[pnpgm] Game Update #42

John Haight sang_real at msn.com
Sat Feb 20 22:23:57 CET 2016

OOC:  Per Z'leyra's request Arawn will claim guardianship over any items that aren't confiscated by the constables, including anything that might be in her room.

-

   In between translating things for Pyan's benefit the druid made a suggestion, "As soon as possible we'll need to access the Necklace of Tongues. With things the way they are we can't afford to have you unable to understand much less verbally defend yourself if things get worse."

            "We shall see.  If not today he'll have to be summoned
          in the morning.  As one of the last men to see Tiren
          alive he may have some insight."  The dean nods and looks
          around.  "As to searching that one."  He looks to Pyan.
          "Do you give permission?"

   When Pyan was asked if he was willing to grant permission for a search, he continued to translate after informing the deputy of the language barrier. Unsure as to how well-versed the gathered were in languages he avoided directly advising Pyan, although he did give the hunter a subtle look hinting that the druid felt it might not be a wise-decision - Arawn didn't trust Martin and wasn't sure if anything might have been planted to further discredit those in Z'leyra's company.

-

3:15pm

[Before Martin Smith is able to leave the area]

   Arawn leaned in to speak calmly and quietly with the law-dean [OOC: If this needs to be said aloud then feel free to adjust this to reflect that but, ideally, Arawn would like to avoid having Martin Smith know the fullness of his thoughts and risk furthering his anger towards the group. However, Arawn is fine with the PC's hearing what he as to say to the law-dean ].

   "Dean, with all due respect I would request that, with Milo Smith a suspect, that Councilor Martin and his son should be held for the moment until Milo can be brought in. As relatives and with the possibility of clan involvement in Tiren's death there's a vested interest in counselling the suspect which could lead to an obscurement of truth through corroboration and preparedness.

   In addition, with Poorda's death in the midst of efforts by Ki to purchase and develop the land, said woman being one of the few hold-outs towards development , and as Councilor Smith along with Milo have close dealings with Ki, enough so to influence the Council to accelerate development by 2 days, I would also echo my companion's request," referring to Kell's earlier imploration, "tthat development be halted pending the final outcome of these investigations.

   With Smith ties to both investigations I urge you to send teleporters or swift riders to call in Ki and Milo now, as Garr Smith has already headed out and may be looking to communicate with either which could hamper this investigation.

    Lastly, in particular because of the above, I must state that Councilor Smith should not sit on the judges panel - being a potential suspect aside there are too many personal interests to allow for a fair and unbiased judgement due to his brother, at the least, a suspect, potential developments at risk, and animosity already shown towards Tiren, Z'leyra and our company."

---

[When Kell/Z'leyra offer to pay for the constable to watch Tiren's place...]

   "I'd like to request that only law-enforcement, Mr. Hammerhand, and my company be allowed access. If any Council members or teachers request access they do so with a constable and either Mr. Hammerhand or one among my group at their side."

---

[If the deputy/law-dean do not agree to teleporting to intercept Garr and do not have a pair of swift riders to try to outride him to Milo and Ki]

   Arawn quickly spoke privately with the party.

   "I have Corona tracking Garr but one of us should try to catch up and spy on him," he suggested, looking to the group to see if anyone felt they were up to the task and might volunteer. "He or those he meets might slip loose with something worth discovering."

[After asking for volunteers to chase Garr Arawn will speak in private with the PC's and Navigator Hammerhand]

   When Kell offers to look into Milo’s mining company Arawn gave a nod.

   “You’re probably one of the best suited for the task. Orto Mining is working with Ki Landsman’s company to develop this area in preparation for some new schools, Metal and Engineering at least which is no surprise as the latter would be heavily dependent on the former’s resources.

   Also, be aware that Martin, Milo, Garr and Ki seem to be pressed for time on a plan, perhaps the land development but possibly something beyond just that. Martin convinced the Council to allow them to begin in two days time versus the original four, as it seems they’re worried about Z’leyra’s presence here.

   With that in mind you could possibly use some help in investigating as multiple companies and even the Metal School will need to be looked into, Martin and Milo both having positions there. I’d suggest someone skilled at navigating such places with a blend of social graces, an ability to navigate beaurocratic files, while possessing a talent for accessing special locations without drawing attention to themselves,” the last comment an obvious hint toward the stealtheir members of the group.

   “In the meanwhile perhaps Kiet and one or two of us can chat with the shopkeeper and the residents of the gambling hall. If the man who sold the vase was Poorda’s killer we might be able to extract information from him that could shed light on things.

   And young men have a habit of talking too much after drink and sex so it might be worth checking to see if Garr has a regular girl in the brothel who might be convinced to talk.”

   “As to Hayna, I’ll see what I can find. I have a few other things to look into but as I’ll be on school grounds, if I finish in time, I’ll try and catch up to you, Kell.”

   He then looked off for a moment, pensive before releasing a deep breath.

   “Right now most seem focused on the Smith clan as the purpetrators of Tiren’s death, possibly Poorda’s as well. But there’s something else we should discuss before aiming all our sights in that direction – Tiren and Z’leyra’s past.

   Although I’m leaning towards the Smiths’ having something to do with Poorda’s death I’m not sure that they’re responsible for Tiren’s, at least not fully if at all.

   When Tiren was killed Z’leyra’s double threw notes into the fire and failed to take anything. The Smiths are metal-crafters, just like Tiren, and whatever they might have thought of Tiren’s metal-craft it would have made sense that they would have grabbed his notes. For even if they thought Tiren’s metal-work was truly inferior they would have attempted to glean anything they could from his notes in hopes of finding something useful to add to their own metal-craft.

   With the notes destroyed I think the attack was done to cover something up. Perhaps something like making sure his metallurgical knowledge, Kameran knowledge, never falls into other peoples hands.  I know very little of that land, only what Z’leyra has shared over campires and pulled from books, but I recall that the Kameri guard this knowledge and consider it sacred. If so it would make sense that they would go to great lengths to protect something so sacred and precious.

   And though I’d prefer not to think this, if a shape-shifter, illusionist or an enchanted Z’leyra isn’t to blame then I think we need to consider a suspect inadvertantly blurted out by Martin Smith – a twin, Z’leyra’s twin, Z’layha.

   If she felt abandoned she might have harbored resentment all these years for being passed over by her father. But even if she wasn’t angry with him, as a shaman it would be her duty to protect sacred knowledge, regardless of the cost.

   As has been said by other forces – there comes a point where one must prioritize their loyalties, their duties and responsibilites.”

   He looked to Z’leyra’s uncle, Navigator Hammerhand, the alfar recalling the man’s reaction to certain parts of Z’leyra’s story.

   “I have a feeling you know more to Tiren’s story than Z’leyra does, or was at least willing to share or believe. What can you tell us?”