[pnpgm] Game Update #18 - File #145 - A night in Malnon

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Oct 13 04:33:14 CEST 2015

   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/N;;tes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
W2R2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   W2.Julian.Draven.........Zabyra............Dancer..Normal/Human....Hu
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
W3R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3 Npc...............YY..Trihs.Der.........Warrior.Normal/Human....Ma
   R3 Npc...............YY..Reddof Nonnac.....Warrior.Normal/Human....Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #18 sequence (file #145)

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          After making sure that any wounded are treated and healed by
          whomever wants to heal them (or herself if no one else casts
          healing) Z'leyra will butcher the hippogriffs that others in
          the party aren't cutting up for meat, saving a few claws and
          feathers for later enchantment of items. She casts Foyson Theft
          at EL3 on each chunk of meat she roughly butchered into just
          over 16FP chunks and puts the resulting flour in a sack to make
          waybread with once she reaches town and has access to a kitchen.

          When town is reached she will bargain with the innkeeper to
          get access for baking the waybread. Also in town she will buy
          warmer clothes and bedding for dealing with the cold weather
          ahead. She looks for quality, but it doesn't have to be fancy.
        GM: Ack. As to Healing well that's one of those if this then
            do that.  I have trouble with those.  It is either do
            or do not. Easier on those extremees. :)  The If-thens
            need to wait and delay things.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          After getting the party an inn to stay at in Malnon, Z'leyra
          will head out to do some shopping (warm clothes, more feed for
          the horses) and to see if her old acquaintances the wizard Krix
          and the moneylender Troy Caver are in town. If so she will
          briefly visit each, socializing long enough for a cup of tea
          and to bring each other up to date on things.
        GM: Ack.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          While in Malnon Arawn will assess the amount of feed and
          rations necessary for the party and horses to nourish themselves
          for the remainder of the journey to Salaqa. He will purchase
          these on behalf of the entire party.

          He will also maintain a private room for himself while in
          town.

          OOC: Don't have my books handy but if the party would move
          faster using a cart to haul horse feed and rations Arawn will
          purchase this and any necessary equipment as well.
        GM: Ack. As to personal food for folks you'd have to dig in
            bags and I doubt you don't want to do that.  So it is
            hard to assess what folks need.  If a table game could just
            ask but here it would take a long time.  :<  As to cart
            I see no issue with a wagon/cart hauling stuff.  Buy a horse
            or two and it might even speed things up. We'll see.  Will
            assume Z does First Aid and you do group healing until
            you two come up with a sop so it is a bit more fair.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Kiet looks at Arawn with his head tilted slightly to the side.
          This is a long trip, an some of these people do need help with
          provisions. There is no doubt that the offer is generous.  The
          question is one of wisdom.

          "Arawn, your offer is generous, but I would recommend against
          buying enough for the entire trip.  We are on a caravan road.
          There will be way stations and other towns and cities between
          here and our destination.  Why haul all that inexpensive
          material that far away?" Says Kiet.
        GM: Ack. He did not post it as a dialogue so will assume
            this here rather than actual event.  It was solved though
            I think the best way.  We'll see.  See below.

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 20th, 1634TH]

          [Time: 9:10 am]

            Arawn and Z'leyra round up the wounded which are Red
          Shirt, Reddof, Kell and Fremea.  Reddof has two wounds
          but others have 1 wound each.

            Z'leyra begins the first aid process pulling out materials
          from her magical satchel.  The primary thing is to clean
          the wounds so they don't get infected.

            Once the first aid is done Arawn gathers up the horse that
          is wounded and the others.  The horse is fine with just
          light scrapes and claw marks where they tried to lift the
          horse up.

            Fremea decides to cast healing upon herself. But the other 3
          and horse gather up in a circle.  Arawn explains to the cousins
          they will need to remain there till the spell ends.  They might
          as well sit and relax.   Arawn tries to figure out if a low
          level spell or high one is needed.  But the range of the mist
          is a factor.  The horse would not stay so close.  So Arawn
          decides a high level spell.  Arawn starts the process and begins
          the words for the spell.  He then recalls the people will be
          comatose for the spell so that could do more harm for the horse
          so moves him out.  After all the horse will be fine in just
          a few hours naturally if not a day.  He warns the cousins they
          may sleep for a few minutes.

            Arawn then gestures and the green healing mist begins to fall
          around the small circle of people. In just 36 seconds both Kell
          and Red are fully healed.  The horse's scratches also fade.

            Another 24 seconds later Reddof's wounds all heal up.well.  IN
          a few seconds all wake up healed.  Z'leyra nods and sees no
          need for bandages now.

          [Time: 9:41 am]

            Kiet and Z'leyra begin to slice the cooked hippogriff that
          is now on the edge of the slope.  It will attract vultures
          and a possible smell for folks on the road but road kill is
          common in civilized areas.

            Kiet collects enough meat for everyone while Z'leyra
          collects meat and casts two foyson theft spells.  He then
          collects as much flour from the spells into his sack that
          holds his tools and goblets.  The tools and goblets will
          need cleaning in town.  But should be fairly easy.

          [Time: 9:45 am]

            The last of the Hippogriffs are shoved over the slide.
          Already birds are seen flying overhead but not vultures
          yet.

            During the process using horse, ropes and men to haul
          the creatures to the side some notice Kiet, Arawn and
          Z'leyra collect feathers, hairs and tails.

            Kiet places his 6 feathers and cut off tail into a bag after
          she checks for possible lice.  He discards a slew of some feather
          which did have lice on them.

            Reddof notices the trophy collection and asks.  "Why are
          you guys collecting these things?  I know some hunters like
          to rub blood of deer on their faces and collect the body
          parts for food.  But these....things are disgusting for
          any trophies."

          [Time: 9:52 am]

            The party heads out toward Malnon.

                                 ---------------

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 22nd, 1634TH]

          [Time: 4:40 pm]

            The party slowly moves towsrd the NE gate of Malnon.
          A half dozen guards are directing traffic.  Two are
          on sentry as 4 direct and inspect wagons.

            Z'leyra in front notices a man on a wagon grumbling.
          He glances over, "the guilds are smuggling things in
          to undermine our commerce.  So they have to inspect wagons
          and such.   The mayor has cracked down on that a bit.  Course
          any sane person can see it comes from the port."

            The merchant's wagon is inspected which is full of boxes
          of shoes.  The guards quickly find nothing and move him
          in.  The lead guard glances to Z'leyra.

            "These all with you?"  Z'leyra nods and points to the
          group in questiono.  The guard continues, "caravans if
          licensed should check with office inside gate.  Well have
          to inspect those horses."

            Z'leyra considers arguing but it is getting late and
          they could deny entry.  But Kell does speak up, "you
          may inspect but we'd prefer to open things for clear viewing
          To prevent damage."

            The guard shrugs and waves his friends forward.  The party
          dismount and begin to open bags.  For the most part it is
          clear most are simple personal items like books or clothing
          the guards spend only a second or two at most on those bags.
          After all they are looking for commercial items not who has
          the best underwear.

          [Time: 4:52 pm]

            Finally the party enters after the guards get details on
          purpose in town.

            In the large square the city is bustling with traffic
          entering and leaving the city.  Kell points to a wall with
          a map behind glass.  The party looks at it for the next
          leg of travel.

            The party tries to study the map and figures it to be 260-280
          miles away to Thaliba City.  At least 10 days travel or maybe
          11.  Kell notices there are two roadside inns marked along
          the way.  So probably 2 days travel then Inn.  Then 4 days
          or so before the next.  Then 5 days before the next city
          after that.  So group may only need 5 days of food but
          that assumes the inn has enough for them and the horses.

            Z'leyra asks where there are some good Inns and a nice
          barn combination.  A citizen tells the group there is
          a row of Inns only 3 streets south.  There are like 8
          of them and half decent barns.  So the party goes to find
          the street.

          [Time: 5:00 pm]

            Z'leyra finds a inn that seems decent called the Silver
          Platter that is three stories with a barn to hold 25
          horses and space for a wagon or two.

            Z'leyra asks for three rooms but Kiet and Arawn say
          they will get their own rooms.  So leaves 8 or 4 per
          room.  Z'leyra then pays for the 8 including herself
          giving the man 8 CC and 5 CC for the meals.  For the
          horses Kell has to talk the man down to 22 CC for the horses
          which includes grooming, feed and security.  Kell finds it
          a bit steep but it is the city.  So Z'leyra hands over
          3 Silver and 1 copper.

            Protection in this case is a stable boy and a actual
          guard who patrols the grounds and the stable.  So that
          is a bit of a bonus.  But with the gear that is on
          the horses being expensive the party may still wan tot
          keep one sentry in the barn as well.

            The horses are housed and the four rooms are found.
          For Kiet and Arawn they have a nice bed.  For the
          others it is more a closet, cabinet for things and
          a desk.  Small sleeping mats with bedding is on the
          floor.

            The party heads out for some shopping at least those
          who wish to do so.  The party can eat maybe in an
          hour and half when it gets dark.  Z'leyra asks about
          the kitchen but the cook is picky and refuses.  But
          the cook suggests next door.  Z'leyra heads over to
          ask about baking the flour and the cook looks a bit
          confused but glints at her clothing.  He offers his
          kitchen after the dinner break around 8 for 2 copper.

            Arawn, Unali, Kiet and Z'leyra head to the markets
          for various things.

            Z'leyra heads to a shop he recalls where Troy Caver was
          last time.  Z'leyra recalls her notes form her journal.
          It has been 302 days or so since she left Ticasi when
          her father died.  Not even one full year.  Along the
          way she met Troy and Krix the balance wizard.  She
          enters the shop and asks for Troy.  Troy exits his inner
          office and doesn't recognize Z'leyra until she removes
          her helmet.  "You are back?!  It has been what....It
          has been what nine months?"  Z'leyra extends a hand
          and shakes her but she knows it was 285 days.  "Come
          sit. "  The two sit and chat for a bit.

            Troy serves some hot tea and he catches up a bit.
          They were never close dear friends but she did a
          delivery to this moneylender.  Finally he notices
          the Shaman about to leave.  "It has been nice to see
          you again.  We are about to close up shop.  Say
          would you want to deliver some coins to Ticasi?  We
          pay local messengers but since you say you are heading
          back there and you have a group of 10...I could
          allow you some coin for your time.  It is around 680
          miles to Ticasi.  We normally pay horses but with winter
          coming we change to ships.  But ships are expensive.
          We generally ship 50-100 gold a week to Ticasi.  But
          with your large group....How about a month's worth?
          Say 400 gold?  That is about 50 pounds.   You could also
          deliver bars instead of coins.  A bar is about 640 coins
          on average.  Two bars are around 10 pounds and that could
          supply them enough for 3 months.  Course I could pay
          say 2%.  So that's what 8 gold if coins or 25 gold if
          you take the two bars?  What do you say?"  He smiles.  "I
          would write a note to be paid on deliver to my Ticasi shop."
          He does some more math in his head.  "Probably take you
          3 weeks?  We tend to lose maybe 1 messenger every month
          to bandits but no one would risk a large group like
          yours.  Three weeks for 8 or 25 gold?"

            Z'leyra exits and tries to recall where the wizard Krix
          is.  She recalls he was known to visit a tavern.  Because
          it is getting late she asks a messenger to see if she
          can find him and if possible meet him at the Silver Platter
          inn.  She pays the messenger and hurries to the food markets
          for some food and a tailor shop for warm clothing.

          [Time: 6:37 pm]

            The temperature drops 10 degrees as the sun settles.  The
          group sits along the table near the large fireplace.  They
          eat a nice meal and share some fellowship  Some in the
          party have taken baths and smell a whole lot better.

          [Time: 8:15 pm]

            Kiet asks Kell and Pyan to head to his room.  The dancer
          wonders why she isn't invited to his room.  That nice
          comfy bed for 2 not used while she lays on the hard floor
          on a mat.

                                 ---------------

          [Western Marentia - Malnon City]
          [Novehas 23rd, 1634TH]

          [Time: 6:03 am]

            The party wakes and heads downstairs for a very early
          breakfast.   Then the party collects outside to mount
          up and place bags back on horses.  But Arawn is missing.
          Exiting the barn they find Arawn standing by a wagon with
          two horses.  He smiles and explains he got it to help
          the horses with food and carry things.

          Actions?  Comments?

          Next Update....Monday??

          GM: A small update but I'll give some time to include
              any last minute shopping.  Arawn's idea to get a wagon
              was good but I read that by using a wagon it is 80%
              f the horses MR.  Even a RH4 at 32 would be 26.  But
              RH's don't pull wagons.  So draft horses are 20 which
              would be reduced to 16 which is almost half the speed
              and that's not good.  I figured those old west wagons
              were faster. :)  So I did it with two horses as pack
              animals.  I hope this is acceptable to Arawn.  It
              actually will increase speed of party from 29 to 30
              now by shifting gear.  Plus it will feed the horses
              and folks.  At 200 pounds of grain and horses will
              need 45 fp a day.  That's at least 4 days without
              grazing.  So hopefully grazing will help.  Then if
              the roadsides have grain can be restocked.  So Arawn
              I figured 20 pounds of grain if this is not good let
              me know.  The horses can carry 230  pounds each.

              Next two Thursdays I work so update for Friday will
              be erratic.  This week I doubt there will be a Friday
              update since I need to do Insurance for next year
              (that time again).  If I do a SMALL update it will be
              started Wednesday at noon.  But if not out by that
              night then I will try to work on it Saturday and for
              sure Monday at noon.  For official Monday update if
              things get delayed by my insurance project.

              Next update can be any last minute shopping.  If no
              update later this week then it will be Monday and
              that means we leave the city and start the next
              leg of travel.  So let me know if you need to get
              anything in particular.

              So if party and Arawn is ok with the 2 new horses
              we will go on.  I'll not worry about encumbrance
              and food for folks.  I will track food for the horses
              though.

              Just noticed v2 changed wagon loads a bit since v1.
              Still says 80% pmr by horses.  So even a fast
              horse like 32 is down to 28.  So I think this way
              is better just to use pack horse since speed is a
              factor.  If no time critical then wagon wold be
              the most efficient.

          GM: Map of Thaliba is on my website and Wout's if needed.
              Can view it on my site at links if need a glance of
              where things re going.

          GM: Mana Report current and online as of end of this update,.
              Includes some of the new experience.  I will clear
              the experience and item gear damage out for the next
              leg so its easier to read.

          GM: Healing Mist - The spell ends once the person is
                healed.  I can see that as once the LEAST wounded
                is healed it stops for the group.  I wanted to
                ask you guys what you think.  So if A is hurt 5
                and B 8.  The spell ends at A being healed and
                leaves 5 for B.   This makes it a bit more rougher
                for group healing.  What do you guys think?

          GM: Arawn - See Email.  Private room fee paid.  How much
                feathers/hair of hippogriffs?

              Kiet - Private room fee paid.   Paid 1 CC for the
                new rations as requested.  Feathers/Tail noted on sheet.

              Z'leyra - Paid for Barn/Inn for all but Kiet/Arawn.  Paid
                 for Kitchen Stove rent and warm clothing/bedding (1 SC).

              Unali - Paid for more grain (2 CC).  Got enough rations
                for the probably the rest of the trip.

          GM: Second Leg of Travel Malnon to Thaliba City.

                Location/Terrain       Miles       Day
                Malnon City              -    Nov 22     -
                West - Plains           60    Nov 23-24  1-2
                Roadside Inn             -    Nov 24     2
                West - Forest          100    Nov 25-30  3-7
                West - Plains           20    Dec  1     8
                Roadside Inn                  Dec  1 2pm?
                West - Forest           80    Dec  2-3   9-10
                West - Plains           20    Dec  3-4  10-11
                Thaliba City                  Dec  5 10am?
                              Total    280