[pnpgm] Game Update #104

J H sang_real at msn.com
Tue Jul 20 02:12:45 CEST 2010

   Healing- If anyone is looking for healing after we leave the fair-ground Arawn is willing to cast Healing Mist as an area effect towards healing. This can be on any of the following days. Just let me know if you're interested so I can alert Scott.

   Equipment pickup and movement-

   "Ha'Kell's plans for two groups has merit and I also agree that we should hold on gathering our magical items for the time being.

   As for plans to head into the mountains, perhaps we might not want be overly hasty in deciding to pass Pamau. We need as much intelligence as possible before rushing into the mountains. It's an entire range, Shu's map only a rough guide. It may end up taking more time scouring the peaks for the Vong base then it would if we had a clearer set of of clues gathered from the Vong's human contacts.

   We might also gain knowledge of numbers, defenses, other gates or bases, human agents, and such that might help us succeed with this mission. And if outside help is desired they'll likely need this information. Such information is also more likely to be extracted from human agents than the pain-loving Vong warriors."

   Arawn listened as some discussed issues of morality, a very quiet smile on his face at Raban's thoughtful words. When Arawn finally spoke he made sure to do so in a neutral tone to allow others to know that he was neither targetting anyone with his response nor attempting an arguement or debate, simply a sharing of his thoughts.

   "Katai's fear of magic goes back to the Black Heresy, when dark mages, who later founded L'p'nth, caused great suffering and chaos across the land. So great it left its imprint on the peoples of this nation ever since," he said, recalling what he had read in the history books while at sea.

   "There are a lot of similarities between Katai and the Vong world. Both were threatened and suffered at the hands of others, creating a fear and resentment that has led to hatred and the suffering of countless others over time. They started out just as any of us, like anyone else in the world, innocents that suffered. Unfortunately because they never rose past the fear and pain they got caught up in destroying their monsters, never realizing that in the process they succeeded only in replacing them."

   However, I can understand defending oneself. Self-preservation, is not a bad thing but I think Raban has a point. Killing when there are other options could justify the fears of the people. Or create true hatred from something less- the naive apathetic or superstitious, rising to anger and hate from pain at the loss of a loved one. A hate that could lead to the harm of another innocent victim.

   Our actions can have a far-reaching impact. Just as violence and hate can beget something unpleasant so too can mercy and compassion plant a seed, as with the groundskeeper and his family. His eyes have been further opened and he and his family could be the start of support for change. If, however, they were to see our actions as cruel or harsh, even if not directed at them but toward others, that support could change to fear, reinforcing the old prejudices and beliefs. Perhaps even such as the bounty hunters may one day change their views, if they ever reflect on the fact that their lives were spared by those they feared and sought to capture. It is compassion and mercy that sets us apart from those who bring suffering upon others."

   He grew quiet for a moment, a thoughtful look on his face before continuing.

   "I think, if one wrongs us it would be ideal to forgive them, for our own sake as well as theirs and for that of helping to shape a better world, though it can be understandably hard. When I see an atrocity I often think to myself-

   'What motivated them to do what they did?'- Was it out of cruelty or anger? desperation? justice? or from pain and a desire to avenge?

   And if I were in their shoes would I have done the same as them?

   I also ask myself, if I did strike out at them when they were helpless or when a more humane option was available, would their friends and family be justified in killing me?

   In my lack of mercy have I caused suffering to an innocent connected to them just as might have been done to me?- perhaps a kind-hearted friend, a brother, a mother, perhaps even a small and innocent child that called them father or mother- maybe planting the seeds to turn a hurt child into a monster someday, intent on revenge or just cruel from their sudden loss and lack of a loving parent, that brings pain to others and continues the cycle of suffering in this world, actions that lead to these problems in the first place.

   The patterns of violence need to stop but I believe it will not happen by repeating them. If people continue to justify violence, suffering and hate by actions taken, if the pattern is continued, and if this is the kind of world that people want to live in I can't imagine it would be a world worth fighting for or living in."