[pnpgm] Game Update #10

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 02:49:04 CEST 2009

   Arawn will perform Mana Reading and Insight (max EL) on Raban and Kell (the latter to include Mana Sensing as well) with results private.
From Will:
["Thank you for your kind greeting I too hope we have the chance to share more stories as we travel together but for now kiama thinks it best that I leave some details till later."

OOC I am experimenting with my tecnique and trying to group my responses together let me know if it is working or not.   Also I am interested in learning the various languages on board ship so I assume we will somehow take turns using the amulet let me know how that works.]

   Arawn smiled,

   "I understand. When we have settled in and the time is right I might share more of my own story, with you and the others for there is more to tell... more than I can say I actually recall."

OOC: If you want to use the necklace just say what languages you'd like to learn. I'm assuming Will will see others use it during the time aboard and inquire. Feel free to RP if you want but basically you can learn one language permanently (through Tongues) a day. Scott can make a list of those learning and what days as well and you can look on the PBEM site at the bottom for languages commonly known to be possessed among the group.
         [   Caladan leans on his staff and smiles.  "Actually to be honest
        no one asked the party for a reward for the flying castle.  I
        may be wrong but I did ask around.  I'm sure he was prepared to
        reward and I understand most got almost 100 gold from the castle
        so to me that's quite a reward.  Even though I got not one coin
        from it.  He could have asked for it all or simply have seized
        it.  That book he mentioned in the meeting you have for example
        was the only thing he felt he should keep for safety of the
        middle world.  I've seen what rulers can do with favors.  I know
        there is no free lunch.  Damon got a free merchant ship like that
        one there." He points to the Blue Moon. "But I have no doubt if
        there was war or need, King Maros might ask nicely to use the
        ship.  Could Damon refuse a request from King Maros?  I doubt it.
        Not after such a reward and use of it for so long.  So rulers
        when they need something can call in even the simplest rewards.
        I'm sure the High Elder could have paid it fully and likely
        would have if no one here could afford it.  But that is one
        side of the book in his favor.  Something he can call back. 'I
        did pay for that trip...now I could use a favor..' That sort of
        thing.  Even in a land of barter like my home if a Shaman loans
        a horse to a warrior the shaman has been known to recruit the
        warrior for labor at times.  It is human nature a Elf like yourself
        may not quite understand." He smiles faintly but showing no clear
        sign of offense.]

   Arawn grinned.

   "I understand the arguement but to me the big flaw is that we are effectively doing a job for the High Elder, whether we ask for pay or not is beside the point. The boat fee is no different than him paying for supplies. If he were to ask someone to build a castle for him it is expected that he cover the cost of material while the workers perform the labor. He covers the expenses and we perform the necessary actions with supplied resources.
   As for the Maros, example, it is different. If the King gave the boat as gift I can understand asking another to use it on his behalf. Such is not the case with the High Elder, we are not using anything he has gifted to us. We would in no way be debted to him because we are not asking him for a gift or handout, it would be the other way around as we are performing a service for free, now compounded by having to pay a hefty sum to perform a service he asked us to do. Kind of like asking the castle builders to pay for the materials and then build the castle for him.
   As for not understanding, sadly I have to say otherwise. I come from the realm of the gods and was raised in court most of my life. I've seen how such things are 'asked' of others when in truth they are expected to comply, sometimes for free if those asked are not powerful themselves. Those with power are prone to 'asking' others to do many things for them and though some are generous with those they ask favors of not all fall in this category. Those that are generous are usually very much so and look with much favor upon those that fall under their eye. I do agree with you though that the High Elder will likely fall into this latter category and likely the favor of one of his power is greater than what mere coin can offer to others."

   Arawn actually enjoyed the debate. Caladan was good humoured and able to discuss different views while remaining emotionally detached, a trait Arawn always admired. Unfortunately many did not have such a trait and when he found those quick to react emotionally to a discussion he had learned that is was easier to end the talk quickly. Those who lost their composure often had reached a point where listening to anothers words had stopped.
Replying to his conversation with the Captain:

   "Thank you. I'll assist with the horses when the time arrives and appreciate the opportunity to assist how I may while aboard."

   Arawn will use his Navigation skills to work with the crew to ensure proper travel while aboard the ship, likely assisting keeping an eye out at night as well since he'd be up then.
[...The First mate spots Arawn and says hello.]

   Arawn waved back, a broad grin on his face.

   "Good to know. I'm actually looking forward to discovering more of this part of the world. Maybe sometime we can share stories. There are couple places I would like to ask you about," a distant look came across his face, "of places far out to the east."
   Focusing once again he added,
   "But it's late. Perhaps tomorrow. Until then I'll keep an eye on our course. Take care and good night."