[PnP] Healing

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Tue Jul 8 23:24:29 CEST 2008

J Hooten wrote:
> <Healing is an area that varies by GM rules. So the question becomes, 
> are there healing magics that do not have the usage limits? Otherwise 
> healing mist which will totally heal people may be the best choice? 
> Raban has a fair chance to be totally healed by his own Healing Magic, 
> but it is not safe to use it more than once. A more skilled caster would 
> improve that chance. In any case Raban will offer to use healing magic 
> on anyone who needs it, assuming a better method has not been mentioned.>
> <This could make Watchful Sleep a hazardous spell if its side effect of 
> healing counts for risk of death? Healing Light may heal only a tiny 
> amount on each person and thus aggravate the risk for other healing. Its 
> one of those PnP rules that add confusion and more bookkeeping. I 
> understand they wished to make it harder to just heal everything after a 
> fight.>
> _______________________________________________
> pnpgm mailing list
> pnpgm at abroere.xs4all.nl
> http://abroere.xs4all.nl/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pnpgm
In order to run Z'leyra as a more effective healer I put a lot of study 
into the rules for healing.
Healing SKILLS don't endanger the patient (unless herbalist roll is 
failed by 25 or more) and can be used as long as healing supplies last 
and at half value thereafter. Limits for healing skills are once per day 
+ once per magical healing, though in certain cases (multiple encounters 
w wounds and bandaging per day) it can be higher. Note that different 
healing skills (bandaging, herbs, massage) can be used and are 
cumulative. Simple bandaging can be used by even the unskilled, but are 
more effective when used by a skilled healer. Healing skills are 
cumulative with healing spells if the skills are used first.

Combining healing skills and magic results in the fastest and most 
complete healing available. Scratches can heal on their own or with 
bandaging, generally without much problem unless the scratch gets 
infected. Minor wounds can use either skill or spell to heal. Major 
wounds require a lot of time, major healing spells or preferably the 
combination of healing skills and spells.

Rule 1.3431 is a little vague about the definition of Hit Points Taken. 
If it is total damage taken that day even a C80 character with HPV40 may 
not want to risk a second magical healing if the total damage is high 
enough. If fully healed from 40 damage the first time and hit for 
another 35 points of damage the risk would be 80x2 - 75x(2-1) = 160-75 = 
85% chance of surviving the second magical healing. A 15% chance of 
dying. In a game I GM'd years ago one character failed such a roll. The 
players were careful thereafter to never risk it happening again.

Yes, Watchful Sleep is dangerous and shouldn't be used when it will 
result in a risk of dying. Note that Healing Light can be used as an 
offensive spell since it freezes the recipients (and caster) for a turn. 
A lot of damage can be done in a turn to someone who can't move. If an 
opposing caster used Healing Light my character would in most 
circumstances try to resist the spell, not wanting to be either frozen 
or having  a minor amount of magical healing instead of major magical 
healing later. I suspect that the healing gods would likely frown on 
using Healing Light offensively.

More information about the pnp mailing list