[pnpgm] Game Update #-30 - File #1 - Kell's Funeral

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Sep 19 01:07:58 CEST 2017

   HT         Player       Character Name     Type    Status/Notes   Sex
   -- ------------------------------------------------------------------

   FH.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar... Ma
   ...Kevin Newark..........Dorhak............Warrior.Normal/Dwarf....Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   W2.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   ...Don.Kerr..............Maelorna..........Dancer..Normal/Human....Fe
   ...Gilbert.Isla..........Mournath..........Sailor..Normal/Human....Ma
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
      Fake-Kell/Raki........Raki..............Normal..Normal/Shifter..??
   R4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #-30 sequence (file #1)

       Admin Notes: Edited roster above for adventure.

         [None]

           [Sivas, Marentia]
           [Decalis 2nd, 1635TH]

             Having come home without Z'leyra the party spends the
           evening at Cholan's.  Treasure is discussed and the
           past events.  A round of drinks and toasts for Kell
           and others are given.  For Kell's toasts Cholan brings
           out a very expensive wine bottle from his private
           collection.

             Kiet makes arrangements Chion to see if he can deliver
           him and others to the funeral.  Chion agrees and will
           take Kiet early so he can arrange for funeral arrangements.

             Kiet stares at Kell's bags in a corner and feels sad
           as he knows he may have to go through the private things.
           Raki seems to understand and quietly explains, "Kell
           trusted you of all.  From what I felt he would be okay
           with you going through his gear. I seem to recall he
           has more stuff at the manor if that means anything to
           you?"

             Kiet nods and that must be Z'leyra's manor.  Still a bit
           tipsy he returns to the manor to go through the gear
           as best he can.  The guards show him the stored materials
           and welcome the party back with a note from Z'leyra to
           allow entry.

             Wanting a bit of privacy Kiet collects the gear and
           takes it to the stable. Others do ask to help but
           it seems Kiet needs to do this alone.

             Kiet is amazed at the amount of stuff the trader had
           and made himself.  Magical helmet, vambrace, spears, magical
           blacksmith tools and wand among other items.

             Kiet finds a Elemental book and some books he paid to
           make copies form Ticasi on ebony.  Skimming he finds that
           ebony did indeed have some magical properties.  But it
           may take a long time to decipher it all.

             Then Kiet finds a series of letters in the elemental
           book.  Kiet's throat tighten as he opens them.

             The first one reads:

             In case you are reading this I'm dead or in debtor's
           prison.  I escaped Ba'ru to learn and explore.  But
           I suppose if I'm dead I shall return there.  I do hope
           I am richer and a least a bit wiser.  It has been almost
           two years since I joined this rag tag group with a giant
           Bard and a tiny Faerry.

             I'd have never thought I'd go far and wide to Katai,
           Donara and other lands.  To help save the world.  Yeah
           I know I roll my eyes too.  I don't know if we had a
           great impact but some like that Alfar seems to think so.
           With the Vong threat dealt with it seems the Shaman wants
           to go solve her dad's murder.

             To a place called Ticasi.  Maybe I can find out more
           on this ebony stuff those in the Dark Lands spoke of.

             I don't know how or why I died.  But I do hope
           it was doing something worthy.

             To Arawn, being half-elf I always felt below you being
           a pure Elf and then to learn you're a Alfar was daunting.
           But you treated me equally.  For that I appreciate.  I
           hope you get home.

             To Raban, you big oaf. I still think you cheated in
           that card game in Donara.  I cherished that time together
           and learning the secrets you hold.  You should follow
           up on them and let the targets of those secrets know.

             To Fremea, you have changed so much with help from Arawn.
           I was so impressed with your archery skills in the Rising
           Mount Vong encounters.  So much that if I get back alive
           I'd want to learn more of this archery stuff.  Keep what
           is important to you at heart and spend time with family
           as much as you can.

             To Unali, you always intimated but I really enjoyed it.
           You could take me down with a glare but you also had
           the heart of a princess as we saw in Katai.  You are
           so skilled in wearing many hats.  I looked at how you
           can wear a nice gown in a palace event and then turn
           around and attack a horde of goblins with ease in the
           cold and mud.

             To Xian, I hope the gifts we gave the orphanages were
           enough.  I have made arrangements with a friend named
           Dumas who is a merchant of general supplies. He has
           agreed to sell supplies for the 8 or so orphanages that
           you frequent.  As to the other matter we talked about
           recently I hope your theory is false.  Otherwise we
           may be all in some deep trouble.

             To Z'leyra, user of magical toys and healer at large.
           I hope that you learn to use your magic from within
           not from without.  Using toys is all great but it
           deludes your magical prowess.  My teacher Na'bob Bruse
           taught me that things delude the magical environment.
           Since I enjoy elemental magic this was a huge factor
           as elementals did not like 'muddy' waters as it were.
           I hope that you will build and enjoy your healing
           places.  To that end I have purchased land in the north
           east of the city near the old dairy.  It is not much
           but it is 5 acres.  It has a old stone building that
           used to hold city work supplies and offices.  It is
           yours to sell or use.

             To Kiet, my friend.  I have a large snake for you to
           keep.  Just kidding!  I know how snakes love you.  I
           wish you to be my executor of the stuff I have. I
           will outline on another page any particular items
           should go where.  But I think you are wise enough
           and fair to deal with it.

             At Bolman's Moneylender Shop I have stored several
           other letters for family.  Please deliver and see they
           are not read by any but family.  You will find a voucher
           for my stuff there in this book.

                                         ---------

             Kiet lowers the letter and wipes the tears.  It can't
           be true.  It is almost a dream.  Is this real is he
           really dead?

             Kiet finds the scroll of items and reads it.

                                 ----------------
             Magical Helmet - Give who deserves it.  It isn't
                special just a magically tougher helmet.

             Magical Vambrace - I made this and loved doing it.
                IT has protection from Elder magic and a luck
                spell (don't tell gamblers!) I thought about
                Raban or Ben'dar  But I think its too small
                for Raban.  Ben'dar doesn't like full arm vambraces
                so I guess see who it fits better.

             Fighting Dirks - I made these.  Aren't magical but
                maybe Unali might like them?

             Ebony Shield - I hope I got some use out of this.  But
                I think whoever uses shields like yourself might
                like this.  It has protection from Elder magic and
                a Whirlwind spell in it among other effects.

             Magical Spears - One has Smokeless flame, Cold Resist, Quarrels.
                One just has magic for damage.  The third casts electrical
                magic. I figure you might like the first.  The other two
                maybe to a person worthy?

             Black Hat - my dear hat.  It is so torn and lopsided I hope
                to be buried with it.

             War horse - I think family should get funds after selling it.

             Magical bags/sacks - I think should go to my family so they
               might use it for their own purpose.  I'm sure Z'leyra
               can make plenty more.

             Carbuncle and Carmelian jewels aren't magical but was going
               to use for jewel skill  Maybe one of my sisters might
               like them?

             Sapphire amulet - to mom so she can give to family.

             Elemental book - This tome from Katai I don't know of any
               others who know elemental magic?  Maybe Kaylle could
               use in his library or you can find a worthy person?

             Ebony library books - Maybe return home to Ba'ru.  I
                doubt any in family would want these texts on
                magical ebony but I don't know.  Unless you think
                they are worthy elsewhere?

             Leather case - I made this to collect stuff.  But I guess
                no longer need it.  Maybe Arawn could use it?

             Magical Wand - A simple wand for a battery and gives
               a strength boost.  Not sure who might like it?
               Maybe Fremea?

             Talisman - another mana battery for anyone.

             Magical blacksmith tools - This is hard to decide.  We
                have some fine crafters. Maybe Z'leyra, Arawn, Unali,
                you are prime candidates?

             Pearl - I think Na'bob uses these things.  I swear he
                is 150 years old at least.  Maybe one of my
                family like mother or sisters?

             Magical horse shoes - I gave one to you and Arawn
               already.  But I have 3 more for you and him.  If
               you guys want.  I made 3 for myself.  Maybe mom
               could use it for his horse for my set.  The others
               you can figure out where to go.

             Draft Horse - That old horse should go back home if
               able.  I'm sure family could use it.

             Trade goods - Sell for family funds.

             Ebon pieces - I have stored up 5 spear length pieces, 2
               Pike length pieces, 3 dagger pieces of ebony.  These
               are just pieces.  They will have to be crafted and
               enhanced to make items. Or use the wood elsewhere.
               Free to divide up at least to those who can craft and
               know the Ebony rites.  I also have a Oak length piece
               I was going to make a 5.5 foot staff. Do as you see fit.

             Weapons, clothing and Shields - feel free to sell for family
                funds.

             Jeweler Tool Set - Anyone need a tool set?

             Vong Blood - Maybe Arawn might want?

             Journal Book - Please return to family and try not to
                read.  Maybe mom and others might find the info
                uesful to understand why I left.

             Rope and other minor items  Feel free to sell for Family.

             Platinum Bracelet/Armband - Nothing special just pretty.
               Maybe return to family?

             Merchant contacts Scroll - Not sure who could use this.
               Maybe Damon?

             Squirt - Dear Squirt.  I know family adored him. But
                I also saw how the kids at Fremea's place loved
                him.  He was kind to them.  I'm torn who may want it.
                Maybe mom and family could decide?

             Gold - I probably have around 85-90 unless I spent
                them.  Give half to family.  Give a quarter to
                Xian for his orphanages.  The other quarter share
                with whoever may remain in our band.

             Land - I own 100 acres of land NE of Basta City.
                I had hoped to build onto it.  But I guess
                that will not happen.  At least 40 of the acres is
                good for farmland. I give the deed to father.

                                 --------------

             Kiet lowers the letter amazed.  He had land too?  Kiet
           figures maybe it is time he settles down and gets land
           as well.  But this Will is heart breaking to read.
           Even in death he is generous.

             Kiet falls asleep reading the elemental book.  Only
           to be woken up later by a guard.

             Kiet collects the stuff and then notices a slip of
           scroll drop out of a pouch.  He opens it.  He finds
           it to be a receipt for a bounty hunter.  There are
           notes scratched fast and it takes time to decipher.
           It seems Kell wanted to hire a bounty hunter, no wait
           he did a year ago, to find his dad.   It includes
           the name of his dad as well as some notes on expenses
           paid out.  But there are no notes on who the bounty
           hunter was.

           [Decalis 8th, 1635TH]
           [Ba'ru city margins, Ba'ru]

             Kiet is taken to Ba'ru early so he can make arrangements.
           But first the skeleton is dropped off at a local undertaker's
           place for storage.

             Kiet then makes plans for the casket.  Kiet knows that
           in the final days of Kell he got interested in the
           wood of Ebony.  Going so far as to research its magical
           properties and was able to even obtain some books to
           that degree.

             Chion and Kiet gather horses and anything else that
           is worthy to go to Ba'ru and the family.  Then the
           pair teleport to Ba'ru.

             The city of Baste is a city of around ten thousand.
           The nation of Ba'ru is known for its weapon and armor
           smiths.  So a great deal of the people use this as
           their main path in life.

             Riding the horses Chion and Kiet head to the family
           place.  As they near Kiet is swept up that in just
           a month Kell would've been 29.  To die so early.

             In the foothills east of Ba'ru city is Baste city
           and the Kell family homestead.  As Chion and Kiet ride
           close they notice several large structures.  There is a two
           story home that has to have been his old home.  Near it
           is a medium sized stable and 3 other moderately sized
           brick buildings.  The pair can see a half dozen people
           moving back and forth between the 3 small buildings but
           they don't seem to be guards.

             Entering the property a man driving a wagon full of
           crates directs them to the house as he leave to the
           city proper.  The homestead is on the northern city
           margins of the city 3-4 miles from center of town.

             After cleaning clothes of dust they wait outside after
           knocking on the door.  A older woman in her mid 40s
           comes to the door.  They pair introduce themselves.
           The woman beams when she hears they are friends of Kell.

             Then Kiet requests a bit more privacy so they enter
           a parlor and relax.  A young girl goes to get refreshments
           and Kiet explains grimly about Kell.  Kell's mother who
           is the older woman, Hailey Amber Yunn Ko'Tho, cries but
           seems to gain control.

             Kell explains Kell died fighting the enemies of man,
           dwarf and faerry and even at the end had a smile on his face.

             "That sounds like him." Haily wipes tears.  "He was
           always bored here.  After we lost his father he just
           was too restless.  I'm glad at least he was with friends
           and did a great job.

             Hailey explains she will have to arrange for family to
           come to the funeral. This is when Chion offers his services
           if they are too far.  Kiet learns Hailey has 4 siblings
           but doesn't learn much on them.

             A young girl comes in the room and Hailey says she is
           Emili de Yunn Ko'Tho Kell's younger sister.  Kiet notices
           she is about his age and cute.  She is around 22 or 23 and
           Kiet notices her ears are elven so she must also be half-elf.
           That means with her mother being human the father must
           be a full elf.

             Emili remains stoic on the news and welcomes the pair.

             Hailey explainn she needs to send messages to family and
           excuses herself.  Emili shows the pair the house and the
           outside.  One building is just 1 story but large enough
           to house about 30 people.  It is one large factory with
           a single interior office.

             "We make suits of armor here.  Mass produce them and
           special orders.  We have about 20 on staff.  We tend to
           have 1-2 special orders and rest are mass production of
           leather up to chain quality.  For special orders we can do
           plate as well.  Kell always wanted us to start doing
           shields but the tools tend to break down too much for
           shields."

             The other building is a storage shed and the other
           is a barracks for the staff who wish to stay on site.

             Chion asks about Kell's father and Kiet glares at the rude
           comment but quietly is curious as well.

             "P'ter Malachi Ha il Yunn Ko'Tho...yes we have a family
           with long names.  He hasn't been since I was ten just a bit
           over 13 years ago."  Emili explains.

             Kiet does the math if Kell was 28 that means he was 15
           when his dad left.

             "He just hasn't been seen since.  Just virtually disappeared
           and we don't worry about it at this point.  Elves live for
           a very long time.  Maybe he just got tired of this life."

             Emili refuses that the pair stay in town at a Inn and
           feels it a bad omen if left.  So the pair stay the night
           and have dinner.  The four share stories of Kell over the
           next few hours.

           [Decalis 12th, 1635TH]
           [Baste city margins, Ba'ru]

             Just before dawn Chion leaves to pick up the rest of
           the party and others who wish to attend the funeral today.

             Kiet sees the factory closed and the employees form a huge
            banquet of food for the later service as they prepare tables
            and chairs outside.  It is cold but only in the 60s so
            not that bad.  The wind from the foothills is the worst
            of it.

             Kiet helps as he can and occasionally hears stories of
           Kell.  Including one story where at age 14 he tried to cross
           the barracks and factory on a small rope on the roof.  He was
           not skilled as a tight rope walker but he wanted to try.
           No one was around so he did it.  He fell and broke his arm.
           Kiet wonders if that was the start of his arm wounding days.

             Down south in Marentia Chion first stops by in Maren City.
           He picks up Ben'dar at his ranch for the funeral and then
           travels to Duke Aren's city home to pick up the Duke and
           Unali.  The Duke was not close with Kell but respected him
           and so wanted to go.

             Duke Aren is clothed in expensive black suit and leathers with
           very expensive black boots.  Unali is in a finely crafted black
           dress and for a change there doesn't seem to be any bumps in it
           showing weapons.  Ben'dar is dressed in his brown fine leathers.
           Unali is carrying some flowers with her.

             In Sivas Chion picks up Arawn, Fremea, Raki and Z'leyra.
           It is assumed that the others did not want to attend since
           never spoke up.

             Chion then teleports the 7 with ease to Kell's homestead
           grounds.  The groups mingle and wait for the service to begin
           about an hour later.

           [Time: 9:08 am]

             The staff had rented wagons for the funeral a half dozen
           or so.  If the family knew a Duke was here they'd give
           him the best but Aren never mentions it.

             The wagons line up and the procession is setup.  The family
           in the lead coach with second wagon covered the covered casket.

             It is a solemn time as the wagons drive up the road to a
           cemetery about 2 miles from the homestead set in the countryside.
           The party passes farmers and those going to and from the city to
           various other places in the province on the dirt road.  As they
           pass those who wear hats remove them out of respect and look
           down as they realize what is going on.

             One wagon going south stops the family wagon and it is
           a merchant who seems to be delivering wine and ale.  The
           merchant reaches back and grabs a bottle and hands it to
           Emili for the feast later.  IT seems the merchant knew Kell
           but could not attend the funeral.

             Almost at the place of eternal rest, the caravan passes
           an assumed girl standing just over 5 feet and about 100 pounds.
           The only reason some notice her is she probably in her early
           20s walks with a long cane.  She seems to swipe the cane back
           and forth as she walks.  But she is wearing leathers head to
           toe but on her head is a animal head.

             Ben'dar notices this as he once had a wolf headdress like
           this.  But this animal seems to be more cat like.  Maybe
           a panther or jaguar?  The thing becomes even more noteworthy as
           the headdress seems to cover her eyes.  Either she can see in
           tiny holes or just slits under the fangs in front of her forehead.
           But the other thing of interest is the animal walking along
           side her.  It is clearly wolf like but fairly large.  But
           no some in the party have seen such before.  The silver manned
           wolf looks up and the party notices it striking red eyes.  Some
           know this to be a Zehani wolf and it seems docile.

             Some are intrigued but not wanting to stop the funeral the
           party drive on.  Some like Arawn have duties to perform.

             At the grave side near a large tree a tent is setup for the
           family.  Kell's mother asks if she can see Kell one last
           time.  This panics Kiet as it was to be a closed casket.
           Then Kiet comes up with a plan.  He agrees but due to the
           odd nature of ebony inside it should only be opened for no more
           than 2 minutes.

             Kell rushes to the casket on the platform and removed the
           satin cloth.  He asks Arawn and Unali to stand by and ensure
           no one comes close as the core family line up.  With back
           turned to audience Kiet opens the top half of the casket.
           He then murmurs a active illusion to place the skeleton into
           a non moving form of Kell.  This will allow them to touch
           him and then move on.  But it may only last a bit over 2
           minutes.

             Kiet warns Z'leyra not to near the illusion in case she
           has her items that cancel illusions on her.

             The mother and sister approach.  They spend a full minute
           and touch Kell as expected saying words of prayer.

             Kiet is relieved when no one else approaches.  Counting
           the seconds he rushes to close the top.

             A short time allows the group to mingle before the service.
           There are no grandparents as those on the mother's side both
           died 4 years ago in their 60s.

             Chion informed the family that Kell's grandfather on his
           dad's side - Selec Zelac Ha ij Yunn Ko'Tho - could not
           attend due to not feeling well but sends his regrets.  But
           his grandmother - Dani Petal Malachi Bo Yunn Ko'Tho, the
           Elf does attend.  Some are eager to ask about Kell's dad
           but for respect reasons do not ask and it may be that
           they simply don't know where he is.

             Kell's best friend in Ba'ru - Kranus Aaron Ki Morash, who
           is human near 30 or so wears a shiny sword that may be ceremonial.
           Kell had talked about him a few times.  He claims that he may
           be a match for even Farseeker in skill.  During the feast Kiet
           intends to sit with him and learn some details.

             Another person here is Troyus Crg in his mid 30s who is a trader
           and gambler.  He setup alot of the long distance caravans going
           to Marentia and back and forth.

             Jak wil Yin Ki'Thic in his mid 20s is obviously half elf and
           is known to be a guard, trader and cousin to Kell.

             Jak is Kell's uncle and also here.

             Daisy June Sherms a human female in her late 20s is here who
           grew up with Kell in Ba'ru.  it is unclear if more than a friend.

             Uncle Samm'l wil Yin Ki'Thic is a Elf and Arawn figures he
           must be age 250 easy.  He was a traveler and trader.  He is
           Kell's uncle and helped teach Kell some of his elf side skills.

             Aunt May Yin Ki'Thic she is in her late 40s human but is
           wife to Samm'l.

             Jak's kids and Kell's cousins are here. Jayne half elf in his
           late 20s and Maria she is in her early 20s half elf.

             A very old man Na'Bob Bruse Brian Jonez sits in a chair and
           was Kell's magical teacher.  Kell believed him to be 150 at
           least but this is not confirmed.  The human wears Grey Elder
           robes like Kiet has been known to wear.  Kiet is surprised to
           see him get here.  In fact no one later recalls how he got here.
           The wizard is known to be a hermit in the hills.

             Jolley in his late 30s is wearing a Ba'ru military uniform and
           is known to be a military advisor.

             There are others who attend from the city including 14
           different merchant friends, 5 human cousins from mother's
           side and a dozen friends of family.

             In all Kiet is proud to see 50-60 people here.  He hopes
           that when he dies from that one snake that gets him that
           he has such a funeral.

             The priest steps forward and begins the service while most
           have to remain standing.  He delivers a great sermon with
           stories of Kell's past and his plans.  Then as arranged Arawn
           steps up to give his version with a slight slant for the
           Elven side of things as well as his Druid and Priestly
           methods.

             Then the group passes by the casket to lay flower like
           Unali's white flowers on the ebony casket.  Later at
           the feast folks will comment on the amazing gleam of the
           ebony itself.

             As Unali passes and drops her flowers she says, "you were
           a friend."

             The last to hobble by is the magical teacher.  He bends
           down and opens his palm to reveal some object.  Then he
           murmurs a few things and then closes his hand.  Then
           reopens it to reveal the small object gone.  Then he
           moves on.  As Kell's mother thanks Arawn it seems the
           teacher just vanished again.

             Raki studies the entire thing with interest on how death
           and endings work.  HE is eager as a new kid watching some
           carnival show.

           [Time: 11:02 am]

             Back at the homestead the party and friends have a huge
           feast.  Some cultures believe in 3 course meals it seems
           this place likes 8 courses.  There is much banter and laughter
           at the tables.  Raki looks around in case he sees Kell's
           spirit but does not at this point.  He must've crossed over.

             After the feast a large bon fire is set for drinks and
           snacks as folks can mingle and carouse.  But Unali and
           Duke Aren borrow some horses and head into town for a short
           bit before coming back to leave with Chion to Marentia.
           Some suspect Aren has some intelligence contacts in Ba'ru
           and would like to arrange a real face to face meeting to
           get updates and such.

           [Time: 5:12 pm]

             As many have left some family, friends and party remain
           with maybe 2 dozen left.  By now the grave has been dug
           and casket stored.  Kell's mother decides to retire for
           the night to rest but Emili stays and spends time as host.

             The party gathers for teleport home for those who decide
           to return tonight.

           Actions? Comments?

           Next Update....Soon..

           GM: Ok.  This got bigger than expected.  But it was fun.
               a nice tribute to Kell.  Raki's initial comments were
               wrong.  I forgot Mark had posted his entire family info
               in his sheet for his adventure which would've been
               #8 but now Dorhak.s  So I used his own words and family
               info which with those long names he came up with.  I
               left this open vague enough that folks can come early
               or stay later than 1 day.  You can decide in IBT.  I
               now have 4 IBTS in queue.  But no rush on others as
               I doubt I can do 4 in this week. :)  It will be done
               in order listed below.  Reminder, on those who do
               not have places to stay will assume Inn.   Stay tuned
               for Treasure results.  Update is a negative -30 to build
               up to #1 for start of adventure.  All sheets have been
               sent but Arawn's.  I'm waiting for some answers before
               I finish up.  It is up for Kell to give info on what was
               in any letters.  I just post here for story purposes.

           GM: Places to stay:
                 Some have places to stay others do not.

                 Arawn  -   None
                 Dorhak -   None
                 Fremea -   Warehouse/Home
                 Unali  -   Maren City Manor
                 Kiet   -   None
                 Mae    -   None
                 Pyan   -   None
                 Z'leyra-   Sivas Manor

                 IF you have not set a place you will need to
                 pay for a Inn for the IBT I assume.

           GM: IBT: [Reminder]
               See ...\pbem\cal.txt for exact month dates.

                             me: 4 Months
                 Adventure Ends: Decalis 3rd, 1635TH
                     IBT Starts: Decalis 4th, 1635TH
                       IBT Ends: Marqi 23rd, 1636TH