[pnpgm] Game Update #101 - File # 397 - Secrets Shared

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 03:00:17 CEST 2014

   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
   R1.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.J H Hooten........YN..Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human....Ma
   W4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R1 John.Stowman......YN..Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
   -- Npc...............YY..Etain.............Teacher.Normal/Elf......Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell, Wolf - Will

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #101 in sequence (file #397)

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea looks over the documents for a few extra minutes,
          then starts to gather everything up. "We should get these...
        GM: Ack.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra figures that having Kiet inside would be good before
          going up into the attic. She quietly checks on the guard then
          makes her way to the side window to wave Kiet towards the back
          here she will unlock and quietly open the back door to let Kiet
          in. Talking in a low voice she will explain what she found thus
          far then lead Kiet to the attic entrance.

          In checking out the attic she will first listen then pop her
          head up and back down to see if anyone is up there and only
          then climb up slowly when she sees no one. Since the enhanced
          amber lets her see clearly in non-magical darkness she won't
          need a light source while cautiously exploring the attic.

          [Sepes 29th, 1634TH]
          [Location: City of Samma, Donara]

          [Fremea/Raban group]
          [Time: 10:26:18 am - Samma city, Donara]

            Fremea looks over the documents for a few extra minutes,
          then starts to gather everything up. "We should get these back
          to the others. And ... we need to have fun with Grosis." That
          last statement she smiled.

            She asks the guard how many women and children he has hurt
          personally (that the guard knows of). There will be a punishment
          for each one.

            Exiting the small hovel Fremea moves toward the guard.  Thinking
          her questions.  Raban is the last to leave and doss one last look
          at the home.  He doesn't bother to lock up..  Just slowly closed
          the door but not completely.

            The guard continues to look with a blank stare.  "I do not
          know his lifetime average.  I only came to him as a hire about
          four months ago.  But I have heard rumors that in the past he
          has treated about 50-60 women.  Women being range from 14 to
          44.  The old hags tend to be indentured or given away.  But
          I've seen him only deal with three women in my job with him.
          As to children he has a fondness for girls around 15-16 .  He
          has a bit of a reputation on breaking them."

            "Once girl recently was a trouble girl a noble had.  A servant
          that came to him years before.  The girl would steal and set fires.
          Well a week with him, she was very docile and from what I hear
          flexible in bed.  The servant girl never stole or was a bit
          of trouble after that.  I've seen maybe 5-6 kids come and go either
          under short term lease or service for a short while."

            As they walk Fremea grits her teeth.  She flexes her fingers
          on the hilt of her hidden dagger beneath her dress.  She would just
          love to gut this man bot laughing at these words.  But he is a bit
          of a use for now.

            The guard continues.  "After his fall in the trade he has
          not been as active.  The others may hire him to train or teach
          the slaves.  But he does not capture or obtain them anymore."

            As Raban rounds a few streets he sees a beggar.  He tosses the
          man a coin and then leans to him.  "I'm leaving a house I don't
          want.  You are free to take anything from it.  Just be quick
          about it."  He then gives directions to the home he just left.
          Hopefully it will be cleared out in quick order aside from the
          heavy furniture.

          [Time: 10:33:31 am - Samma city, Donara]

                         ------------

          [Kell/Unali's group]
          [Time: 10:33:35 am - Samma city, Donara]

            While Unali waits for Kell to return she continues the same
          questions to Mavac.  Repeating them over and over with higher
          pitch and tone.  Aren's palace spies say this can beat down
          most men.  They will tend to slip up and stumble with words
          giving a opening for the interrogator to insert new leads.

            Unali drones on with the same questions while Kell is away,
          focussing more and more on where the profits of the organization
          are stashed.

            As he quipped to be rich enough to buy her, she responds to
          that "So you have enough wealth to buy me off. Prove it. "

            Mavac smiles and his newly found eye bruise from her beating
          wrinkles.  "I seem to be missing some coins on me."  He glances
          down at his naked body.  "You really think I keep my stuff
          at a home?  I'm not stupid.  I'm not some thief or poor slob
          who keeps his money under the mattress.  I've been in the
          city guard enough to see homes robbed left and right.  To
          prove it you are welcome to my place."  He gives his address.
          Then adds some directions.  "Key should be in those pants there."

            Unali checks an sure enough there are at least 15 keys.  Being
          a guard for the city he is bound to have some stack of keys.
          Probably a store or a garrison thing.  "The silver one with
          the brown stripe.  That one.  Be my guest.  Enjoy the rum.  I
          get it from Xan monthly."  Then he becomes serious.

            "My stuff is all you want?  You're just a common thief?  No
          better than the scum I arrest daily."  He shakes his head.
          "My stuff is with a friend of mine.  He is a moneylender.  Do
          you think I wouldn't keep my stuff in a secure place?"  He
          smiles and leans back on the pole he is leaning on and closes
          his head.  "You won't get to the stuff.  Quit now.  Let me
          go and I'll see about hiring you.  Better than my friends coming
          to hunt you down."

          [Time: 10:45:10 am - Samma city, Donara]

                                 ---------------

          [Kiet/Z'leyra/Etain's group]
          [Time: 9:34:20 am - Samma city, Donara]

            Z'leyra figures that having Kiet inside would be good before
          going up into the attic. She quietly checks on the guard then
          makes her way to the side window to wave Kiet towards the back
          here she will unlock and quietly open the back door to let Kiet
          in. Talking in a low voice she will explain what she found thus
          far then lead Kiet to the attic entrance.

            In checking out the attic she will first listen then pop her
          head up and back down to see if anyone is up there and only  then
          climb up slowly when she sees no one. Since the enhanced amber
          lets her see clearly in non-magical darkness she won't need a
          light source while cautiously exploring the attic.

            Z'leyra checks the front window and peers at the guard at the
          gate some 50 feet to the east.  But the man is still motionless
          and staring eastward.  The guard probably has at least 4 but
          probably 8 hours before shift change.  Plenty of time inside.  If
          he was to be on patrol he hasn't moved yet since they got there.

            Moving to the south window the Shaman tries to get Kiet's
attention.
          From this angle she can't see him in the bushes.  It takes almost
          a full two minutes before a finger is shown between the shrub edge
          indicating Kiet is aware.  If only Kiet knew sign language.  She
          tries to motion and mimic gestures.

            From the tall shrub Kiet watches the crazed Shaman waving and
          gesturing.  Doesn't seem to be urgent.  But something about
          going to the back.  She points a few times at the window frame
          and then Kiet seems to get the gist that she maeans a door.  She
          expects him to go that way?  Then the shaman leaves the window
          and out of view.

            Kiet grumbles knowing this is high risk for him but not for her.
          But it seems she wants him inside.  If only he had a simple
          spell to go inside as quickly as she did  Kiet sees Corona
          on the roof looking around.  He could ask him if anyone around
          but he doesn't the language.

            Moving westward just outside of the shrub, can't move through
          it as its just too thick, Kiet keeps an eye out at the house
          nearby.  So far it seems empty at this time.  But he stares at
          the windows just the same.  He is in clear view if others see
          but so far so good.  At the south west edge of Bogan's property
          the shrubs divides from the property on the west and his.  It is
          a four way intersection of tall shrubs 6.5 feet tall.  To the
          west are two other properties west of the lot Kiet is on and the
          one due west of Bogan's place.  Kiet considers going through the
          shrub if he can to the west property then back to the property
          due west of Bogan's place.  But that coould mean he'd be seen
          by two houses.  Turning south he glances one last time at the
          house he is nearest to on the same lot.  No one there and this
          is the back of the house now.  There is a tree here in this
          corner 8 feet tall.  It has limbs right over the edge of the
          shrub into Bogan's property.  Kiet could use some of his
          magical  coins or spells to fly over but its only a 6.5 foot
          shrub that is at times 3-4 feet thick.  Seems  a waste of spells
          for just a simple barrier.

            The acrobat decides using some simple skills will b best.
          he starts to climb the tree and then as his body frame is
          small moves onto the limb over Bogan's property.  He then
          does a running leap and tumble.  His body flies over the
          shrub and then lands on the ground as he does a acrobatic
          somersault.  Getting to his feet he eyes the property.

            From this angle there are garden beds of flowers, a small
          stone fountain, bird feeders, outside chair and table.  A
          small gazebo is there with a swing but looks like it hasn't
          been kept up for years.  A small metal shed is in the north
          west corner.  But from the roof Corona eyes Kiet like he is
          a bit odd.  Clearly he is amused by the antics of these weird
          humans.  But from Bogan's place the back door is seen now
          and standing there is Z'leyra waving for him.

            Kiet checks his clothing and sees no cuts from the shrubs but
          just some minor scratches from the limbs.  He makes sure he
          has his gear and then moves toward the back door.  From the
          angle he can't see the guard at all.

            Entering the house Kiet sees that Z'leyra must've checked
          for traps and assumes she did.  As they move toward the stairs
          Z'leyra explains what she found.  Once upstairs Kiet can now
          see the ladder leading to the attic.  The ladder seems to be
          a well sophisticated piece of equipment. It is all wooden with
          metal hinges.  It seems to have unfolded from the roof with some
          mechanism on the ceiling above or in the wall.  The ladder looks
          to support a normal person but surely it wouldn't Raban.  She
          explains that the light fixture must've triggers the hatch.

            Both peer up into the darkness of the attic.  Z'leyra adjusts
          her nose guard on the helmet for her amber.  Then begins to
          climb the old ladder slowly.  There are 6 steps to the attic
          only wide enough for one person.  At the 4th stop Z'leyra
          hears a click and then looks up.  A glint of something moves
          quickly from the east rightward.  It hits Z'leyra's tall
          helmet and the force of the blow forces Z'leyra to lurch back
          and she loses her footing.  Z'leyra falls flat on her rear
          end and sees darkness.  A second later she realizes the darkness
          is her helmet moves over her eyes.  The entire helmet was shifted
          off her head behind her but the nose guard became a eye guard.
          She takes off her helmet and to check the damage.  Indeed the
          helmet took some damage.  Not enough to destroy it but enough
          to need repair later.  Kiet just stares as she gets to her
          feet glad it wasn't him going first.

            Z'leyra is glad she had the helmet on it might've saved
          her life.  If the hit was 4 or so inches later she would not
          have had a head or at least most of her skull gone.  Clibmbing
          up to step 3 she uses her staff to reach up.  The staff is
          tall so if anything is to trigger it will be done.  But
          as she waves the staff nothing happens.  Placing her staff
          back in her shoulder holster she climbs to step 5.  She
          peers cautiously over the edge.  It is indeed dark with no
          windows.  But there is no one here.  She glances left and
          sees a box set to a wall that must be the device that
          lets the ladder down.  From the box are two large strong
          looking bars that holds the ladder form the base of the
          attic to the ladder itself.  She figures maybe gears and
          such inside to lower and raise it.  These kind of devices
          are not rare but can be expensive to have.

            Kiet watches her climb and notices at the bottom of stepe
          4 is a different set of wire mesh.  Looking at it closer he
          can tell there is a small latch that unhooks or hooks.  It
          must be the "key" to stop the beheading device.

            Below the box that seems to hold the gears for the ladder
          which is maybe 2 feet by 3 feet is a circular blade like
          a scythe.  It is drawn now against the left western wall now
          touching the wall itself.  There is a pole on the side of it
          that Z'leyra figures must've been set and jettisoned out
          eastward by some wall mechanism.  So once the ladder lowers
          in place the scythe must be been quickly moved in place
          for the final cut to the head for any looters.  Clearly this
          man is paranoid but also clever.  If only Raban was here to
          help look around for other traps.  She reaches out to ensure
          the scythe is not double bladed and won't just jut out but it
          seems to be locked securely in the wall now.

            Z'leyra then steps up and onto the ceiling.  The floor
          boards creak but seems to be normal for age.  She looks
          around as Kiet slow ascends to the 4th step.  The room
          is full of dust, cobwebs and mold.  But it is pure black
          as not even a crack in walls let light in.  Only from the
          hatch does light spill in but only about 10% of the room
          from the brightness from second story windows.  The ceiling is
          full of rafters that are seen on every other home.  A mismatch
          cross section set of boards and support planks.  The
          amber helps but it can't see everything.  She can imagine
          there are spiders and cobwebs all in the rafters but she
          can't see that fine detail.

            The room itself is 8 by 8 feet.  The hatch to the second
          story is on the western center edge.  In the center of the
          room is a small hanging simple two candle holder for light
          but now is showing a unused single candle.  The walls are
          simple bricks.  To the north and south walls or to her
          left and right the walls have two things each.  They seem to
          be a item attached to the brick about 4 feet high.  The roof
          is 7 feet tall here which is very large for a normal house.  It
          almost makes it look like a third story but from outside it
          must be fashioned to look like a slanting storage area only.
          The wall item appears to be metal and juts out slightly. about
          a inch.  At the end of this is a simple circular thin piece
          of iron.  It doesn't take a Alfar's intelligence to know that
          the circle device must be used to hold something.  It doesn't
          take much to figure out that must be chains and that means
          slaves.  Maybe this is where the sick man comes for his
          fun and entertainment or just stores them here?  But there
          is no chains just the circular iron pieces.  There are two
          such wall attachments on the north, east and south walls.
          That means there could be 3 people for two arms or 6 people
          if one arm chained here.  Z'leyra glances back to the west
          wall where the box and scythe are but sees no such items are
          there.

            The room itself seems just moldy, dusty and rotten from
          old wood.  There does not seem to be a recent scent of sweat
          or blood from victims.  It must've faded away.

            But the other three items in the room is a simple wooden small
          chain to the left on the north wall.  The wooden chair looks for
          a small person but could never sit Raban.  To the east to the
          side of the chair is a small 2 x 2 foot table.  It is devoid
          of anything like drawers or anything on top.

            But the most evident thing is a large chest in the center of
          the room.  Kiet finally steps into the darkness and lets his
          eyes adjust.  He can't see the detail she can but the chest
          and chair is clearly seen.

            Kiet smiles that the chest must be a nice stash.  But the
          chest must be 4 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 4 feet thick.  Kiet
          glances at the hatch and does quick math.  That is not how
          the chest got here.  Maybe it was placed her during construction
          then the hatch?  But a person could not carry that thing up
          even Raban without some serious issues.

            Z'leyra stares at the floor and finds only simple wooden
          planks.  No lush carpet like downstairs.  She squats and checks
          the floor to find dust thick enough to indicate maybe a month
          or two since last used.

            Z'leyra moves toward the chest cautiously.  The chest itself
          looks like a sea chest used by merchant ships.  It is large
          and sturdy looking.  There is a large lock in the center of
          the front that Bogan must have on his corpse now if not burnt
          and melted.  The amber only shows a amber color to things so it
          is unclear but it looks to be maybe blue or black in color for
          the chest.  There are the typical side latches and hinges that
          show fine craftsmanship.  On top of the half hemisphere cover
          seems to be some stylish looking inset gems.  There is one due
          center on the top of the chest.  There are four in a X pattern
          around the center one in each top left, top right, bottom left
          and bottom right positions.  This is not so rare as some chests
          or personal keep sake style chests are decorated like this.

            Kiet lets his eyes adjust and stares at the chest savoring what
          must be inside.  He can see it is a chest but can't see the
          gems in this darkness as he gets alongside Z'leyra now only 3
          feet from the chest.  Kiet can see the glint of the metal lock
          on the front but only from the hatch brightness.

          [Time: 9:42:19 am - Samma city, Donara]

                               -----------------

          [Arawn group]
          [Time: 11:27:42 am - Samma city, Donara] - Arawn
            Arawn replies to Jordi about the Dark Elves.  "They're not
          myth, they're real. I've seen them with my own eyes. But perhaps
          it would be wise to remain uninvolved with this, for the sake of
          your family. It's something I can deal with on my own when the
          time comes. But when it does, knowing of someone knowledgeable
          and trustworthy among the court would be a boon. But only if
          you feel comfortable sharing such a name."

            Jordi almost jumps up eyes wide from the bed.  He begins to
          pace back and forth clearly showing confusion and worry from
          the elf to Arawn's senses.  "Real?  This is not good.  I've..
          we've all heard stories of them.  The scary ones in the forest
          who steal children who are bad."  He stops and looks at the
          window as if peering deep somewhere else.  "The council they
          must know this?  I'm one of the top ranking Elves in the
          society and they never told me.  I'm not a noble or council
          member but you'd think they'd tell me."  He stops and gets to
          the bed again.  He stares at Arawn, "should I quietly inquire
          about them?  The council always hinted that there were enemies
          out there which makes sith and kotothi forces look like human
          pet cats.  This is not good."  He shakes his head.

            Jordi considers his past words.  The Arawn shared a very
          deep secret to him and Jordi did not tell the full truth.
          he rubs his head and rustles his hair.  "Sorry.  I ...had
          to be sure.  To be down here like this you are either a
          imposter or person in some rare situation.  I had to be sure.
          I do know of this rose ritual to block the Gort effect.  But
          I was not sure if you might have been Varange's ally or not.
          but to share that secret....that Dark Elf stuff.  You are
          clearly who you are.  I regret hiding that from you."  He
          then tries to give full details of the rites he knows.  Then
          explains, "I was told not to share such rites.   It can lead
          to dire situations.  Only a strong willed person can try them.
          I was told by the council's personal herbalist that it can
          lead to insanity if the rite back fires.  I would to want that
          to be done to Fremea.   No.  There is no way to prevent this
          unless being strong willed and true at heart.  If she has the
          mark though her destiny may allow her to withstand such
          effects.  I would not try on other people."

            Arawn hears Jordi speak about Varange and considers the
          words and warnings.  "I too would prefer to turn the connection
          to our advantage. I've already discussed this with Fremea but it
          may take some time for her to develop the necessary discipline.
          Her emotions rule her far more than she might wish to admit.
          She's spent a life-time trying to suppress them but over time
          they grow. It's like a seawall holding back the ocean and when
          it collapses the devastation could be immense.  Far better for
          her to face these demons and learn to heal herself."

            "But I think your suggestion sound. If we can discover the
          triggers we might be able to mislead Varange. I'll discuss this
          with her once the group has reconvened."

            Jordi nods, "I may ..have an idea.  Downstairs in the meeting
          is one of our most powerful mental leaders.  He is a general for
          the south forest section. He would be the one to lead against
          Clima in the attack.  He is a bit...bland due to his will and
          mental prowess.  But his wife is like this and teaches other
          elves to use magic for this purpose..for mental purposes.  Together
          they may know ideas for you.  If you come to meet the others that
          is.  His wife is not here but she is just inside the forest
          edge not far from here."

            Jordi makes his comments about Etain the odd drunk.

            "Thank you though I was hoping for more. He claims to be
          watching out for Fremea but I feel he's holding something back.
          It makes it challenge to decide how far to trust him."

            Jordi considers this and for a few moments remains silent
          then nods.  "He came to the military center last night to help
          and save Fremea.  Based on the wound I noticed on his cheat
          something must've happened.  He came for her not for the
          large one and the one with the daggers.  The rumors seem
          solid that he was looking for something.  Most feel it was
          solace in drink.  One tends to drink due to regret or some
          torture in their life.   My guess he was looking for her
          once she left from this area.  He is the equivalnnt of me
          in the Faerry court.  A diplomat.  That means the council
          trusted him.  I myself don't know. But I think you of all
          people are the best judge of people."  he smiles and looks
          bad for lying to Arawn about the rituals.

            Arawn comments on the Avalon visit.  "I'll speak with Kaylle
          then. Thanks."

            "Never been to Avalon myself.  I was invited a couple of
          times.  Actually once when I went with your friends.  But
          I just never got around to it.  I hear it makes our home
          look shameful."

            Arawn asks about the An's'alum.  "How long would it take to
          reach the Council?"

            "Depends.  Most times only 3 council members are home at any
          one time.  The other 9 may be off at random places I the forest
          in their regions.  Sometimes half maybe home and sometimes more
          or less.  This time of year the forest is changing due to the
          coming winter.  I suspect to gather the full council it might
          take some time .  Maybe a week or two.  Depends on how fast
          a message can be delivered.  Depends on where the others are.
          But the head councilman is always there at home."

            Arawn then changes the subject a bit about him being in the
          middle world.  "You recognized me through my father yet had not
          received my letter," Arawn commented quizzically. "And you say
          you're shocked to see me here and speak of danger, something I
          believe to be true."

            "So then how do you know of me of and my lineage? What have
          you heard to hint of threat to me?"

            Jordi looks a bit sad. "Some letters get here and some don't
          I don't have great memory.  If I got your letter I'm amiss and
          regret it.  Just here I get 30-40 a day and with the meetings
          and such going on I have to send as many back.  It is
          a drawn out process that will take time.  Getting allies and
          support.  As to your danger....just being here so open to the
          forces against us."  He waves a hand but Arawn can figure out
          what he mans.  "Human...Kotothi...and such.  That is enough
          to worry one I'd think.  I don't know why you are here but
          I suspect there is a plan to it.  I believe the last Alfar
          to come here came through interworld connections.  Surely
          you can return home by these methods?  Or is it that simple
          and part of the destiny to deal with?"  He laughs.  "Sorry
          I hear destiny a lot among the Elves.  It is as common a word
          as food for humans.  Neva always says that fate is just a hand
          dealt by chance yet destiny is by will."

            Finally Arawn goes back to the first question on going into
          the meeting.

            "The danger will come regardless and though I have tried to
          maintain a low profile the adventures I have met since arriving
          here have likely broadcast my presence to some degree. Luckily
          our mutual companions are skilled and doughty and our allies
          powerful. Not that I wish to test either."

            "But to speak as a divine representative, that is something to
          ponder. I am more than happy to hear what there is and speak my
          thoughts but I must be careful when others might interpret my
          words as those of the Upper Realms. Give me a bit to pray on
          this for I would not wish to offend them, especially my father
          and mother."

            "And what can you tell me of the discussion I would sit in
          on? And what can you tell me about those present?"

            Jordi smiles faintly, "I meant not to stay for that long.
          The ..what to the humans call it..gist?  The gist is to
          take the Climans from the mainland.  The forth south of
          our forest.  Nothing more and then to keep them away.
          It would mean destroying or taking the fort.  The
          climans know the forest is so huge and populated that
          a Climan army would darn not enter.  But they do dare
          enter on the fringes.  Take what they want.  Mostly
          limber and resources.  We are simply making that the
          discussion.  We are asking nearby regional human allies
          and others for support in various ways.  The details
          are vast and it would take hours to explain.  But that
          is the gist of things.  You would not need to speak of
          specific things.  Maybe just a general blessing on the
          whole process and a prayer that we are victorious.  That
          may suggest divine support but it would be unclear to
          humans who you are. Unless you say who the Elves I could
          share that privately if need be and that alone would
          increase morale."  He then ends and waits for Arawn to
          react.

          [Time: 11:36:12 am - Samma city, Donara] - Arawn