Similar weapon use

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Wed May 23 19:38:15 CEST 2001

As far as the GURPS thing goes... Just say NO to crack!  (actually I like
RIFTS, so I can't complain too much)

I agree in principal, however, it is ALREADY figured into the game. Let's
say we have a Heavy Sword Skill. We start at EL0, with every large sharp
blade we can use (in the category). Now you want to grant a wonderbonus of
1/2 the highest EL for similar weapons. I disagree. The reason is quite
simple - they already have a 15-35% bonus by having an EL 0 in the similar
weapon. This is the modifier that would be subtracted if you knew NONE of
the weapon type.

Let's apply that to your Bow conversation. I entirely agree that
familiarity with one bow means familiarity with all of them. You put an
arrow in, you draw, you aim, you release. This represents the basics of the
bow class. HOWEVER, to BE GOOD at any of these weapons it takes practice
with that weapon. To simply say, because I am an excellent Longbowman, I am
a fair shortbowman is a misnomere. The angles of arc, aiming points, and
about three dozen other things come into play. I realise that with modern
bows this is a little more transparent (most having aiming beads for
certain distances, etc...). The fact is that, yes, you would know how to
load similar type weapons, know how to release them, etc... but until you
practiced you really wouldn't know where the aiming points are or ANY of
the finer points which account for an INCREASE in EL above the base.

Applied to melee weapons it is similar. You have a bastard sword EL4. You
have done a few fancy thrusts, parries, and what not with it and know where
it is balanced and what it can and cannot do. Picking up a Greatsword is a
WHOLE different beast. You know in the beginning that you use two hands and
swing hard. You don't quite know that by holding it over your head and
shouting (per Conan) you will be more intimidating than actually waving it
in combat. These are the finer points of the EL use... the finness of the
individual weapons comes out. The tricky stunts you pulled with the bastard
sword just aren't going to work with the great sword... until you get used
to it.

-Marcel

I see it as: base knowledge = familiarity; Higher EL = actual use/weapon
finness.

ps. sorry for spelling errors