[pnpgm] Game Update #114 - File #658 - Oby's offers

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Feb 24 05:34:04 CET 2009

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #115 in sequence (file #658)

     Admin Notes: Nona.

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <I have internet again. The neb.rr.com account is dead, I am
          using windstream.net now>

          Raban considers the offer for some time before speaking, "Oby,
          I have found I have a need for better armor and likely weapons
          as well. It may be possible for you to assist in this, but I
          need to know more of your offer and what you can provide. I do
          not wish to put too much of a demand on my friends, but can you
          make what they have offered me? An Elvish Bow made for my
          strength and enchanted would be a wonderful thing, far beyond
          anything I could ever make for myself. At least not for many
          years. The simplest weapon for me would be better gauntlets as
          its one I could use the most, though I am about as skilled
          with the longbow."

          <ooops there is a problem what skill is elf bow?>

          "I really do not know much about such things to judge what magic
          is possible or needed. I will leave it to wiser people to tell
          me what I need, as they should know that much better that I. But
          I am concerned as to costs, in services or goods, as I am
          constrained by my order in some things."
          <that reads much worse than I thought...oh well>

          <Magical healing can be from anyone who can afford the mana or
          himself at el0>

          <If someone offers the full treatment, he would be happy to
          accept. There may be supplies yet.>

          <Its been so long I forgot what languages Raban was looking
          for? He got the katai, but he is interested in lots of others.
          But thats rp...so>

          Once the topic of learning more languages comes up, Raban smiles
          with interest..."Can that spell help you improve your skill in a
          language like Elf Sidh? I found my skill to be far below what
          was needed. As a bard, all languages are of interest to me, but
          I always wanted to learn Faerry Sidh and other exotic languages.
          I will of course wait for a chance, as there is no immediate
          needs that I know of."

          <not sure if it will improve language skill you already have?>
          <Raban has a few more languages. Xianese, Aratad, Wood, but do
          not think anyone knows that yet>

          <yup and its one of his biggest skills ;) > <Since its a
          supernatural language, its one of the longest and hardest
          classes the Bards take ;) > <Yes you can say the bards worked
          hard on wood every day to become such experts>
          <I better stop now...>
        GM: Ack. Welcome back.  I hope you got your character sheet.
            I posted about it in last couple updates they were sent
            out.  Elven bow skill is simply bow.  Since Z'leyra's
            offer is open will consider you get healed from her. Should
            have your sheet there for languages. Yes.  It will improve
            the language skill to max.  I didn't list those languages
            since it was private and not known yet to the party.  If
            you want to learn one sign up fast. Ewww.  Bad joke.  Making
            the Dwarves jealous!  Shame on you.

                        ----------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Everything tha Chion doesn't know except Helva can come from
          Z'leyra it seems. He will also ask (quietly) in town if anyone
          is known to speak L'P'Nth to learn it. After all, he has a
          trading route there in the mountains if he can find that guy
          again.

          Raban knows WOOD! LOL. Funiest thing I have heard in this PBEM.
          LOLROTFLMAO!

          (The Dwarves must be jealous!)
        GM: Ack.  Yes someone can be found to speak L'p'nth to learn it
            since Katai has neighbors with them.  If you want to learn
            it for sure let me know. Same for the things to learn from
            Z'leyra.  Its not specific so the vague comment isn't clear
            if you want to learn all those languages Z'leyra knows or not?
            So like that joke eh?  Well fine.  Read the website for
            your post links for you two! :)

                        ----------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn doesn't speak Elf Sidh?

          Probably best if everybody learns Katai during the travel days
          back. Unali is willing to teach.

          Unali expresses an interest in learning Elf Sidh and Donaran.
          Except that I guess others need to learn Katai first and have
          expressed an interest in learning a language first. She will
          pass on using the amulet if anybody else want a go first.
        GM: Ack.  Opps.  OF course he does.  Guess I skipped it.  I
            didn't list all supernatural languages for some personal
            reasons of privacy.

                        ----------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Most of the party would know that Arawn speaks Elf and Faerry
          Sidh (or could just ask him) and Vassa as well.
          [***Unali's Email deleted for space ***]
        GM: Ack.  Sorry my bad.

                        ----------------------

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Perhaps it would be helpful to some of us newbies to have us
          all discuss our histories and skills (and maybe certain magics)
          on the trip back to the Citadel.  This would help when we make
          individual decisions as to how best to approach problems.  For
          instance, I conjured up an illusion fighting image of Sven only
          to have it dispelled by another players permanent magic item.
          Besides the annoyance factor, there's the mana cost factor
          involved...and us young 'uns don't have mana to waste.

          Would anyone agree?
        GM: Ack. I don't mind at all folks doing that.  In a few days I
            should have the PC/NPC personalities file updated up to present
            day.  That file might be useful to learn of all the past and
            present personalities.  Don't forget I also keep notes on each
            person in a separate People report at the bottom of the website
            as well.  That info goes into the bigger file at the end.  But
            don't read the big bio file yet.  I am 80% done or so.  Give it
            a few days and should have it done by next update.  Then you
            can review it and see who is who.  It includes SOME history
            and some skill sets in there. Will even have a new section
            just for you! :)  The problem is in 10 years there has not
            been one single leader.  Power corrupts. :)  But I don't mind
            you guys even choosing a leader if you wanted as long as it
            doesn't break down into situations that can be dangerous - ie
            fights, etc.  Personally the game has gone well without a
            leader all this time.  But if you guys want to share personal
            history, secrets by all means do so.  I don't reveal secrets
            unless you guys do so.

                        ----------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <Yup but thats RP, so up to the characters involved and there
          seems to be a lot of secrets being kept. But things relative to
          worn magic and its effects need some mentions. Or just as
          equally a really detailed description so 'mages' can figure it
          out themselves.> <Of course the GM misses a few of those at
          times...Like Raban can see in the Dark due to a worn item. I
          am pretty sure there was a couple places that was failed to
          mention in the story so far. In PnP most Natural Magics must be
          exposed to function so they can be spotted and understood by
          those with the right knowledge.>

          <Raban wears 2 Silver and Jeweled Armbands. On the Left is White
          Flint and Coral, on the Right is Jade, Amber and Alectorious.>
          <When sleeping Raban often wears a cloth bag on a cord around
          his neck that contains a LapWing Heart. (Though for some reason
          this is a much larger item than expected or he would wear it all
          the time.)> <The Lapwing Heart may not have been so obvious for
          identification, but the others should be.>
          [***Kiet's email deleted for space ***]
        GM: Ack.  No.  I knew your gauntlet could let you see in the dark.
            But its not vital to the story in some places.  Like the slab
            I only mentioned Z'leyra and Arawn having it.  To guide the
            slab and for back recon.  If it was combat I would know about it.
            But yes there are times when even I can't keep track of every
            single item out there.  Take Z'leyra alone there are times
            when she brings out something in her bag and I shiver. :)
            But its up to you guys to do the secret telling not me.  It
            is like your flying it would've been nice reveal in some dire
            situation later on.  but it was revealed.  Problem with
            secrets is folks like Bertram.  A old Adventure #1 guy who
            failed to gain trust of the party after several situations.
            So folks kept quiet on things.  If you want to read about
            him you can in the big bio file when I update it.  Wait
            a few days.

                        ----------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra apologizes for her chalcedony having dispelled the
          illusion of Sven. It has also prevented her from practicing
          illusions much since she enhanced it. She warns that the belts
          she ensorcels reduce the chance of chaos spells working against
          the wearer and reduce the effectiveness of any chaos magics that
          do get thru. The effectiveness is reduced enough to render low
          powered versions of spells impotent to affect the wearer.

          This will prevent or reduce such spells as Invulnerabilty as
          well. Someday she might practice the protections against Law as
          she has practiced the protections against chaos.
        GM: Ack.  Another problem with magical bags and warehouse of items
            it the beacon of mana.  :)  Mana senses go blazing when
            they can sense such things.  Just think of all those  mana
            sensing monsters creeping about.  :)

        [Apris 6th, 1634TH. 9th Day of Adventure #4.
        [Location: High Elder's domain - Citadel, Dark Lands, Forest]

        [Inside the Citadel Oby gives his general offer for help to
         the party.  Using Raban's armor as an example.  Raban considers
         the offer with a cautious glance.  Not sure if he can trust
         the man or the Elder.  If Chion and Ben'dar had their way
         no one would trust him.  Finally he speaks.]

        Raban: "Oby, I have found I have a need for better armor and
          likely weapons as well. It may be possible for you to assist
          in this, but I need to know more of your offer and what you can
          provide. I do not wish to put too much of a demand on my friends,
          but can you make what they have offered me? An Elvish Bow made
          for my strength and enchanted would be a wonderful thing, far
          beyond anything I could ever make for myself. At least not for
          many years. The simplest weapon for me would be better gauntlets
          as its one I could use the most, though I am about as skilled
          with the longbow."

        [Oby frowns a bit during the speech then seems to consider.  His
         black eyes flicker in the nearby torchlight of the open and
         cool citadel.  He crosses his right arm to his left and brings
         a finger to his chin and taps it in thought.  A few seconds
         later he replies.]

        Oby: "Armor would be no problem.  High Elder Ki'ama has said
          you, as in everyone here, are to be rewarded.  While we may
          not be able to heap piles of gold we are useful in other areas.
          We are in the middle of the most prolific congested magical
          realm on the continent.  So magic is our speciality.  As to
          our offer it would be free armor if you wanted such a reward.
          You would simply attend the tailors ship, he would stand on
          a stool and get measurements." [He smiles briefly] "Then
          you would head to the blacksmith and armor shops and they would
          get to your armor right away.  We could enchant it for you
          and then deliver it to you per your specifications.  But
          with the time left to us before the meeting I doubt serious
          armor could be made, like heavy chain or plate.  I'm no
          expert in such things but I don't know if the time is too
          short for such things.  They could tell you that.  As to
          Gauntlets. " [He approaches and walks around Raban.  Raban
          gets a bit nervous but stands tall and still.] "You don't
          actually look so well in gauntlets my friend.  They take
          away from your...ka..your..presence.  They diminish you.
          Your size and bearing are your most powerful weapons.  I
          doubt most would threaten you.  But if you would like some
          I'm sure they could be made magic or mundane. " [He
          stops in front of Raban and looks up.  Raban looks down at
          the man who stands about 3 foot shorter.  He frowns and
          bows slightly as if apologetic.] "Sadly an Elven bow is
          likely out of our power.  Unless your friend there would
          furnish the secrets on their design I don't think even
          our experts could do such a thing.  Not even including the
          materials that may be needed.  As to Armor and Gauntlets
          or weapons they should be no problem.  What do you say?"

        Raban: "I really do not know much about such things to judge what
          magic is possible or needed. I will leave it to wiser people to
          tell me what I need, as they should know that much better that I.
          But I am concerned as to costs, in services or goods, as I am
          constrained by my order in some things."

        [Oby steps back as if not wanting to upset the Giant who could
         probably kill him with a cough.]

        Oby: "Again no costs would be involved.  In fact it would be a
          disgrace to even suggest such things.  The Elder's hospitality
          is to you and your friends for what you have done here this
          week.  OF course we would hope such things would be kept quiet
          until the meeting can be held.  As to what skills and magic
          it would depend on your design request."

        [Oby walks near Arawn, after getting a quick debriefing by Sven
         on the way back he knows a few things.]

        Oby:  "Your armor we will get to studying it as soon as you
          wish.  For the other magical items we offer our services to
          divine them.  We will not make such knowledge public or
          charge for those services.  We claim none of them for the
          Lands or the Elder."

        [Oby walks near Ben'dar and waves a hand at him.]

        Oby: "We can repair weapons and armor as well.  Just ask.
          We are limited on our smiths and shops here in the village
          but we can send for help or send the items away if needed
          if over taxed by quantity."

        [Oby passes by Chion, smiles and nods at him.]

        Oby: "We can even furnish some specific item you may need or
          want if we have it or can make it.  Within reason and
          time limits of course.  Making a Soul Daiva killer wand
          might take a bit of time and resources for example.  But
          more mundane items like the Gnarish staff..."

        [Oby passes by Fremea and stops briefly.]

        Oby: "We can even supply men and supplies for trips into the
          forest.  Providing you keep to the non-chaos realms of
          course.  I suspect there you may not be so welcome."

        [Oby passes Kiet and waves a hand at him.]

        Oby: "We can even re-supply you with basic travel supplies which
          you may need.  At no costs...within reason...after all we
          have villagers who may need some as well."

        [Oby passes Unali and nods.]

        Oby: "We can even supply skilled trainers for various skills
          and combat training if needed."

        [Finally he completes the circle around the party and passes
         Z'leyra, glancing at her.]

        Oby: "Even medical supplies and within reason natural items."

        [Oby stops again in front of Oby and raises both arms wide.]

        Oby: "We are in your debt.  Just ask what you need either now
          to me, my companions, a guard or privately.  If we can
          do it, have the materials and time we will do such for you."

                                ----------------------

        [Later after Oby, Suca and the others leave.  The conversation
         of learning languages is put back into the front.]

        [Raban being a Bard knows languages are useful for them.  He
         smiles at the reminder of Z'leyra's necklace.]

        Raban: "Can that spell help you improve your skill in a language
          like Elf Sidh? I found my skill to be far below what was needed.
          As a bard, all languages are of interest to me, but I always
          wanted to learn Faerry Sidh and other exotic languages. I will
          of course wait for a chance, as there is no immediate needs that
          I know of."

        [Unali suggests learning Katai.  After all this land is full of
         people who speak it and that may be needed.]

        Caldan: "I would like to learn Katai myself."

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Friday...

        GM: Got IBT actions from Unali.  She is #7 at this point.  I
            think I have something from all but Raban.  But there
            is no rush as I've not even started #1 yet.  Just still
            catching up on other things. Website was down this weekend
            but is back up now.  Check out the language chart on the
            website for this update if it messes up in email.  Stay
            tuned for a updated Personalities file later in the week.
            Languages chart updated below.

        GM: Intros - I found Z'leyra's intro going back to Aug 2001.
            I could back track and find intros for various characters
            if you guys want me to.  I still have Adventure #3 on the
            website but it will soon go down to put #4 in its place.
            If you want to me search for it let me know.  Also don't
            forget the recap section has comments as well!  As a reminder
            check out the links section on the website for a map of the
            Citadel.  It includes a local list of shops and what is
            around the immediate area.  If you need to append to IBT
            actions you can do so.

        GM: Timeline - [Reminder to me and you]
            Apris 3-6 - Travel to Citadel
            Apris 7-14- IBT time
            Apris 15  - High Elder's Meeting
            Total IBT Days: 12

        GM: IBT Actions - IBT events will be queued.  Since I don't have
            time to do but maybe 1-2 at a time it will take time to
            process them all.  First come first serve.

               Sent/Posted IBT actions already
            #1 - Ben'dar          #2 - Chion
            #3 - Kiet             #4 - Fremea
            #5 - Unali            #6 - Z'leyra
            #7 - Arawn

            Will get to these actions as soon as I can.

        GM: Common Languages

                     Zen Mar Bir Hel Kat Elf Lem Fae Cli Vas Ara Don Kam Sal
            Ben'dar...X...X.................................................
            Caladan...X...X.................................................
            Arawn.....X...X...X...X...X...X.......X.......X.................
            Raban.........X...........X...X...................X.............
            Kiet..........X...........X.......X.............................
            Chion.....X...X...........X...X.......X...X.....................
            Fremea........X...........X...X.......X.......X.................
            Unali.....X...X...........X...............X...X.................
            Z'leyra...X...X...X*......X...............X...X...X...X...X...X.
            Raban    Xianese, Wood [No room above]

            Zen - Zen'dali          Mar - Marentian    Bir - Bird, *\Eagle
            Hel - Helva             Kat - Katai        Elf - Elf Sidh
            Fae - Faerry Sidh       Cli - Climan       Lem - Lemasan
            Vas - Vassa             Don - Donaran      Kam - Kameri

        GM: Learning Languages
            Days/Slots: 12

            Slot 1: Chion   - L'p'nth
            Slot 2: Unali   - Donaran
            Slot 3: Unali   - Elf Sidh
            Slot 4: Caladan - Katai

            Slots left: 8
            Let me know what you learn officially as ASAP before slots
            get filled up.  But there will be time next adventure to
            learn more.  I just don't know how long at this point.