P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Tue Nov 25 08:47:52 CET 1997

 -=> Quoting crkdface at PCPARTNER.NET to longshot <=-

 cr> practice to do so. So supplements are a necessity.  Adventures,
 cr> setting detail expansions, more detail on magic, etc., will be
 cr> necessary to support the line.  One part of the proposal AH asked for
 cr> involved listing possible future supplements--they wanted this to
 cr> ensure that there was strong support planned for the line.
 cr> Supplements are also necessary for building a community of
 cr> dedicated players.  Many gamers, particularly those newer to the
 cr> hobby, tend to like to talk shop and compare how they run matters
 cr> differently from others using the same materials.  They also like to
 cr> know that they are playing the game The Way It Was Meant to Be Played,
 cr> and official support materials help them achieve this.
 cr> And finally, the scope of a full-blown fantasy game far
 cr> exceeds what can be placed in the core rules.  Of necessity, much of
 cr> what players are looking for will not fit into the core rules without
 cr> making those into a very expensive purchase.

        I have no problem with all that.  I'm talking about the money
        schemes.  Some games (nameless) will just do XYZ supplement
        like "Beer: Everything you want to know about Beer for the game"
        JUST to make the money.  And many fall for it.  Its fine to give
        the core rules in one box (ONLY one) and don't sell say Book 1
        as one hardbound book.  Another as another, etc.  Building up
        the prices.  Add brief info say Sea Info (ship info) into the
        core rules (basic ship info nothing more) then come out iwth
        a supplement on Sea Tech (complete layouts, deck plans) for
        advanced use and players.  That type of thing is fine.  But
        the silly XYZ supplements and money schemes get me :)

... "There is a hole in your mind..."
--- Blue Wave v2.12