final product would automatically fail when permanent magics were cast
upon it. This failure might have an increased chance of an Abysmal. So
using Detection, Perception or some other method of determining the
'virgin' status of what you are about to work on or use permanent magics
on is a wise precaution. Exception: If instead of just to a red  or
white heat the scrap was fully melted to a liquid state then it would
regain its 'virgin' status. Note that a forge melting iron is much
hotter than the usual forge used for pounding out iron and steel.

This makes enchanting jewelry and gems problematical as unless you have
dug up the gem yourself the odds are good that someone else has already
tried to enhance, enchant or ensorcel it. Large flawless 'virgin' gems
would have quite a premium over other gems due to the demand by magic
users and their clients. Dwarves and most large mining operations likely
have set traditions, rules and laws pertaining to who gets the chance to
cast magic upon enhanceable gemstones. Restoring the 'virgin' status of
gems is quite likely impossible for low MEL enchanters...perhaps
possible for high MEL enchanters. To do so would at a minimum require
high EL in Dispel and Regeneration spell variants.