[PnP] PNP PBeM?

J Hooten jhooten at binary.net
Sun Apr 27 20:39:11 CEST 2008

I am playing in LongShot's PBEM currently but could do another.
Any details as to type of game, any special rules, which rule set
version, world views or other important things that may effect character
design?

PnP is an oddity at times, the NPC magic item generator implies few
magic items in a game where magic is easily made.
One of my favorite features of PnP is low level mages can make useful items.
Natural Magic materials can be even easier to make nice items from, but
they can easily be broken during enhancement.
Of course that is also where rarity factors come in.
If they are too rare you cant risk low level enhancement.

And of course 'virgin' material limits have problems for regular items.
Literal interpretations would require the mage to mine the material,
smelt it etc, before using any metal and similar for gems.
And could even mean material from Animal or Plants could never be
touched by another person before used.
Note: Natural Magics do not have the 'Virgin' requirement as it is not
required by Enhancement, just Enchantment and Ensorcellment.

When I have GMed I required use of Purify to remove any 'residue' from
others handling as a means to clean up materials for use.
It makes more sense than a literal 'virgin' material but that does
effect magic rarity.
Many GMs allow purchase of metals and gems for magic item use, but
technically thats all house rules.

I mention this because I as a player do tend to play mages or priests
quite often and as such would want to know how making magic is limited.

I suppose I should also ask what method of character generation you wish
used?
Do you roll or we roll?
Do you want a online dice roller or other software that tracks rolls?
I know those exist out there somewhere.