[pnpgm] Game Update #7 - File #87 - Party leaves toward ship

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri May 8 06:59:13 CEST 2009

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
     ......................Ca.Lu.............Archer..................
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  .........................Fu Sa.............Guard...................
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
 *...........................................Child...................
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  .........................Swan..............Trader..................
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R?.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  .....................................Zhou's.Wife...................
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     NPC...................Shu.Yeoh......Apprentice..Normal/Human..Fe
     John.Stowman.........."Will"............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma

     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),
     * - Disguised

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #7 in sequence (file #87)

        From Raban: [Re: Mana Sensing/Reading]
          <I personally rate the two differently based on how active they
          are? Mana Sensing should always be on and tell you there is magic
          inside its reach. It is a passive scanner that does not tell you
          much. In effect it is a literal sense. Mana Reading is much more
          active and thus should need concentration to use, its a minor
          issue but one that does make it harder to Read and cast spells
          or do other actions. Normally both were free of cost but I think
          our GM has some Enl costs and other limits on Reading because it
          is quite powerful... One thing I missed many times before is it
          never says it tells you WHERE the magic is? Not even a direction
          is mentioned, so all you know is its in range. Now that does not
          fit the letter of the description in many ways but it does not
          contradict it either. So technically its a GM's call as to
          functionality of its use. Mechanics can make the abilities quite
          useful or next to useless due to 'Noise'. Think about the quantity
          of magic items the party may have and how that could flood senses.
          Think about the more powerful items masking the weaker onesetc...
          It is here I would treat the innate user differently from the
          spell user. The innate user is more likely to have used it enough
          to deal with the noise and understand how to determine which
          items are which. But someone with high intelligence, empathy or
          other 'sense' abilities, should work it out well enough. Soul
          Sight is quite powerful and its cousin Insight as well, as the
          divine tell you more than the Arcane magics do. Defenses are
          basically Immunity items that lower effective El which reduce
          ranges or if powerful enough can shut it off. Detecting a person
          could use MDV but some aspects should not as magic should radiate
          outside the person. Any active power or spell should be easily
          detected, unused ones could be protected. Once more its an area
          that is not detailed and thus up to the GM to decide. The rules
          as written imply no MDV applies to detections but never say for
          sure... The Bad Part is defenses have to be greater than the
          detector as equal leave El0 which still works if close enough!
          So its unlikely to be safe unless its a high powered defense,
          El5+? Economics again, better detectors cost more and when prices
          are in Gold and you wish quantity its more likely they will use
          the weaker ones. Thus the common detectors are likely low El and
          thus can be blocked, but the more critical areas will have better
          ones as will special units. Fortunately Divine ones should be
          rare, more likely limited to a rare few people like Inquisitors.
          Just guess work, but should be fairly close ;)

          <Raban has Insight to test on people. It has not quite come up
          in RP yet. <Arawn or Frema should know a lot about everyone,
          their magic items and innates. At some point they should have
          scanned everyone with Mana Reading. They would know they have
          them though not necessarily what they are?
        GM: Ack. Pretty much same. Sensing-passive-on as a general sense.
            Reading must invoke not always on.  Costs and use are defined
            in the rules same for mep.  For me its an aura effect.  If
            can see it in LOS then its like an aura but general direction.
            If Fremea would to stare at Z'leyra with all her items she
            could be blinded and get a headache for a short term due to
            the massive aura around her. Some of your noise comments
            apply as well for me.  There are minor differences in the
            natural use (sidh for example) and the spell versions.  Slight
            aura views and such.  This is the divine touch aspect.  But
            the full details and limits are mundane and plus I rather not
            give all my secrets away. :)  It wouldn't be fun without some
            mystery.  The bottom line is the safest way to avoid detection
            is leave magic.  With that said those magic users or innates
            still have some aura.   So a full non-magic user party would
            be best, but not wise.  So in that regard least amount of items
            taken is wise.  The more the more aura.  The more detectable. :)

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar chuckles at Farseeker's "complicated" strategy of...

          ...fighting spears.  He'll also procure two sets of well-made
          leather horse barding and 2 sets of well-made leather armor
          for himself....

          On the voyage, if nobody wants weapon training, Ben'Dar will
          spend his time practicing with his scimitar.  If somebody does
          want spear training, he'll spend his time doing that instead.
        GM: Ack.  Tef'wo already has one set of barding.  You replaced
            it when his was ruined at Lake Oca.  Do you want 2 more
            and the barding/leathers will you pay yourself or use
            the High Elder's "favor" like the IBT favors?

        From Will: [Re: Actions]
          Some may hear Will thanking Ki'ama for including him in...
        GM: Ack.  One suggestion if you don't mind.  Could you put all
            dialogue in "quotes"?  That way I know what will is saying.  I
            can infer from the posts but just to make sure what is said
            and what is thought via introspection.  Anything from you
            rather than Will just use OOC - out of character.  Thanks.