[PnP] Resurrection

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Sun Mar 16 05:34:59 CET 2008

>However, on problem with the spell seems to be the actual effect.  How
>much of the body is actually needed?  At high levels you can get
>pretty far along in time.

I don't know what you mean by body.  Generally its best to preserve teh dead or oblivion it or time stop or such the body for resurrection.
As you know Resurrection is powerful.  That other game witht eh dragons and dungeons but will remain nameless, used it too often.  Find a neighborhood friendly cleric.  Poof.  Dead rises.

So yeah I see no problme in the time involved extending it.  I think with a recent resurrection the Shaman took half a day to do it in my game.  But it can be a combined ritual.  Just dong the resurrection is one thing but the priest or whatnot should get the favor of the gods.  If not then some ill effects could be seen.  So something like Ceremony or longer rituals might be needed or just plain ol' prayer chants.

Aside from the body reduction I find there can also be advantages and disadvantages.  If the god is feeling nice or bored.  Maybe the risen dead suddenly sees flashes of the future or in weird wave lengths?  Or if the god is bored maybe the reduction can be seen with limps or ficks or plain going nuts after sometime :)

In my world resurrectioners should be rare.  Maybe in Marentia there might be 3 but likely only 2 in the nation who can do it.  Likely one for th ekingdom/nobles only who is highly paid.  Another one for the poor folks.  Problem with someone learnng the spell is infamy.  Suddenly being awoke at 3am and 4am and 5am to save my daughter or wife or sam the cat..well can be tiresome.  So most tend to go hermit or keep it quiet in my view.

I'm like you with the Morgatti weapon idea.  But why should it be a weapon?  It could just be simply a weapon in the eye or some certian magical poison or scooping ou th ebrain and then burning it.  Not much to resurrect there.  :)

I mean I've had to put blocks on souls for the easy Ask a Soul for the plot question deal.  Easy to deal with so resurrection can be the same.

If your talking about body parts in terms of decomposition then I'd say spells like cure age, regeneration can be used before a body is resurrected within limits.

Since we are talking Jhereg though theres always fun in resurrection like the Falls adventure to get the souls.  Puts a whole new aspect into resurrection. :)