Similar weapon use

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Wed May 23 20:13:25 CEST 2001

|| say we have a Heavy Sword Skill. We start at EL0, with every
|| large sharp
|| blade we can use (in the category). Now you want to grant a
|| wonderbonus of
|| 1/2 the highest EL for similar weapons. I disagree. The
|| reason is quite
|| simple - they already have a 15-35% bonus by having an EL 0
|| in the similar
|| weapon. This is the modifier that would be subtracted if you
|| knew NONE of
|| the weapon type.

I'm probably not being clear.  The related weapon EL only applies to other
weapons in the same class.

When you learn the Scimitar skill, you get Scimitar at EL0 and Tulwar at EL
0.  By the current rules you can increase your Scimitar skill to maximum,
and be real good.  The second you start using a Tulwar, you are a rank
beginner with it, even though it is a similar weapon.  My change says that
you can pick up a Tulwar and use it at 1/2 your EL in Scimitar, and you will
not se any improvement in your use of the Tulwar until your actual EL in it
exceeds that provided by 1/2 your Scimitar EL.

I did not mean to imply that having Heavy Sword allows you to use Swords at
1/2 EL.

In case I did not state it, the related weapons use 1/2 EL, rounded down.

However, reading further I see your complaints are with weapons of the same
class.  I admit that this "similar weapons" bonus should only apply if the
weapons are used in a similar way...the use of a greatsword is very
different from that of a broadsword, though both are of the same skill
class.  However, a sword and short sword are pretty close.

We will probably have to disagree on the bow situation.  I feel their
operations are close enough, though you feel they are not. Granted, there
will be different flight paths, but that is why your skill is being reduced
(but not eliminated).
        -- Burton
Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce