[pnpgm] Languages (or, Kiet Stands Alone?) (think Rocky and Bullwinkle)

kzinti maouse kzinti_maouse at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 01:28:36 CEST 2009

Chion is still smiling when he lets loose a long diatribe, "I think you are quite right that the words have power. I think however you are mistaken on whence the power flows from or towards the source. A word created by a god, and owned by that god does not leave them. It is by nature theirs. And empowers them by use. If no one spoke their tounge, they would lose power. If everyone spoke it, they would be the most powerful. Dwarves do not share their language because they wish the attentions of Lord Dvallin to fall only within their ranks. Whom else is deserving? Nobody. I would note that nobody here expects any sacred language to be casually used. For whether you are correct, or I am, regarding ebbs and flows, we are all well aware there is a price to be paid for using a Diety's language. What we are suggesting, is that in order to benefit our party and make stronger our allies, we share knowledge of, not use of, our languages. I learned a long long
 time ago that knowledge is power. Knowledge in reserve is power in reserve. I have no fear of knowing. Not like in trying to do. I would not give a language to an apprentice until they understood the ramifications of praising a diety with their every word. Or, if you are correct, draining one. And while I do not think that you are, this tool for learning languages allows one to learn a hundred times easier than I learned my first Diefic language. Without the praise or drain on the diety done by the spoken word, you can come to understand much better than months of study and practice aloud. By any measure, it is a far better thing to use this device than to study such dangerous languages formally."