[pnpgm] Game Update #13

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 02:07:22 CEST 2009

Sorry for the delay everyone but I've had a lot on my plate lately.

Scott-

   Not sure why, but is there a reason grabbing his bow and a quiver of arrows before Translocating with Fremea should take 1 to 3 minutes?

Kell-

   - In regards to his question on learning the Luck spell, Arawn will offer to teach it to him.

   - After watching Kell and Z'leyra practicing the summoning and then banishing gnomes a slight frown grew on Arawn's face. When the two of them took a moment to rest Arawn made his way over.

   "I've been watching you work at summoning elementals. I can appreciate practicing your skills but perhaps you might wish to use a different approach," he said in an even tone.
   "Some magics might best be developed through repetition but those magics that invoke the spirits or the gods are another thing altogether. The use of such magic, without strong and often immediate cause, can anger the powers that be. True, some mages coerce cooperation of spirits through sheer force of will and power but they risk themselves in doing so for these forces remember such things. If they slip, even once, these spirits are are likely to turn on them viciously and the gods might find subtle ways to hinder these mages in the future.
   By approaching these spirits in a more respectful manner, by negotiation, especially when there is not an immediate need to call them, one is more likely to gain their respect and favor. Even if some of these forces are unpredictable there is the small chance of gaining extra help when it is needed or, more likely, at the very least you will likely not increase any future threat to yourself, and, like Fremea, you might even gain a powerful ally."
   He looked across the deck to faerry hovering amidst the crew and smiled. Looking back to the half-elf he continued,
    "Such a connection could prove more valuable then simple mastery of the spell. And regardless, such forces will give you the same respect you give them. If you need to develop your elemental mastery might I suggest a combination of time spent studying, the invocations of Knowledge and Wisdom, and prudent and timely use of the spell. The gnomes will likely appreciate it and they are, after all, very, very distant relations."

   Arawn spends much time among the horses, tending to them and speaking to them (including Tef'wo and the donkey as well if it understands, otherwise he'd use Tongues) to reassure them along the journey. At some point, when Ben'dar is down there as well Arawn will approach him.

   "It has been a while since our talk in the Sacred Forest. I had offered to teach you the Horse tongue at some point but it appears we had little time to work on this. If you are still interested Z'leyra's necklace could speed up the process and I could help you practice it," Arawn offered.
   "It could prove useful, besides, if something should happen out at sea you'd stand a better chance of aiding and coordinating things with Tef'wo."

   Arawn was excited to be out at sea, developing his skills as a navigator but he did not wish to step on the first-mate's toes. Early one evening he approached Wa-son during a quiet moment.

   "It's been a while since I've been out to sea and the first time on this one," he said, breathing in deeply of the salty air.
   "I had trained as a navigator, among other things, but had only spent a few months at sea developing my skill. I've been looking for an opportunity ever since and it's privilege watching you at work. If it wouldn't be a bother it would be an honor to hone my skill by learning from one with your experience as we journey," he asked politely. (Scott, if this is an Influence Chance roll Arawn will add his Rhetoric to it)

   If Arawn senses Shu's attraction to the sailor Arawn will attempt to engage the sailor in conversation at some point, likely during meal time, discussing various things (small talk, banter, and such). At some point he'd like to bring Shu into the conversation, trying to use Elvish Empathy to try and sense the sailors reaction to Shu.