[pnpgm] Game Update #4

john haight lithalis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 04:20:30 CEST 2009

   Arawn had sat in silence as Ki'ama and the group discussed plans for the mission. He turned his slightly as he regarded the various speakers along with a quiet but warm smile directed Kell's way before deciding to add his own voice to the mix.

   "I think the idea of a local noble is a fine idea but there are a few weak areas we should fix. Right now it seems that we only have three, maybe four, among the group that can pass for locals. Considering the size of the group we might wish to work on why there are so many foreigners amongst the entourage. Though guards, scholars, nobles, and even entertainers have been mentioned I do not feel that it is believable for a noble to hire so many outsiders when a noble would be more likely to pull the competent from the local flock.
   I suggest that one of us 'outsiders' should play someone befriended by the noble, or at least someone the noble wishes to befriend. The position should be one of apparent affluence. An outside noble would be expected to make for the capitol but I think a very wealthy and powerful foreign merchant could prove believable. The rest of the outsiders would be linked to the merchant as servants or even family. It would fit with a noble's background, bringing a powerful friend or ally along to show him or her the wonders of the noble's country. while still maintaing freedom of movement.
   As for our journey, I think the idea of coming in by boat to be the most reasonable. We are in a race for time with a completely unknown deadline. At the same time we must secure the believability of our ruse. Travelling by ship seems to be the best choice in my eyes, a balance between speed and covering our identity.
   In regards to the issue of magical items and threat of aural readings, I have no problem leaving magical items behind for this journey. In fact I actually relish the idea as an opportunity to practice my skills and abilities without the crutch of such tools. After all, one never knows when the option of magic could be stripped from us and we are left to fend for ourselves with only our wits and abilities. Still, it seems that some here strongly desire to have relatively easy access to their items for this journey.
   The use of mana shields is one option, though timing is key with this. Also, could everyone be covered in time? Oblivion has its own issues as has been discussed. I, for one, would opt for teleporting our items when we are aware that they will be needed. This minimizes detection, though without the use of shields some of our enchanters may yet be detected by their vast magical potential.
   The wagon is another idea though I can say from experience that a strong aura of magic could be detected even through several feet of stone so hidden compartments would likely be most useful for mundane searches but not against the mystic sensors. If we still wish a specialized wagon made perhaps with the use of Transmutation it can be brought over with a teleport, maybe switched out for another wagon if such is recorded.
   Personally though I think it best to leave items behind for now. At least until we get a better feel for things in Katai."

   He waited to see if there would be any replies before continuing.

   "As to the Vong, I would like to add a few more bits of information to help us decide on how best to approach dealing with them.
   In might be a good idea to have others continue research on the Vong in our absence, or with the judicious use of teleportation, perhaps some of us could do so, returning to the party afterwards or on a recurring basis during the party's travel.
   There has been talk of gateways between our worlds but a location has yet to be discovered. Before leaving Marentia Kaylle mentioned a scholar friend who had read a travel journal which described an odd skeleton wearing dessicated crab-like armor found in some remote mountain. She could not recall the book but she might have discovered something since we parted ways.
   This could fit with the image of the mountain I saw during a vision in which I sought further knowledge on the Vong."

   Arawn pulled out a scroll from a stone case, unfurling it to reveal a mountain that was skillfully drawn and painted.

   "I commissioned this after my vision to capture the image and perhaps help us locate it later on. It might not be connected but I have to wonder.
   On top of that Kaylle also mentioned that during an attempt to inquire about the Vong the Royal Archivest evaded the topic and seemed to be holding something back. She said that she would look into it if possible and I can only hope that she has pulled extra information since we last spoke.
   Beyond Kaylle, there are the stories of plains people. Someone had mentioned that some of the shamans were trained specifically to deal with the threat posed by the Vong. Would it be possible for one of us, Caladan or Z'leyra most likely due to background, to meet with such a shaman for further information or even training, if only briefly?"

   Passing the mountain scroll around Arawn then carefully pulled forth another scroll, singed in places, the air suddenly smelling of burnt wood when the case is opened.

   "We also have this, a scroll found in the cabin at the edge of the Vassa woods."

   OOC: For those who study it this is what you see-

[The Scroll is slightly tanned and scared by the Heat spell.
             It is very wrinkled and crinkled in places.  In some cases
             it seems the ink has been virtually evaporated or destroyed?]

            "The Plan is set in motion.  Nom has seen to connections in ----
             ---- (missing ink or destroyed].  The Brain is almost ready
             in Rising Mount.  The House is supportive.  Major operations
             [burnt text here but looks like word "are"] are in action.
             Soon the time of [---destroyed text---]-Harla will be set.

             Product will be expected in one season.  Be careful of locals.
             Kill anything that hinders Product.  Nom will sent Attendant
             to collect Product.

             You are only to oversee Product development not interfere in
             operations of Growers.  No contact should be made unless in
             extreme emergency.

                                                Chu Yu"

            [At the bottom is some symbol of what could be a animal
             wrestling another animal as if in a circle one on
             top of each other. ?]

   After allowing everyone to see it, including the High Elder, Arawn adds,

   "A Katai man in military clothing was present in the cabin in which this was found. This leads me to believe that at least some part of military is involved in dealings with the Vong. As for Rising Mount, possibly the mountain discussed earlier, and the mention of Harla, they remain a mystery to me but perhaps our esteemed host, the High Elder, might have some insight. If not then our contact will hopefully grant some insight.
   I have been told Chu Yu is a common name but if the military is involved we might be able to further narrow our search. However, our greatest clue to narrowing things down might be the sigil at the bottom (the wrestling animals). Is this familiar to anyone?"