[pnpgm] Sheets/Bounces

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Wed Nov 16 00:02:32 CET 2016

  * Sheet

    Well looks like majority like sheets but its unscientific at
    this point.  Just skimmed posts.

    I agree that spreadsheets would help the math and be more accurate.
    However there are issues.  As I outlined with a basic sheet little
    issue but with all these magic toys on each sheet the sheet would
    have to reflect the various aspects of said items.

     Now its in Notes under Sheet Modifications.  Easy to find.
     But in a spreadsheet you'd have to have duplicate fields to take
     all this into account.  This will be a bit more confusing and
     harder to figure out.

     I am open and game to sheets. But you guys must understand
     spreadsheets are only part of it.  Text will still be used
     for equipment notes and all that.  So there will be 2 versions
     of said sheets.  This will add to overall book keeping.  But
     in theory speed up for the math.  including spending CPs
     in real time which is fine.

     But I will still need to reference text version to check
     items and immunities and all that.  This back and forth with
     sheets is faster. But with spreadsheets I'll have to load
     openoffice and then the new sheets and have more windows open.
     Again not a factor is majority wish it.  But this will increase
     my ovrall production time.  So more time needed for updates
     and such.  Though once use to such it might go fast and
     the math is done for you.

     So there are pros and cons for this new spreadsheet format.

     * Pro:
       A) Real time math calculations
       B) use of CPs in real time.

     * Con
       A) Higher overhead production time.
       B) More book work (windows in essence)
       C) Double versions (text and spreadsheet) to dole out

     Once adventure is over i can delve into this spreadsheet
     format (it'd have to be openoffice.  I have excel '97
     on this old machine but new machine has open office so
     that will also be a factor moving sheet to the othe rsoftware).
     I've not approved this yet but it is looking intriguing.

  * Yahoo

    Today was a banner day in bounces.  I had 53 bounces ijust
    had to sit and delete in one day.  This was when Pyan posted
    once and Mark 4-5 times.  Both use Yahoo.  Mark switched to
    a new email address but still using yahoo so bounces are not
    fixed by switching to a new yahoo from the yahoo domain.

    Now this is not a big deal i can delete it.  Though it
    does build up email size to later trash.  This issue wiht
    yahoo is not new.  It happened when Chion posted and he
    had yahoo.  I've studied the bounces for years and have no
    clue why other than suspect that yahoo is either spamming
    the list with the 'normal' posts and thus its blocked on
    list OR its malware on yahoo's end that is doing this.

    My gut is that soem how spam is being sent out piggyback on
    any yahoo related email accounts.  You may not see this but
    it does happen.

    The list itself has issues and is not perfect.  Today I got
    4-5 from Mark but one of his posts on Archives did not come
    to me in email (one on sheet format).  i had to go to archives
    as I do often and check for missing posts.

    I hear that yahoo has issues with gmail accounts but not confirmed.

    Don aka Mae reports his email doesn't get posts but that may
    be on his end as it seems the list is working correctly.  I
    can see one or two posts.  Like today I missed 1 from Mark
    and I will often lost 1 from pyan every so often.

    This is why I check archives before every update work.  The
    main pnp list (not pnpgm) is same thing where I'll miss some
    posts and i see folks replying to it.  So list is great but
    not perfect an dhard to track down issues.  I still think its
    far FAR more reliable than other formats.  Wout has done a great
    job there.

    So solutions for yahoo?  I dunno.  I suggest those using yahoo
    contact yahoo for solutions or scan of their emails.  Maybe use
    another email service.  Frankly I've used computers since '83.
    The free email services have always been unreliable.  Hotmail,
    gmail and yahoo for example.  But it seems yahoo is the most while
    the others seem fine at least on my end as bounces.  I still
    think ISP emails are far more reliable than free ones.  But
    that is my opinion.  I know my comcast is reliable on the
    5 email slots they allow.

    Should i not allow future yahoo? Maybe.  I am not a mean GM
    and censor stuff like that.  i can deal with it and delete
    the 50 spam bounces. :)

    But we move on I'd love to resolve this but I don't think we
    can as long as folks use yahoo.  And i will NOT force folks
    to change its not in my nature.  But i wanted to just let
    you know 53 bounces in 1 day is a banner day record. :)