Archery question

Paul L. Ming pming at HOME.COM
Wed Apr 18 14:48:43 CEST 2001

Hiya.

> || I say, "that
> || is why there is a limit on the skill EL based on those
> || stats." Your basic
> || COMBAT SAVY is still your OCV. OCV-DCV = Combat Table
> || Line... it is pretty
> || simple.
>
> Then What is the bow system saying then?  Take the value generated for
range
> and add that to your OCV? Granted, I know that arrows are pretty hard to
> dodge, but that seems a bit extreme, especially at PB range.
>
> How do you handle bowfire?

    Hmmm.  Well, according to book2, the "numerical values listed in the
table, except for Base Range, indicate the Line that is used on the Combat
Table."  So, we have this (hope this all comes out on the same line):

Arbalest: PB = +15 // S = +8 // M = -2 // L = -12 // Ext = Yes // BaseR = 24

    To me, what it says is simply that if you shoot an arbalest at someone
who is at Short range, you roll on Line +8 on the Combat Table. I think this
is the problem some are having....that an opponents DCV doesn't have
anything to do with size.

    Here is a possible fix...

    Each size catagory has a size modifier (off the top of my head).

    Tiny (<1') = Subtract 8 from line
    Small (1'-4') = -3
    Medium (4'-7') = 0
    Large (7'-10') = +3
    Each 3' over =  +1

    The above could be simply die roll modifiers too (so Tiny = +15 to your
roll; Small = +5 to your roll; Large = -5 to your roll; Each 3' over large
= -2 to your roll), the problem with this is that the larger a creature is,
the more likely you are TO hit it in the head.... Doesn't quite work, huh?
That's why I'd go with the Line Modifier way.

    The OCV way:

    Another possiblitiy would be to simply say that 1/2 (rounded up) of a
persons DCV is subtracted from the Line on the chart for missile weapons.
So, a person with a DCV of 15 is shot at short range by an Arbalest.
Normally, Arbalest at Short range has a line of +8...but we can subtract
(15/2 = 8) from that, giving us an effective Line of 0.

    *shrug* We've never had a problem with how the system works now, but I
could see us using the "OCV way", above. Simple, easy to calculate.

^_^

Paul L. Ming