FV/DR

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Thu Dec 18 07:43:51 CET 1997

 -=> Quoting "Choinski, Burt"  to longshot <=-

 "B> Yes, at 0 it is pretty much gone. Now "Shatter" is a relative term.
 "B> For blades this might be accurate and repair would require an armorer,
 "B> and if broken replacement.  For "hafted" weapons like an Axe (note the
 "B> lower FV), I think this represents damage to the wooden shaft, which is
 "B> easily replaced for any skilled woodsman or woodworker (bringing the FV
 "B> back to the original, -1 for head fatigue).  The GM has to apply a
 "B> little visualization to decide what needs to be fixed.

        Makes total sense to me...

 "B> SInce there is no separate parry/block skill (it being an effect of
 "B> the combat table), I allow it.  So if you have your back to the way
 "B> with sword and shield you can go full defensive and add shield EL and
 "B> weapon EL to the attacker's roll.  This is the benefit of shield+weapon
 "B> vs. weapon alone (and parrying with it) -- double the defense when you
 "B> need it.

        The problem with parrying in gaming is sometimes you can parry
        for a lonnnng time :).  With equal circumstances you could be
        watching those old pirate movies where the fighters clash
        sword for about ten minutes not getting in a hit (G)

 "B> Magic is dealt with slightly different.  For items with added skill,
 "B> the EL always applies to the primary purpose.  Thus a sword always adds
 "B> to the attack, a shield to the defense.  Any user skill may apply to
 "B> improving fatigue or AV.

        Right...

 "B> No, this is for attacks against hardened targets only (shields or NAV
 "B> of 3+ or plate armor).  The weapon may suffer damage on the attack just
 "B> from whacking the hard surface.  For normal hits (and shield hits)
 "B> only compare the d6 roll plus SB against the FV of the weapon (do not
 "B> count magical adds or WSB).  For Severe hits (against plate armors and
 "B> high NAV), only use the 1d10 roll plus the SB against the FV+2 of the
 "B> weapon (do not count magical adds or EL adds or WSB).  Finally, for
 "B> Deadly hits, use the first 1d10 roll plus SB against FV+2.

        Ok.  Now I understand...

... "What exactly is your mission?" - Ivanova
--- Blue Wave v2.12