Dropped Wpns

Wout Broere w.broere at CITG.TUDELFT.NL
Mon Oct 16 11:37:24 CEST 2000

>I know they happen it just seemed always funny when I started gaming oh so
>long
>ago.  I mean characters are to be heros like Arnold.  I just can't see Arnold
>as Conan dropping that big sword and saying "opps" then grabs it again.  I
>know
>it happens just always seemed wacked :)

Can't recall which of the hack-and-slash movies it was, one of the Conans
or Red Sonja, but I remember a scene where he fumbles, drops his axe or
whatever, hangs on the side of a pit with the bad guy standing over etc.
Adds some drama to the movie.

So fumbles happen in the movies. Now figure out a way to add them to p&p in
a way that makes sense. The discussion about fumbles came up (shortly) once
again in our game this weekend. Whether we want to introduce fumbles and if
so how.

Burton seems to rule that any failure that has double dice is a fumble. We
ruled for a time. A few years ago we had a fumble rule that any roll over
95+EL/2, before any modifiers, was a fumble. Are there any other thoughts
on how to implement fumbles in p&p? And what are the consequences? Lose one
phase, lose weapon, or what.

Ft