[pnpgm] Game Update #136 - File #982 - Breaking and Entering

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Mon Dec 6 21:05:59 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #136 in sequence (file #982)

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          Kell thanks Tor, the man that helped him, and buys the next
          round. [Goal - make a friend of Tor, he helped Kell in a tight
          spot, and Kell
          likes to help people who help him.]
          He hangs around gambling and listening, even getting up one time
          to use the bathroom, when/if it appears he can learn more.  He'll
          discuss this tavern with Tor as much as possible, learning all he
          can.

          Assuming not much else happens, he'll leave with Tor.

          When they leave, Kell assumes he is followed, checking often and
          taking a very winding route out of this area.  If he can spot Will
          or Kiet, he'll signal that he is ok, and that he may be followed.

          [Dang this is a sparse response.  Sad, really.  Scott, beef it up
          please :)    Now to work on "that other game". ]
        GM: Ack.  I don't do dialogue for PCs for players.  It is just
            something I tend to avoid speaking for players.  But I may
            do generic actions and paraphrasing.  So I may not be able
            to add much to the above.

         [Augado 5th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]

         [Time: 10:38pm]

           After a few seconds Fremea exhales.  It seems the people who
         left may not return so fast.  She quietly exits from under the
         desk and begins to scan the room.  She leaves the window open
         for a quick exit.  But she wonders if it is good to lock the door
         as that would draw some attention if they tried to get in rather
         than letting them in and dealing with them later.

           Fremea sits in the nice cushioned chair and is swamped in it since
         it is obviously made for a large man, even a Katai physique.  She
         begins to check the drawers.  The top wide side drawer has all the
         typical things a business would have.  There are forms, receipts,
         individual ledgers, inventory sheets, Shipping times among the many
         other non important mundane documents.

           While Fremea speaks Katai while she can't read the language. She
         wishes Unali was here to read the documents.  While she can't
         read it she can surmise the documents from the style.  Lines of
         text with what looks like numbers.  Since she has been in Katai
         for several weeks she has seen those numbers.  So it must be easy
         to figure out what a ledger or supply sheet looks like.  But Fremea
         can't read the details so has no clue if it is important or not.

           To the right side of the desk there are three drawers and all are
         unlocked.  Searching the first there are more documents that look
         to be in random disorganized piles.  the second drawer has a few
         smaller scrolls.  But there is a smoke stick in the drawer and
         some pipe made of what looks like white ebony or white wood.  It
         is a nice pipe but smells bad from the smoking.  Besides the pipe
         there is a small squat glass container with a white fine powder
         in it.  Not wanting to sniff the powder she raises it to the
         light to inspect it.  It isn't salt or sugar but something else.
         She opens the glass lid to sniff the air around it and it smells
         like a tangy fruit.  It smells a bit like a drug of some sort.
         She places the powder back into the drawer.

           Checking the third she finds small ledgers that look like
         a girl's diary in size.  More notes and more statistical style
         lists and numbers are inside.  Likely they are business oriented
         from invetory to gambling debts.  But she can't be sure.

           On top of the desk is the usual things a desk might have including
         a couple of candles burning in a nice silver tray, ink and quills.
         A calendar pad with various notes on it likely appointments of the
         past and future.  A large ledger about 3 feet wide folds out like
         a large book a city hall library might have of tax payers.  Opening
         it she finds more lists and numbers.  Fremea figures if it is in
         the open it must be a simple business ledger.

           Standing she heads to the table to inspect it.  There is another
         set of candles with a small map of what looks like Pamau.  There
         are certain marks on the map and symbols.  She isn't sure what
         they mean but could be dreams of conquest for more territory or
         just where to find ale sellers.

           Fremea goes to the bookcase and begins to scan the books and
         large scrolls there.  Again she can't read the titles of the books
         but she finds a wide assortment of book cover colors and various
         rates of age of the scrolls.  She grumbles under her breath that
         she can't read anything.  She then scans the walls to see no
         pictures of any kind.  So what is valuable and what is a simple
         request for more beer?  If only Raban was here he could maybe
         find some secret areas.

           Will heads south to meet with Kiet with Zep on his back.  Once
         he gets there he scans the darkness south.  It is hard to see 5
         feet in front of you much less 30 or 40.  Even with well adjusted
         eyes for the darkness both men can't see far.  Which also makes
         seeing for sentries difficult so that is a plus.  The starlight
         is a nice overhang but a moon might help if there was one.

           Will says to Kiet, "maybe we could climb in a window and hide in
         here for a while."  He nods to the right at the furniture factory
         windows which are very tall almost floor to ceiling. "It may have
         something to help get there attention if that becomes necessary.
         Some paint or lacquer doused on a nice dry shutter like I saw
         across the street may just do the trick."

           Kiet nods and wonders about that.  Going outside in an empty
         alley is one thing but going inside a building with tools,
         sharp things and objects you can't see could be dangerous.  Might
         as well send a blind man into a china and glass shop and hope he
         makes it across the room alive.

           Will hefts Zep down onto the ground with a splat then goes to
         start checking the windows.  There would surely be paint and
         other things like nails to use from this place.  but seeing
         and finding those things without noise would be interesting.

           Unali paces the hallway deciding how best to go.  If she
         takes out the guard to check that room how long before the
         two return?  They could understand him leaving a post for
         a break or to relieve himself but not if he is down in the
         hallway or gone for long.  Then there is that room the two
         had to have come from on the other side of the hallway.
         is that room empty and does it have something important?

           Behind her to the south wall are a couple of windows looking
         out into the front south area of the tavern.  She glances through
         brown curtains and notices a horse idling about.  Either a horse
         or a large monster of some kind, likely a horse she figures.
         She glances to the left toward the south east to see if she can
         see Will, Kiet and Kell but doesn't seem them in this darkness.

           Unali knows time is running out before some of the others do
         something stupid like knocking on the front door.  She hopes
         they have a better idea than that.  it is one thing to be
         stealthy but another to be overt and foolhardy.

           Unali twirls her dagger in her fingers as she considers her
         options on what to do next.

           Downstairs, Kell takes the free time to scan the gamblers and
         guests.  He quickly thanks Tor for his help but tries to figure
         out who is who in this place.  Most of the gamblers are low
         class based on their clothing.  There are a couple of better
         dressed ones but they are playing cards like well seasoned pros
         it seems.  The average age is about 25 it seems but there are
         some in their 40s in here.  The two card pro looking ones who
         must be merchants or such are in their 40s so their age probably
         gives them that experience.

           Tor simply nods to the gratitude and shuffles the cards in
         his fingers.  Kell watches the bar which is busy with most
         of the stools occupied by young men.  There are a maybe 3 girls
         in the place but they appear to be tag-alongs rather than actual
         gamblers.  Most the girls are near men who are either eating or
         playing.  The other girls are young below age 19 maybe even as
         young as 16 who serve the drinks and based on their skimpy clothing
         may do other things.

           Kell turn to Tor and offers to play a small round of cards.
         As the two begin the game Kell tries to learn more of the place.

           Tor glances at Kell but maintains his eyes on the crowd as if
         more interested in others than the game.  Kell finds that a
         bit of a odd thing.  Finally Tor shakes his head.  "I don't know
         much about the place.  I've only been here a few times.  They
         have decent ale and at times on the weekends can hold a decent
         game of cards.  But this crowd looks more like the normal rabble
         this place gets."

           "I've heard the second floor has rooms for guests.  Probably
         rooms for various activities or overnight stay.  I also heard
         the second floor has a couple of drug rooms."  He places down
         a losing hand and starts to reshuffle some cards.  Glancing
         at Kell's eyes for the first time. "Of course I don't do that
         sort of thing so don't know.  Not many such places for that
         sort of thing in town.  So it draws the rabble, dangerous and
         pathetic."

           "I don't know what your game is but it isn't this."  Tor
         nods to the cards.  "You are too distracted.  You almost
         remind me of one casing a joint to rob it.  But this place
         has a few guards and is open all hours.  I have no clue
         where they stash the cash.  Your friends over there who treated
         you so nicely are right.  This place doesn't just get those
         to walk in.  It tends to be word of mouth or invite only.  So
         I don't know how you found this place but if you are seeking
         some angle here be careful."

           Kell considers going to the bathroom but Tor explains the
         place only has the outhouse out back.  That wouldn't do
         much good since the bouncer might not even let him leave
         without paying his fee.  Going in the back could be interesting
         but it looks well guarded not only by the busy barkeeps but
         the bouncer and watched by the bar goers.  It would be very
         difficult to just walk back there unless you act like you own
         the place which you don't.

           Not unless you walk like that man now approaching from the
         back.  Now that guy looks like he owns the place.  The tall
         man, even for a Katai, looks strong and in his 30s.  He seems
         to be talking to a younger man at his side.  From the body
         language it seems like he isn't a customer or a disgruntled
         drug user.  No.  Indeed he looks to be an employee here or
         at the very least a manager?

           Kell uses this chance to leave the table with the excuse he
         needs to get change.  He heads to the bar with the Club man
         still watching him from the bar.  As he passes the bouncer
         at the front door Kell gives that sly grin of his.  But the
         man only returns a frown.

           Kell purposely reaches the bar near the newcomers from the
         back area.  The barkeep comes over and Kell orders a ale. Kell
         slips a gold coin on the bar and waits for change.  AS he does
         he glances around at the people but tries to watch the newcomers.
         Kell strains to try to listen to the conversation.

           "...If they come they can't just take the whole place down.
         Not this large of a place."  The older man says.

           "Maybe you should still head to your home until we know things
         are good here."  The young man says.

           "I don't know.  It is early.  Maybe I should just head you
         to see if we can track down our missing friend."  Older man
         glances to the crowd to assess the night's income.

           The young man glances and finds the messenger.  "The messenger
         has a horse I could use it..."  The young man replies.

           "What do you want to eat?"

           Kell loses his concentration on the conversation and turns to
         the barkeep. Kell realizes he could order food but doesn't know
         how long he'll be here.  The barkeep a man in his early 20s
         rubs a empty glass with a towel and stares at Kell for a reply.

           Kell grabs the ale and pockets the numerous coins from the
         ale into his coin bag.  Now he could afford to pay the fee and
         leave without a skull bashing.

         [Time: 10:40pm]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: A short update only a 200 lines or so. These type of things
             is hard to deal with on the amount of stuff I get back. I
             don't tend to move ahead much unless I have enough actions
             to go on.  Unless folks say it is ok to move forward I tend
             to be slow and reactive.  I rather be reactive than proactive
             and do something that a player would regret or simply not
             do in character.  I tried to do as much as I can with a couple
             mines of real time.  I had hopes to actually end the adventure
             by end of the year but that won't happen now.  I actually never
             had this entire tavern thing planned.  it was a sideline item
             in the overall situation.  but since folks wanted to
             investigate I am doing it.  Which is fine for me.  The next
             event the shed will be sped up much faster as I've planned to
             change things dramatically there. :)  I know the other guys
             are bored now waiting for this to be done.  But it depends
             on how it goes in the next few updates.  I could add in
             something for the Inn folks like a raid or a sudden attack but
             would bog things down further if this gets done fast.  So
             bear with us while we hash this out.  But think of it as a
             mini-vacation. :)

         GM: John H/Arawn - Got a bounced email about photos you want to
             share with me/us? :)  This happened before but thought
             you wanted to know it did it again.

         GM: John S/Will - I forgot you CCed Kiet that email.  So my
             reply was to you.  Thanks for sending the quoted part to
             him.  I hope the email answered questions on things.  I'm
             lazy so tend to avoid repeating things like descriptions.
             Repeating means work and work is evil!

         GM: No map changes below for now.  Will work on update Thursday
             night when I can depending on time.  May get some of it
             done Wednesday if time allows and posts come in.

         GM: See map for changes and notes on current positions.

 * Roof/Aerial view

   Scale = 1 Row    = 10 feet  [Roof - 200'x100']
           1 Column =  4 feet
   North /I\

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ____________________/______________________________     _____B
U I      I                                                 I     I B  C
nBI      I       [X]                                       I     I u  D
kuI      I     Roof Hatch                                  I     I t  E
niI      I                                                 I     I c  F
olI      I                                                 I     I h  G
wdI      I                     Tavern                      I     I e  H
niI      I                  PB Base [ 3 stories]           I     I r  I
 nI      I                                                 I     I    J
 gI      I                                                 I     I    K
__I      I_____________________/___________________________I     I____L
Street --->                                                          N
___      ___________________________________________________     _____P
BAI      I [2 stories]          Rear of place              IX    I BB Q
  I      I           manufacturing/Industrial Factory      I     I    R

 BA/BB = Unknown small shops [Rear]
 All other buildings around are 2 stories.
 Roof of PB base is empty aside from roof hatch and some minor vents
 and chimney areas.

 Front door - J32, Back Door - B30 [First floor but noted on top level
 for reference point)

  X  Q61 Kiet and Will.

 * Third Floor

   Scale = 1 Row    = 10 feet  [Roof - 200'x100']
           1 Column =  4 feet
   North /I\

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ___________________________________________________     _____B
U I      Ioo  @@I     I        I                           |     I B  C
nBI      |o    @I     I        I                           I     I u  D
kuI      Io    @I     I        I                           |     I t  E
niI      Io    @I__/__I        I____/_____I  I__           I     I c  F
olI      |@    @I     I______/_I             ______________I     I h  G
wdI      I@    @I ___/________ _____G/_____  I  ```  [====]I     I e  H
niI      |___/__I I          I I          I  I     *       |     I r  I
 nI      I________I          I I          I  /        #*   |     I    J
 gI      |                   IUI__________I  I $$$ *  #F   |     I    K
__I      I___________________I_______________I___________@@I     I____L

  Legend
    I or _ = Wall       / = Door   . or | = Window
    $      = Table      # = Desk   *      = Chair
                        @ = Cabinet [Storage, water, drinks]

    F = Fremea [K56]
    U = Unali  [I18]
    Window gained access G10
    Reminder on Fremea's position is F on map
    Man at door [K31]

 * First Floor

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ____________________/______________________________     _____B
U I      I            I B%                                 I     I B  C
nBI      |            I a%  ___    O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  |     I u  D
kuI      I            I r%  [ ]                         ___I     I t  E
niI      |         ___I%%%  [ ] O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  I  |     I c  F
olI      I         ____     [ ]                         I  I     I h  G
wdI      |            I%%%  [ ] O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  I__|     I e  H
niI      I     Bar--->I B%  {_]                            I     I r  I
 nI      |            / a%         O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  |W    I    J
 gI      I            I r%                                 I     I    K
__I      I____________I__%_____/___________________________I     I____L

    K = Kell/Tor at table J36
    Other people not on map as would be too cluttered
    I = Stage area [F-H 57-60]
    O = Circle tables each table can seat 4-6 with chairs around them
   [ ]= Large single table with chairs around it
   Bar Area has stools at table
   Chairs/Stools not shown on map.
   Kell = J36 Table
   will = J61 outside 2 stories below Fremea's position
   Kiet = Off map across street south of Will.