[pnpgm] Game Update #27 - File #273 - Second Leg - Kasha to Vistair

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 23:21:30 CEST 2018

    Character Name   Type       Player        Sex           Notes
..Arawn...........Druid...John.Haight........Ma..Alfar/Backup Navigator
..Dorhak..........Warrior.Kevin.Newark.......Ma..Captain/Leader/Dwarf
..Fremea..........Sidh....Tobie.Bonahoom.....Fe..Faerry/Archer/Magicina
..Ix..............Shaman..Rachelle.Gauthier..Fe..Human
..Kiet............Acrobat.David.Sanders......Me..Human/Magician
..Maelorna........Dancer..Don.Kerr...........Fe..Human/Seductress
..Mournath........Sailor..Gibert.Isla........Ma..Human/Navigator
..Pyandalgor......Hunter..Panthera...........Ma..Human
..Raddok..........Miner...Bess Hadley........Ma..Human
..Unali...........Ninja...Wout.Broere........Fe..Human/Dagger Maiden
..Z'leyra.........Healer..Alex Kopas weri....Fe..Fe..Human/Shman/1st Mate
..Barbasa.........Warror..Npc................Ma..Dwarf/Outcast
..Brutto..........Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #1
..Finn............Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #2
..Ardrackle.......Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #3
..Zepp............Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #4
..Corona..........Eagle...Npc................Ma..Companion
to Z'leyra                         [First Mate]
..Zol.Zim.........Wolf....Npc................Ma..Zehani Wolf/Ix's Friend

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #27 sequence (file #273)

         From Raddok: [Re: Actions]
           [OOC: this seems like a lot of stuff here, but wasn't sure
           whether to fill in a couple of those days at sea in this session
           or not, so I did; if unnecessary, hit me over the head, -
           gently -  please - lol]

           Marqi 24th -
             (Raddok is relieved when Dorhak gives the order....

             [OOC: he plans to practice this new skill daily, if possible]
             OOC: lol]
             [OOC: just trying to get the skills Raddok would like to work
             on while on board mentioned; the schedule is up to ship's
             officers - he hopes to be practicing by the morning of Marqi
             25th, and already have a few days' practice in both weapons (at
             least one session with each daily) by the time the first leg of
             their journey is done]

             [OOC: I would assume the cooking is being done on a stove on
             deck, fastened onto a protective metal plate on the deck, to
             protect from embers] Raddok offers to Kiet to assist with cooking,
             even if just running for ingredients, chopping them, or keeping
             the fire going.

             Raddok eats with the others whatever meals he can, listening to
             their stories, and trying to understand more words. He shares a
             couple funny stories of his early adventures - or misadventures,
             since one tale had to do with his stumbling over his own sword
             in the dark.

             After a wet night on deck (Marqi 26th or 27th, whichever is
             his turn to be outside),  Raddok wonders out loud how ....

             [Marqi 28th - night]
             Raddok defiantly states that hail is NO fun in a hammock,...

             [Marqi 29th]
             As the port of Kasha becomes visible, Raddok asks K'leyra...
         GM: Ack.  There is no obligation to post.  But this does bring
             up a reminder I'll cover below on mini IBT. Swimming
             is kind of hard to do with a spell active it would be hard
             to catch up with ship.  So as long as spell is in place
             I doubt no one will swim.  Technically at night when
             ship is forced anchor (even while spell is active) one
             could swim then but the current created by the magic
             would be dangerous.  Not to mention sharks at night.
             I like the hammock scene!  Funny.  Original idea too!
             Anyone can go ashore to get a bath/meal/etc. as to
             cooking since no actual food was bought cooking is null.
             It seems only Travel Rations were paid for no fruits
             or soups or meat.  So it will be a long trip eating
             only rations. :< Why supplies are critical for a ship
             like this.  It could be a factor for endurance/nutrition.
             As to daggers will assume paid for but remember email I
             sent this will make you very low on funds now. :<  There
             are places on deck for tents (maybe 3-4) but winds would
             blow them off deck unless really secured.

         From Raddok: [Re: Actions]
           That's a fighting dagger he wants - he doesn't feel dexterous
           enough to use a throwing dagger like it should be used. He only
           plans to use it as a tool, not a weapon, although having an in-
           close weapon might prove useful, and he might get some training
           in using it, if there's time among his other practices.
         GM: Ack.

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Besides spending her time increasing her Seaman skill,
           Z'leyra loans out her new Language Necklace when requested.
           Using her Watchful Sleep brooch and after five days of
           recovering mana she further enchants the Necklace to boost
           the Em of the wearer*.

           Â  When port is reached she will replenish the ship supplies
           and get new supplies (such as a new fighting dagger w sheath)
           that were suggested.

           *Using similar technique as Necklace was first ensorceled.
         GM: Ack.  I assume since unclear that means supplies are paid
             for by Z up to the original numbers (1k rations, etc).
             As to the new enchantments you'll need to give more
             details on the actual spells since it was probably 10
             years ago we did it and the dates since unclear.

           [Marqi 24th, 1636TH]

             (Raddok is relieved when Dorhak gives the order to cast off -
           waiting is hard when the brain and body are both eager for
           action. He offers to help, asking Z'leyra (as First Mate), what
           and where he might lend a hand. [He will follow her directions,
           whatever they are.] (Once the ship appears to be on course, and
           things quiet down, he looks around to find if Z'leyra might be
           free to answer a couple of questions, and waits until she
           appears free [around mid-day, I assume she'll have a few
           minutes?]. Raddok approaches her, touching his hat brim in
           respect to her on-board rank. "Excuse me, Z'leyra, but do you
           have just a couple of minutes - I have a couple questions about
           our routine on board."  (He waits until she acknowledges she can
           listen, either returning later if she asks, or going ahead with
           his questions
 [whenever he can ask them, here they  are]  "I
           was wondering if you will be scheduling any weapons practice - I
           would like to practice with both my mace and my sword, to keep
           my skills up & hopefully improve them. I use a shield with the
           mace, but the sword is two-handed. I'm willing to do two or
           more practice sessions every day, for as long as you deem fit
           for each.

             "Also, I think Kiet, or somebody, said something about
           swimming lessons - which I know we probably can't do until at
           anchor, but I really need to learn.

             "Another thing." He glances directly, if slightly cautiously,
           at her.(He doesn't want to annoy her) Is there a chance that
           you can help me learn Marentian? I was told by Kiet you might
           be able to craft a magical means of learning, and the more
           practice I can get with you folks' common language, the better.
           Whenever you're ready, of course - I  don't want to be pushy."

             "By the way, will we be rotating the use of the hammocks?
           I'll stay out on deck if you wish, as long as my gear is under
           shelter in a cabin." "If there's anything else you want me to
           be doing while we're at sea, just let me know. I can carry
           things or assist someone - whatever's needed." (He waits to
           see if she has any answers for him, or if she'll still needs
           time to arrange things - either way, he is patient and as
           courteous as possible.)

             (He has another, somewhat strange request, but suddenly backs
           off on mentioning it right now - he's pushed enough already, and
           she might think he's crazy if he suggests using his new climbing
           gear to get some climbing practice in, by either (or both)
           hooking the grapple over the side & climbing up and down the
           ship's sides, or hooking it up on a spar near the mast & climb
           up and down the mast using the grapple & rope - he's too
           embarrassed to mention it at this time.)

             He suddenly thinks he might see such things as practice
           sessions posted on the wall outside the galley the next morning,
           and hopes he hasn't annoyed her. He hopes she'll send him off
           with a chore, so he can retreat with some grace. He decides to
           hold off mentioning climbing practice for a few days, until a
           routine has been established.)

           [Marqi 26th, 1636TH]

             Raddok wonders out loud how he'll ever get his blankets dry
           (at least it wasn't freezing) - he says he didn't realize he's
           used to being in his tent, but there's no room on deck for that.
           He gets permission in the morning to hang the blankets on the
           rails tying them in place, where the breeze dries them, and
           watches the others' blankets, too, keeping them out of the
           sailors' way.

           [Marqi 28th, 1636TH] [Night]

             Raddok defiantly states that hail is NO fun in a hammock, and
           covers his head with his extra blanket - he's glad he has two
           spares. He falls out trying to get it in place, and joins the
           laughter of his companions, hiding under the hammock until the
           hail stops, then dumps it out of the hammock, climbs back in
           & falls back to sleep.

           [Marqi 29th, 1636TH]
           [Sea of Tears, North Shore near Kasha City]

             As the port of Kasha becomes visible, Raddok asks Z'leyra if
           someone could buy him a dagger & belt sheathe while in port, as
           he didn't  realize until at sea how handy the things were to
           cutting up meat or ropes, even if he doesn't use one to fight
           with. He hands her 2SC to  cover the cost, & asks her to tell
           him if it costs more. He also  offers to help carry any new
           supplies on board in this new (to him)  city.

           [Marqi 30th, 1636TH]
           [Time: 6:41 am]

             The ship prepares to leave the city after any supplies
           are delivered    For the first time in days the clouds
           roll in to make a cloudy day.  Temperatures range from
           33-58.  There are average winds with an average speed of 6
           knots but gives the ship 16 miles of travel today.

           [Time: 8:30 am]

             A rain storm hits the ship and lasts about 15 minutes.

           [Time: 12:!3 pm]

             Crew spots a large ocean ancient turtle on the surface
           of the water. it is big enough for a man to ride and
           must be hundreds of years old.

           [Time: 1:29 pm]

             A small marble sized hail storm pelts the ship for about
           eight minutes or so.

           [Time: 10:40 pm]

             The crew spots 5 medium sized seals in the water
           swimming along the side of the ship.  Some consider
           taking one for dinner but the animals dive before any
           attempts can be made.

           [Time: 11:44 pm]

             A moderately powered rain storm hits the ship drenching
           it for about 19 minutes.

           [Marqi 31st, 1636TH]

             The day ends up partly cloudy and signs of summer has
           not shown up as temperatures only range 27-46 degrees
           making for cold sailing.  Average winds help the ship
           but Mournath due to fog loses sight of the shore and
           loses bearings slightly.  The ship gets lost for 14
           miles before the mistake is corrected.  This only gives
           a overall distance of 6 miles gained today.

           [Time: 8:40 am]

             A strong wind storm hits the ship making steering
           a bit difficult to maintain course and things have
           to be batten down.  It lasts about 20 minutes.

           [Time: 10:34 am]

             Fog sets in the area for almost 2 hours as sight of
           land is lost.  Corona and Fremea offer to give help
           but the fog makes it difficult to get bearings even from
           the air.

           [Time: 8:14 am]

             A light rain storm hits the ship for about 5 minutes.

           [Apris 1st, 1636TH]

             A dreadful overcast day makes seeing the sun near
           impossible today.  Temperatures range from 27-54.
           But the winds are good today giving the ship 30
           miles to travel.  Arawn does make a mistake in his
           navigation at the end of the day due to the loss of
           the stars due to overcast.  But it is not critical
           as ship was near anchoring for the night.

           [Time: 1:03 am]

             Those no deck are awoken by a golf ball sized hail
           storm but it only lasts about 3 minutes.

           [Time: 12:41 pm]

             A school of Eel are spotted on the port side of the ship.
           The sailors are not sure if they are dangerous or just
           creepy.  Since it is day time they can't tell if the
           animals are electrical or not.

           [Time: 3:53 pm]

             A heavy wind storm hits the ship making the crew
           to batten down the hatches it lasts for about 12
           minutes or so.

           [Time: 7:50 pm]

             Suddenly the ship is struck as if hit by a wall. Those
           standing or on deck are tossed back a few feet causing
           minor bruises and cuts.  Those lucky to be sitting are
           not affected.  Then suddenly the ship lurches starboard
           and begins to moan and creak.  The rigging begins to
           strain to the force and 2 sailors rush to secure it.
           Two other sailors rush to the front of the ship with
           lanterns to see if its a reef.  Then one yells, "Whirlpool!"

             The rare event has happened with a force 7 style
           whirlpool which means the ship is caught not moving fast
           enough to skirt the whirlpool.  The size of the whirl;ool
           is 100 feet in  circumference.  But the depth is shallow
           at only 30 feet so this helps.

             The ship is rocked back and forth as it slowly rounds
           the perimeter of the whirlpool for exactly 5 minutes.
           Those not used to sailing are suddenly green and use
           the railing to support their release of the shock from
           their stomachs.

             There is little Dorhak or the crew can do to prevent
           the event.  But once it is over the ship orders an immediate
           anchoring.  The ship must be inspected from top to bottom
           for damage.  The crew describe what to look for and Fremea
           flies along the sides of the ship to look for damage as
           the crew and passengers look for damage.

             In the end there is minor damage.  Maybe a dozen boards
           need to be replaced.  Since no board, nails or hammers were
           ever bought the repairs must be made once in town.  The crew
           hopes it will last a couple more days without serious hull
           breaches.  They murmur at the lack of supplies for
           repairs on board.  The Fomorians didn't even get any
           as well it seems or just sold them.

           [Apris 2nd, 1636TH]

             The day ends up partly cloudy again with temperatures
           ranging from 16-69.   The ship gets helped by average
           level winds giving an average speed of 6 knots for a full
           distance of 24 miles made today.  That evening Arawn does
           fail on some of the local charts but Mournath fixes the
           error in the morning.  There are absolutely no weather
           effects today making it a rare day.

           [Time: 12:29 pm]

             The ship spots 3 local Bhamotin merchant ships in a
           tight fleet formation sailing south probably from Kasha
           to the next city.  But the spell of the Friendly current
           makes the ship too fast to slow down safely for any
           meet and greet.

           [Apris 3rd, 1636TH]

             The day ends up cloudy with a short duration of a bone
           crushing ten degrees for about 20 minutes  to warm up
           as hot as 86 today.  Ship gains a steady average set of
           winds to give the ship 22 miles today.

           [Time: 7:17 am]

             A wind storm hits the ship and a loose spar tears
           a bit of the top quadrant sails  But since there are no
           cloth to replace it will have to be left alone.

           [Time: 8:44 am]

             The crew spots 3 large red and orange stripped sting
           ray in the ocean.  They are tempted to capture one for
           dinner but one sailor says that type is full of poison
           and is not good at all to eat.

           [Time: 12:09 pm]

             A small rain storm hits the ship for about 12 minutes.

           [Time: 6:57 pm]

             The ship makes anchor now at nightfall as usual.  But
           Corona lands and reports there is a city only about 2 miles
           away.  Fremea flies and confirms it is a large city and must
           be their next destination.  Mournath and Arawn consult their
           charts and confirm it must be Vistair.

             Mournath warns the crew that sailing into the docks at
           night is risky.  But if its only 2 miles away and that
           would mean a night's docking compared to docking at
           sunrise and collecting supplies then would be a waste of
           time.  Mournath asks if Fremea can arrange a tug to help
           guide the ship into port.  It might cost a few silver
           to get the help but it would be good to have local help
           who knows the local waters.

             Fremea returns a half hour later and a tug will help
           guide the ship to a berth.  Soon a small tug ship arrives
           with heavy lights and guides the ship to a small dock
           of light merchant berths.

             Arawn has to dispel the magic to allow the ship to go
           slower and with more caution as it is towed into the docks.

           [Time: 8:15 pm]

             The ship docks at Vistair port and makes payments for
           local dock fees and the tug captain.

             Vistair a city of 14,000 is not as big as Kasha but has
           the usual city delights.

           Next Update....Saturday or Next week (Tue/Wed)

           GM: Second leg of travel done now in the second city.
               Sadly the rolls help you guys but hate me.  No big
               combats.  Darn.  Maybe next time I can kill off some
                pcs.  Some repairs sadly will be done in port so no
                free time for sailors due to poor supplies on board.
                As with last city if any plans to be made (bath, dinner
                of non rations, etc).  Let me know.  Otherwise we'll
                move on to the 3rd leg.

                This does bring up Mini IBT.  While on board one can
                improve skills.  I assume 8 hours to sleep.  Then
                8 hours of possible chores.  So in order to get full
                points you'll need to dedicate 8 hours. If less then
                you will get less.  If no skill is given I'll assume
                Seamanship by default.  Languages can be done by
                teaching or magic.  If by magic Let me know which languages
                you want to learn if possible.  The rope language item
                can be done once a day so its first come first serve who
                takes it.  So at this point its been what? 10 days?  So
                that's 10 days of magic use or so.   So tell me the skills
                you want to learn!  I'll process the actual points once
                Vahear is reached (not until then).  If you do more than 1
                skill you'll get less points so 4 hours of Mace and 4 hours
                of shield is 0.5 (or 1 if taught) per day.  Swimming will be
                very limited only at night and dangerous due to the spell
                Arawn has cast on ship.

                Also there is no obligation to post.  I've gotten some
                in email or skype saying nothing to post.  That's fine.
                If this was a movie it would be end of Reel A the usual
                travel montage where music is played while the characters
                travel from point A to B.  This is mostly filler.  But
                as with Raddok even he can come up with some filler.  But
                there is no obligation to post.  But it is GREAT time to
                get to know each other RP wise.

           GM: Expenses

                    Item                Cost
                  Tug Boat Help  -      33 Copper paid by ???
                  Food (Rations) -     511 Brass Bits paid by Z'leyra
                  Water (366)    -     366 Brass Bits paid by Z'leyra
                  Pet Foot       -       4 Silver paid by Z'leyra

           GM: Mini IBT [Marqi 24-Apris 3rd]

                  Player        Skills
                Z'leyra      Seamanship
                Raddok       Swimming, Mace, Shield, Marentian

           GM: Gear finals

                 Player            Gear          Sheet Ready/done
               Mae               Completed            Done
               Mournath          Completed            Done
               Pyan              Completed            Done
               Dorhak            Completed            Done
               Ix                Completed            Done
               Unali             Completed            Done
               Raddok            Completed            Done
               Kiet              Completed            Done
               Fremea            Assume take all      Done
               Z'leyra           **Need Info***       Done
               Arawn             ----                 Done

               ** Last time this Gear info will be posted **