[pnpgm] Game Update #15 - File #197 - Party finalizes prep for battle

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Jun 16 08:15:25 CEST 2009

  di
  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  Do John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 2 Donkeys

  Cover Story Info:
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu as Guard/Archer
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa as Guard
     Fremea               as Noble child    [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan  as Trader
     Unali                as Zhou's wife

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #15 in sequence (file #197)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Sorry for the delay everyone but I've had a lot on my plate
          lately. Scott-
          Not sure why, but is there a reason grabbing his bow and a
          quiver of arrows before Translocating with Fremea should take 1
          to 3 minutes?
          Kell
          - In regards to his question on learning the Luck spell, Arawn
            will offer to teach it to him.
          If Arawn picks up on Shu's attraction to the sailor he'll use
          try to engage the sailor in conversation at some point,
          discussing various things before trying to bring Shu into the
          conversation. When he does he'd like to use Empathic powers to
          try and get a feel for the sailors reaction to Shu.
        GM: Ack. That was a full estimated time to get gear, move and
            wait for Fremea.  Since that alone would be about 2 minutes.
            She moves faster than you do so you didn't both meet at the
            same time in the hall.  So it would've been needed to go
            find her as well.  Two separate sleeping areas.  Why it was
            simply faster to just go one by one.  It was as I said
            rough estimates the update now out showed precise movements.
            I had given the same speech to Kell on summoning for practice
            you basically did but with my wise and old GM kind words. :)
            He will do a few more on the trip but far less than one
            might expect.  Had to edit the info a bit since it wasn't
            on ship yet but in the forest as the date and header shows.
            If your going to do Tongues for horses you need to let me
            know what days in the IBT or elsewise.  Suspect a donkey
            could understand a horse.  But I personally never tried to
            talk to either.  As to horse for Ben'dar you saw his reply
            awhile back right?  Like months ago.  He decided against it
            if I recall.  The problem is it would be useful but for someone
            who is around horses alot it could also be distracting.  While
            he is breaking one horse a dozen other horses could be getting
            his attention for food or walks and such.  Plus once he can
            talk to Tef'wo that unique relationship might end?  As I said
            in ICQ you wouldn't notice Shu's sly attention of the sailor
            yet at the present dragon day.  Maybe days after.  If I
            remember I'll try to handle things then.  Also I got a bounce
            from your Yahoo account saying it was suspended.  Just a FYI.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea will prepare her first shot to be a multishot - max el
          (not sure if she has increased yet or not).

          She will have to wait to fire it when one of the dragons is a
          medium to long range (medium preferred for better hitting,
          however if it seems they close too fast, then she will shoo one
          of them at long range).

          She watches on otherwise, not sure of what else to do yet.
        GM: Ack.

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <Teleportation theory: Since normal teleports do not damage
          people from merging with air, the teleport obviously displaces
          the space the person will occupy. Thus Air is quickly pushed
          away in all directions and the person pops in. Since air is very
          low density, this tends to work quite easily but makes a little
          noise. Teleporting into water may also work as water can be
          displaced, but it takes more effort to do so.

          Thus the water could fail to move quickly enough and something
          bad could occur. 'Solid' objects obviously will cause even more
          trouble though in some cases could be displaced enough. Side
          effects: Rapid displacement in 'solids' or higher density
          materials results in heat and noise. If the material cannot be
          displaced enough the forces may recoil and attempt to compress
          the person and cause damages. In the worst cases the materials
          merge, but this does not result in nuclear reactions as materials
          have a lot of empty space. But it is very bad for both materials
          as the merger will attempt to expand from electrostatic forces
          and create a lot of heat and can even explode.

          <Thus we at the Academy of Magical Sciences encourage our
          students to take advantage of the other spells included in the
          Travel Powers classes for just this reason. Insubstantiabilitly
          will prevent the merger issues all together and levitation will
          cover the cases where you mis target too high and also aid moving
          through solids. As an object lesson, on display here is a student
          that learned the hard way. Mage Phil of Delphia experimented too
          much without proper over site or safety precautions and one
          experiment failed quite badly resulting in his demise. Had
          immediate help been available, it is possible he would have
          survived. But such help was too far away and the pain and shock
          was too much for him to cast his own spells to emove himself
          from the Iron Door that bisected his body. The Academy purchased
          the remains and preserved it to put on display so that others
          will not repeat his experiments. As you can see, the door did
          not bisect the heart or brain, so he could have been healed if
          removed from the door quickly enough. The damage to his body
          would still have been severe as shown by the obvious burns to
          the flesh around the door and by the warping of the iron. Our
          healers determined that he had lived for a few minutes after
          his accident, but there was no one around to help him.

          <So always remember to practice with supervision, and in
          designated safety areas. Use other spells to reduce your risks
          as much as you can. Even targeting a safe area can go wrong in
          practice, so be careful.

          <LOL good scene, such fun! TskTsk lack of concentration cost a
          boot this time. Going through too much material is always tricky.
          <Once approaching 300', Raban should cast Multiarrow at max (he
          may only have El0? can it go up during the combat?). Recast as
          needed. <Lets see closing 6000' in 5 minutes? That means maybe 5
          phases for 300' not much time for shooting, they are very fast!
        GM: Ack. Hey! If this is some way to get Divine cash for your fancy
            museum forget it.  All soliciiations should be done in writing
            to my aides.  No.  They were at 2 miles 10560 feet or so and now
            at 9800 or so in 4 minutes.  So only did about 800 or a bit more
            feet in that time from my rough estimate.  So 200 feet a minute?
            Ok.  So maybe 5 phases.

        From Arawn: [Re: Teleporting]
          Thanks for the academic lesson:) After reading the decision on
          teleports I had actually thought about resorting to
          Insubstatiability and Flight before teleporting but didn't see
          it until after the game post was up. A bit slower than what I
          wanted but much safer too:)
        GM: Ack. Insub works with teleport but do Levitate so don't sink
            into floors.  Usually you can also do Div and see if you
            suddenly pop into a wall or something.  Many ways around it.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          We've always respected the dangers with any sort of material
          moving spell the same as beaming down to a planet / high tech
          solutions. Typically, we try to make sure the area is clear.
          Then, before teleporting, we use Insubstantial spells to make
          sure if its not, we don't die or explode on teleport. Yep, been
          doing it that way for 10! years now.

          Chion will ask the Captain, "Captain, I know magics which might
          aid us escape or at least delay until we are better prepared. If
          you wish, I will use them." if the captain wishes it, he will
          cast friendly currents (I hope that is for sea, and not for
          rivers).

          To Ben'Dar he just shurgs and says, "It was fpunny at the time."

          Yeah, but that wasn't the only spell he was planning on casting..
          Shhhh its a secret.
        GM: Ack.  Yep.  Actually Adventure 1 I was more lenient.  I didn't
            care about levitate needing for Insub and teleporting in
            some ways.  Then as with all adventures I've increased in
            overall difficulty as folks get used to the game.  Secret?
            As long as I know about it. :)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          OOC: If time is pushed forward to deal with the sea dragons
          Arawn will prep with the following- Flight at max EL
          Energy Shield at max EL
          Water Breathing if possible
          Invisibility at EL 0 using the Sidh Tongue Translocation at EL 1
          to take Kiet if he wants to go out and can fly (100 feet above
          the water) Elven Empathy to communicate if in range (is my range
          10 feet or 10 hexes?) or else Tongues if too far away If instead
          no one travels out then he'll hold until the dragons are closer
          and see what the group wants to do, summoning an elemental Water
          Beast if somone offers to send it home later. Otherwise he'll
          prep Flight, Energy Shield at max EL, and Invisibility if they
          decide to attack us without a chance for conversation. He'll
          attack with Transmutation if they are close enough (turn to
          floating board of balsa wood)
        GM: Ack. A lot of actions to coordinate.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          When Z'leyra estimates that a sea dragon will intercept the ship
          in under two minutes she will cast Clairvoyance at ELmax on
          herself. She will then prepare to use her magical sling to fire
          missiles at the sea dragon(s). If one gets within 50' she will
          cast Sh Invisibility EL2 on herself and resume using her sling,
          or use her staff if the sea dragon is within reach.
        GM: Ack.