[PnP] how virgin is virgin enough?

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Tue Feb 10 00:39:48 CET 2009

Natural magics is a major problem area.
They are quite valuable yet quite fragile under the rules.
If I recall correctly they imply a dispel can ruin the material somewhere?
Also a failed enhance ruins the material in many cases, gems especially.
So some method to repair these gems is needed or literally there wont be
any more gems to enhance.
Its a major magic economics question!

If its too easy to break and hard to fix then the gems 'value' is lower
and an enhanced one is much higher
You would only try to enhance one in the best purified and other boosted
means as its nearly irreplaceable.
If its easy to fix then the failures are not a big deal and the price of
virgin gems goes up and enhanced ones down some.

I always ran a version of Purification can be used to remove others
effects and thus return things to 'virgin' but that may have been too easy.
Maybe the El used has to exceed the El on the object before it can work?
If it was enhanced it could still have an MDV to resist being purified,
but once more low level casters that fail will have little penalty
So either of those do not limit things much
Set the effective MDV higher? Like 20 area?
Thats enough to scare away lower level casters.
Or set two levels, one for failed one for abysmals?
Or use same but set the failure of the purify on abysmal is an abysmal?
So badly failed objects would be risky to bring back but possible.

But remember any of this is setting part of the magic economics of the
game and should be checked carefully!

There already exists unbalance in the economics.
Large metal items are much harder to make than small ones.
Wood or Leather items are easiest to make.
Thus your small amulets and various other items can be made quickly and
cheap.
But major armors require much more time and materials even though the
magic used may be the same.
You may wish to set the skill check needed for enchantable works high to
limit the junk magic.
Of course some decide certain rituals are needed and thus set more
effort for all magic creations.
Nothing wrong with that, its just house rules setting the economic
factors again.

Item costs should figure some factor for that labor as well as the magic
and Mages should not work cheap.
So much per day plus so much per mana used plus expenses seems fair.
Note that mana and labor costs will go up based on Mel or other such
factors, so you pay much more for higher quality work.

If anyone has a pricing guide for regular items, I can try to fit a
formula to them that follows such rules.
I have been wanting to work it out but never settled on a good price range.