Potential For Public Domain Release of the Rules

Paul L. Ming pming at YT.SYMPATICO.CA
Wed May 5 08:42:21 CEST 1999

Hiya.

>Yeah, but what about a completely revised version, which is very similar to
>the original?  (Preserving the original spirit, perhaps even the same basic
>mechanics, but revised completely).

    So you wan't a 2nd ed P&P that is "the same but different"?  ;-)  What
it will boil down to is this: "Derivitive Works"  Just ask E. Gary
Gygax...T$R tried to convince the courts that they (T$R) owned EGG's
imagination.  The thing was "Because he created AD&D, every other fantasy
RPG he creates will be derived from the same manner of thinking; thus, a
derivitive work of AD&D."  Yes, they were on crack, but they also had lots
of $$$.  The battle never came to a verdict...TSR simply "out monied" him.

    Anyway, with P&P, I think the same sort of thing might be used if Hasbro
(they do own P&P now, right?) found out and actually cared.

^_^

Denakhan the Arch-Mage