[pnpgm] Game Update #141 - File #1000 - Burnt flesh in the morning

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Thu Dec 30 18:49:40 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #141 in sequence (file #1000)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <I am rebuilding my computer due to harddrive/windows corruption
          so I may have problems keeping up on the game for a few days. I
          think I have email operational with all archives restored. It was
          fun convincing the computer it could even install the 'original'
          copy of Windows XP on a 500G SATA drive.  I had to create a new
          installer slipstreamed to SP2 so it could install on Sata and see
          all the drive. Now I just need to rediscover all the software I
          need...

          <I will try to read the story and see if there is any posts
          needed by Raban
        GM: Ack. Good luck.  I've actually had my computer for 10 years.
            I've been trying for 3-4 years to get off my butt to get
            a new one.  But time and other issues prevent that.  Just
            when I get ready something comes up and I get sidelined.
            Its worked for a decade for me so its not mandatory but
            just need a new one.  But $$ won't be a issue just the
            time to get it all done.  May get a custom job.  Now
            to get motivated to go shopping....

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Still here...just not much to say.

          Kiet is annoyed that Zep is dead, but that is how reputations can
          be made.  Such a reputation that prisoners don't survive might
          make his extracting infrmation that much easier.  Of course,
          should an enemy know who he is fighting it might make them
          unwilling to give up.

          "Zep's death was an accident...and a stupid one at that.

          Kiet returns the warstaff.

          After Unali tosses Kiet the bag he gets a grin on his face.
          Finally!  Something tangible.  Kiet just wants this to be over
          so he can go  back to improving his magical skills.  He has been
          quite disciplined  about his magic use and hopes that the HE will
          have noticed.  Emergency use, yes...even to saving Zhou from one
          of those flying thingys. Eventually Kiet needs to learn a real
          weapon, not just this dagger and javelins, but that will come
          later.  And learn how to ride these blasted horse beasts.  Wagons
          are too restrictive.

          "I think Shu's magic is more trustworthy than is information...
          ----------
          "It was dark."
        GM: Ack. To be honest Zep wasn't meant to die.  Just bad roll of
            the dice. There was a chance he could and the dice just
            ended up that way.  Sorry.  Nothing personal.  He was
            to live technically.  The messenger would've fled as well
            but the luck of the player dice didn't help him with the
            amount of damage he took.  Just how the fates work.

        From Will: [Re: Actions]
          Will shakes his head in mock dismay... "I said watch him"

          "Dark tell me about it... I'm just glad my gonads are ....
          --------
          I have had some problems recently too.  I think I'm going to
          try a dual boot with a Linux variant like Ubuntu and then see if
          I can recover the data from my old OS.
          Back to the game.

          Will when he has a chance to speak to Arawan being careful that
          casual listeners won't be able to follow the conversation will
          ask him.

          "I seem to recall that you had mentioned something about ...

         [Augado 6th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]
         [          South-East section of City, Noble Tavern/Inn]

         [Time: 12:02am]

           Those who remain awake discuss the benefits of their recon
         mission and the information gained from the documents.

           Kiet glances at the map of possible Peace Brigade locations
         then considers a fallen comrade. "I think Shu's magic is more
         trustworthy than is information given by the enemy to humans.  I
         say we try that area."

           Zhou glances at the map and sees it is a huge Empire indeed.
         "I agree.  We could spend years going to each place even with
         jumping around fast.  There must be at least 2-300 places on
         this map.  I feel Shu's skills were more reliable.  We could
         also spend weeks in the mountains.  We know the Vong have to
         be cluttered around this area."  Zhou places a hand to the west
         of Pamau in the mountains south of Shantou province just between
         Shantou and Pamau.  He circles a region reminding the party of
         Shu's map.  "This is about 100 square miles.  This-", he waves
         a hand to the pile of documents, "doesn't help to round down
         the location.  But maybe the shack will have some info we can use."

           Kiet simmers in a semi-foul mood as he remembers Zep's
         doubt.  It was so senseless.  Yet the man likely deserved it.
         Plus it might've benefited him.  If the man's family had been
         caught as a pawn with the gang they would have paid for his
         debts and crimes.  Kiet breaks the silence when the conversation
         dies down a bit.  "Zep's death was an accident... and a stupid one
         at that.  It's not a surprise that he was into the gang for so
         much gold."

           Farseeker crosses his arms.  "I've seen stupid mistakes by
         fools and idiots.  You can't control how the fates choose to
         cut the Cord of Life.  I've seen a one legged beggar enter
         a hovel only to be killed when his cooking pot exploded and
         burnt him so bad just when his luck turned around and he
         got a decent job to quit begging.  I've seen kids get engaged
         and go out to celebrate only to die from bad ale poisoning
         and such .  I've also known a brave and fierce fighter friend
         who lived through a massive battle against 30 barbarian brutes
         with me and several others.  He lives with not even a cut
         or bruise.  Only to go relieve himself in the bush and get
         stung by a poisonous snake and die.  Fate...luck...I've learned
         that we have no say so live the day!" He picks up his mug of
         ale and raises it in a salute.

           Ben'dar who has been quiet for days raises his own mug in
         salute.  Finally something he can do rather than this boring
         talk of tavern business and business operations.

           Will glances over at Kiet and with a sly grin shakes his head
         in mock dismay. "I said watch him."

           Kiet exhales heavily, "It was dark."

           Will squirms in his seat as if adjusting something not
         seen below the table line. "Dark tell me about it... I'm just
         glad my gonads are still attached."

           Kiet can't help but bare a smile and glances around the table
         and tavern.  Kiet is proud of himself and his restraint on not
         using magic this trip.  Compared to others who use it like
         some drink ale as if it's water.  He suspects that the High
         Elder is aware and hopes the test to come will not be his
         own but how the Elder views him.  Maybe the greatest wizard
         known to man might even reward him.  Kiet realizes things
         are slowly starting to unravel.  Soon the party will be so
         desperate for their magic items they'll fetch them.  Kiet
         knows in the inevitable battle to come the beacon of magic
         will be so bright a blind bounty hunter might find the group.
         So he knows that the party will have to act swift and then
         move on.  But with this group they like to linger and plunder
         for their own self interest as well to gain knowledge.

           Just then as if reading Kiet's mind, Will leans close to
         Arawn and speaks softly.  "I seem to recall that you had mentioned
         something about being able to speak to the dearly departed....
         Back there I was thinking about bringing someone along for you
         to talk to....The problem was... the only person to hand probably
         didn't have that much to say so it didn't seem worth the trouble
         ....Next time maybe I'll be luckier.... (scanning to make sure no
         one outside the party can overhear) To practice your talent what
         do you need would a talking head do?"

           Arawn glances up from studying the map of possible Brigade
         bases and business operations.  Arawn can't recall if Will
         was around when Arawn tried to talk to the dead spirits on
         the Humagi plains?  Arawn also does a brief glances at Farseeker
         and some others.  He recalls how they acted on talking to the
         dead.  How they thought it was Chaotic nature that of a creepy
         necromancer.  Clearly the art of speaking to the dead isn't
         for everyone.

                                ----------------

         [Augado 6th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]
         [          North-west of city, few miles outside near river]

         [Time: 5:40am]

           As the human goes on the ground the sparkling bug like
         objects seem to swarm him.  There are maybe only a dozen
         it seems but as they hover and dive they flare up.  Soon
         his tunic and pants are smoldering and soon part of his
         right sleeve is in flames.  The sparkling bugs as they seem
         to flare up disappear.  The man tries to flail and wave his
         arm to get the fire out.

           From the distance the Vong is seen to glance at the shack
         which is also starting to catch on fire.  The front half
         left side about 1/3rd of the front side is starting to flare
         and smolder in yellow-orange fire.  Soon the shack could
         be completely engulfed in minutes since the shack is pure wood.

           The Vong simply turns and heads back to the Flyer.  As he
         walks a bark is heard in the distance.  A bark that sounds
         like another Vong, likely from inside the Flyer, is heard
         very faintly.  The first Vong turns and scans the darkness.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Monday...

         GM: Wish everyone a great new years!  See you next year!

         GM: Will wait for more posts.  Still good point to stop.
             A mini map is below with a rough idea of the area.
             This is file #1000! :) Wow.

Scale = 1 Row = 4 feet      [Map - 200'x68' roughly]
        1 Column = 4 feet
        /|\ = North

         1         2         3         4         5
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

A                                                 A
B              River /|\     ++++++               B
C                     ______     +     ++      +  C
D                ++   IS   I      +            +  D
E              ++     IH   I       ++ ++     + +  E
F            ++  ++   Ia   I                  +   F
G            ++       Ic   I      ++++++     ++++ G
H         ++    ++    Ik_/_I        +   ++     ++ H
I                                    +   +    ++  I
J         +++   @@@       +++     + +++ +      ++ J
K                   V H            +   +++        K
L        ++++               +                  +++L
M        +   ++++                   +   +         M
N                ++++++    +   ++    + + +++  +  ++
O       +++++++   +               +++   ++++      O
P                                   ++   ++  +  ++P
Q                                  ++++  ++       Q
R                                                 R

  @@@ = Vong Flyer facing east on ground now
  V = Visible Vong few feet from Flyer near Human
  H = Human on ground on back
  + = Tree/Bush cluster
  / = Door to shack

  Party is on Column 51 rows H-K roughly on that tree line.

  Notes:
    Shack - All wooden. East and Front side are one window each.
    These windows are wooden with 4 panes divided by a Cross like
    bar section so 4 quadrants of small hand sized panes.  They
    seem to be standard Katai hovel style open outward from inside.
    Door is wooden.  Top is flat but looks flimsy.  Shack is catching
    on fire.

    Vong Flyer: Facing east on ground.  Its antler like fire tubes
    are facing east but don't seem to be active.

    Vong warrior: Only Vong seen is wearing it seems full armor but
    not disguised it seems.  He is in full Vong form with the Vong
    head and body.  He holds a amphistaff with one hand.

    Human on ground: Looks youthful from this distance.  Some of
    his clothes is on fire.  Can't tell what he might have on him.

    Tree/Bushes: Trees here are thin and short.  Fremea might be
    able to hide among them but Raban would be like having a tank
    hide behind a street pole.  Little cover for large folks.  But
    some for normal/average folks.  Most are thin branched and
    short about 30 feet.  Bushes tend to be thick and can provide
    some cover as thick as a barrel in some places and as tall.

    Light: Stars out in a mostly clear sky.  Daylight in couple
    more hours.  Fire from shack, human's clothing and the orange
    inside light of the Flyer only seen.  Shack is dark it seems.
    Sunrise in maybe an hour.

    Party is off map not shown exact positions.

    This is only a rough map for now.

    River: Is about 75 feet north of the shack.  The river itself
    in this section is about 60-80 feet wide and about 30-40
    deep in this area it looks like based on the speed of the
    water moving.

    Party is about 100 feet from the Vong/shack.

Remember if map meses up in email (likely) see website.