[pnpgm] Game Update #84a - File #445 - Recap and comments

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Oct 24 06:32:26 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #84a in sequence (file #445)

     Admin Notes: Part 1 of 3

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <oops I forgot about casting speed, rush work needed lower El or
          is cast by Enl faster?>
          <Elf Chain is for Kings, Elf Plate is a myth! LOL Must be an odd
          world. Price? By original books it could reach 100,000 gold so a
          real estimate would be >1000 gold I would expect.>

          Raban smiles as he listens to Chion's story, such a unique
          entrance this visitor had. Perhaps it was required that she
          bring nothing with her to reduce the risks to A'kril, if so she
          should be a competent mage. Likely there is political factions
          involved and this place was brought for some power play. But if
          so, then there are dangers here more than we have seen as Great
          Mages would have seen most of this as just a nuisance.

          Raban (to Arawn) "My deepest apologies, I failed to keep the
          peace you desired. I even misjudged what their leader thought
          was his advantage, fortunately it was not beyond our capabilities.
          I saw this leader was one like many in power, he would not care
          if we had all died in route or in his presence. We were but a
          curiosity to examine and be disposed of if not of use. It is
          possible he would have honored your peace for a while and then
          summoned the guards to dispose of us anyway. I was prepared for
          that and would have moved to protect the ladies and yourself when
          the time came. As long as they had not removed your weapons, that
          would have been enough to put us back on more even ground again.
          But something happened and all plans were ruined, it is very hard
          to stop a fight once blood has been spilled. I did what I could
          to protect the others and even tried not to kill at first, but
          there were too many to take the extra time needed. Sadly it is
          far easier to kill than render someone unconscious."

          Raban (to Caladan) "I am still sure that this A'kril was not of
          high standing, and should not have been the ruler of such a place.
          Yet he seems to have been bound to this place for a long time?
          There is much here that I do not understand, but I am usually a
          good judge of people."

          Raban (to ?) "If we continue to have such violent meetings, I
          am going to need some armor. I can remake my leather with material
          from other such armors but it has shown that it will not last very
          long. It was designed mostly to reduce scratches and such from
          rough travel and not from weapons. Does anyone know of a way for
          me to get somewhat more durable armor while we are here? If not, I
          will just have to try harder not to be hit so much, though so far
          that has not been very effective."

          <Thought Train Derailed! Oh the Carnage as it smashes into other
          innocent thoughts.... There was something else I was going to add
          and Oooo look a shiney..>
        GM: Ack. Speed would've been 3 seconds sooner Kiet would've died. So
            might not have helped.  As to plate there is a story  behind it
            one day you guys will learn. :)  When I have to read long posts
            like the one I do I tend to get the file and go line by line and
            delete stuff not needed to reply.  Then type up a reply as I see
            something.  That way I don't have to re-read the long post or
            such.  Since I forget too :)

                        -------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea would like the powders - later if need be though. (She
          wonders if the gem in the mantle can be pried loose without it
          activating anything else.)

          "I will search with you. It seems there are needs that I can help
          with in finding out what is hidden around here."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar scowls at Chion, but after a few seconds he grins.  "Ever
          the trickster.  Lucky I did not remove your head!"

          Ben'Dar doesn't seem interested in any of the specific loot
          items.  He nods agreement with Caladan.  "Yes, those heavily
          injured should rest here." he indicates one of the secret rooms
          adjacent to the main room, preferably one with no other entrance
          and a door that is hidden when closed.  "While those of us less
          injured can scout out the surrounding area."  Ben'Dar suggests
          that Unali and Chion scout ahead, while He and Arawn follow to
          provide support if needed.  If others more heavily injured wish
          to join, he nods, impressed with their boldness.

          Before heading out to explore, Ben'Dar will accept non-magical
          healing from Z'leyra.
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn accepted Unali's apology with a smile.

          "There is no need to apologize for you did what you felt you
          must but the thought is welcome, Unali. Thank you."

          He then moved to check on Kiet, offering what comfort he could,
          concern and compassion in his eyes as he watched the man convulse
          before Z'leyra got the situation under control, the druid close at
          hand if help was needed. When it became apparent that Kiet was
          finally stabilized Arawn gave him a soft and comforting look
          before turning his attention to his own depletion. Moving beside
          Raban he inquired about the Angelica and found himself rewarded
          with a quickly poured dose. Smiling Arawn took the Angelica
          potion from the giant's hand.

          "Thank you, Raban. I appreciate it."

          After downing the potion Arawn felt the flush of energy coursing
          through his system and considered using his own powers to restore
          himself to full capacity. Realizing that restoring it should aid
          his casting he decided to do so (Energy EL0, up to 2 times to
          restore his Energy levels, cast with the wand). As he did so he
          took note of Raban's vulnerable state.

          "The others have protection of some sort and I can hand my armor
          over as I will be wearing the plate armor. Unfortunately I do not
          think it would fit one as large as you. Still, I would hate to
          see you unprotected. If you wish I can craft you armor to wear
          that should last until this mission is over."

          If Raban can wear armor sized for a regular man then Arawn can
          hand his own scale mail to him. Otherwise he'll have to resort to
          another trick...

          During the rest period Arawn brings to the attention of the
          magical healers of the group the benefits of Blessings (for CON)
          combined with Luck spells to assist in a successful healing for
          those who have been magically healed recently in a day.
          As the group went over the room Arawn continued to study the
          chandalier before finally speaking aloud.

          "I'm not entirely sure of this but I'm wondering if this entire
          area is warded, not just against dangerous magics but also against
          magic and abilities that sense magic in the first place. It
          would make sense for a wizard in such an abode as this to ward
          it against other enemy casters, blocking their efforts to scan
          its defenses and thus leaving them in a precarious situation
          should spell battle occur.

          I noticed that two candles are not lit on the chandalier,
          unusual if only for the fact that the other candles are lit.
          Considering the wards, both known and unknown, I'm wondering if
          the Dark Lightning and possible Dispel were linked to the candles.
          If so that means the other candles could be representative of
          other wards in place, local or otherwise, and if so I wonder,
          would it be wise to extinguish them? Will that set off the wards
          or shut them down? And does anyone know of the old magics that
          would see through spells to obscure magic?"
          In regards to the unusual coins Arawn states that they could have
          possible collector value if the right buyer can be located, thus
          making them more valuable then being mere coin.

          Arawn would like to save what mana he has left for the night
          but, if after everything else that might be mentioned in this
          post, anyone still wants to identify the magical items right
          now as opposed to the morning, let me know.
          Arawn stood beside Fremea as he looked at the dead Dark Elf.

          "I am glad that we are alive but I do not hate these elves. I have
          never heard of them before which sends a few thoughts through my
          mind but I cannot judge them while knowing only a little of them.
          There hatred, well-founded or otherwise, will only serve to
          destroy them and I wish to know from whence it came, though it
          seems linked to the days of ancient past. I pity them for
          suffering the baggage of such hate, for it is a poison that eats
          at the soul and can rob one of joy and love."

          Kneeling down he took a bit of charred skin and nail clipping and
          wrapped them carefully in some nearby cloth from a more intact
          fallen.

          "I'll see what I can find out later."

          Looking down at the vase containing A'kril's ashes he addressed
          the entire group.

          "It is a pity that this should end in slaughter. He was a man
          only seeking to protect himself against invaders, as any of us
          would have done if strangers arrived uninvited into our homes
          after killing our beloved allies and pets. He did not initiate
          combat and it is a shame that our group was the one to do so,
          resulting in the murder of a man in his home.

          I know that there are times when we must fight but I hope that we
          can learn that an enemy does not always hide behind every door,
          even if some are mixed in the fold," he added as he looked at the
          Dark Elves. "In doing so we might miss the chance for a friend
          because we are too set in turning them into an enemy."

          There was a sad look on his face as he continued,
          "I hope that such a mistake doesn't come to haunt us again."
          He paused a moment in respectful silence before continuing.

          "My thoughts go back to the words of the prophet shared by the
          High Elder.

          "In the days before the Second Great Plaque a son of the ice
          warrior will come in a mysterious manner.  The Chosen One will
          lead the Son to seek the Outsiders. The floating dark cloud will
          mark its shadow on the cold and bring a great blight to the land.
          The tainted and cursed one will seek friendship before death
          comes.Through group confluence shall the terror be dealt with..."

          A'kril seemed willing to talk over fight and his final words
          still ring in my ears, "I'm free."

          He seemed oddly happy to die and combined with the rapid aging
          of the body leads meto believe that he may have been cursed to
          remain here for some purpose, though I do not know what. All this
          seems to indicate he might have been the one mentioned in the
          line, ' Thetainted and cursed one will seek friendship before
          death comes.'" He looked down at the ashes and whispered,  "You
          have mine Master A'kril." Arawn then looked up and continued,
          "With his death I wonder, what is the 'terror' mentioned or have
          was he guarding it? If so, I dread to think what has been
          released.   I would question A'kril's spirit but I fear Caladan
          is likely right. Casting such a spell here could prove disastrous.
          If only there were a way to perceive the all the wards and what
          theydo? Maybe one of the candles serves as the focus for the
          masking magic, hmmm?"-
        GM: Ack. Reminder that casting through staff or wands cost more
            mana than normal. Keep in mind the time of day.  To rest the
            night you'd have to go a good 13 hours :) Your taking some
            skin and nail?  That is severe desecration for a druid. Its
            one thing taking animal skin and samples. But another to take
            human or elven samples.  You sure you want to do it?

                        -------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Reaction to Arawn]
          [***Arawn's part of email deleted***]

          Raban sighs, "When you have arms larger than most mens legs, you
          become used to making your own clothing and most anything else.
          No armor sized for a normal man can be fit to me without huge gaps
          needing to be filled in. If someone was skilled in such work, they
          could make partial armor out of some of the suits that could be
          better than none at all. Perhaps there is magic to make armor
          grow in some manner, but it would need to about double in size.
          There may even be magic to create armor my size, but would it
          last long enough to be useful? I need flexible armor that does
          not hinder my movements much, though I will admit, the heavy
          armor others have here sure would have been useful. Perhaps I
          should invest in some heavier magic armor if I am to get in such
          trouble like this in the future. I never really needed it before
          and what damage that I did take healed in a couple days. Most
          fights I was involved in were not serious, a few light hits and
          they were over. Even the few creatures I have seen would ratherrun
          than face me, well other than a pack of wolves that took more
          convincing. But if you can somehow make or fit armor for me, I
          would be grateful. I cannot afford to keep taking damage like
          this if I am to protect the ladies like I promised." <Raban took
          enough to kill most anyone else I would expect, but I could be
          wrong ;) >
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          Unali thinks it is a good plan to start exploring the ground
          floor in a msall group. She looks towards Chion with a faint
          smile. "Are you ready now to look for the kitchen? I still could
          use some hot tea." and she walks towards the side chamber
          previously explored by Fremea as a starting point.
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Ben'dar :[Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar rolls his eyes at Raban's speech and grins mischieviously.
          "Most of these ladies you keep talking about defending could
          kill you where you stand, friend."  Then he grows more serious.
          "I have some skill in leatherworking and can make you some supple,
          lightweight armor that will afford you some protection while not
          inhibiting your movement.  But it will have to wait until we're
          finished exploring this cursed magical place."

          Ben'Dar hears Arawn's words.  "Enemies are to be killed, not to
          drink tea with," he growls.  "He wanted to take our lives.  His
          warriors waited to ambush us.  His fate is just."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Reaction to Ben'dar]
          [*** Ben'dar's email part deleted ***]

          But I do not know how to make armor that way. Maybe between us
          we can more quickly remake my leathers so I have a little
          protection if no magical means can be found to help. I think I
          will need it quite soon if this place continues to act like it
          has so far."

          "As a druid, Arawn's words are law to many peoples. As a bard,
          I must try to follow them as much as I can, though I am finding
          that difficult."
        GM: Ack.  I wonder if I accidentally lost some of your text? :<
            The but seems a odd place to start.  Sorry if I did.

                        -------------------

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          [*** Arawn's email part deleted ***]

          Kiet is not comforted at all...and only glares back at Arawn
          with ill-concealed hostility. To Z'leyra and Raban Kiet says,
          "I do not understand that man!  If he is not an imbecile he is
          a fool!  His lack of action may well have killed several of us.
          And it's not the first time.  These people and things here are
          Chaos and Kotothi! We can only trust them to harm or hinder us."

          Louder, and to the whole group "There is a storage room off that-
          a- way (west?) that may have some items of value.  After I have
          caught my breath, I would like to join the group hunting around.
          When we get back, however, I very much would like to get my hands
          on that last live guard and ask him a few 'pointed' questions.
          I can be, um, persuasive in my own way.  If someone needs to
          stay behind and watch the good fellow, I'll volunteer."

          "Also, I wanted to state to the Group how thankful I am for you
          that helped or tried to help me.  I am thankful to be alive."
          "Raban and especially Fremea, I tried to keep the bad guys from
          you both...and only partially succeeded...but I did try...and
          was successful more often than once.  I'm sorry it couldn't have
          been more."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will mention that if and when she has time she as a
          master armorer and weaponsmith will be happy to make armor and a
          weapon for each member of the party. She notes that such items
          take time to make and that she is a very busy person. In other
          words you might have to wait awhile for her to get it done.
          Likely months, maybe more. However she does fine work and enchants
          it with strong magics. Unfortunately for the Sidh, she does not
          know how to make Elven alloy so any that she makes will have iron
          as the primary ingredient.

          "A downside to having powerful armor, weapons or items is that
          the gods seem to expect more and set greater challenges."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Reaction to Kiet/Z'leyra]
          [*** Kiet's email part deleted ***]

          Raban sighs, "No it is usually not a good idea to trust those of
          Kototh or Chaos but anyone who can pass the training to be a
          Druid cannot be a fool or an idiot. Maybe it is just because he
          is not a human that we have difficulty understanding his intent.
          My Bardic teacher was an Elf so I know the Sidh are very different
          from humans, enough so that you must be careful not to expect a
          human answer. But remember this, no Sidh is likely to trust Kototh
          or Chaos even minutely, yet Arawn tried to learn something from
          them. I can only hope those smarter and wiser than I, know what
          they are doing."

          <Yes Raban depends on his horse to answer such tough questions
          too ;) >

          Raban (to Kiet) "You took many risks to help others and may have
          saved lives doing so. Even I could not have taken many more hits.
          That is the danger of being out numbered, you are more easily
          hurt. If you can keep an enemy from a friends back, you have
          greatly helped your friend, even if you do not hurt that enemy."

          [*** Z'leyra's email part deleted ***]

          Raban says to Z'leyra with a smile, "I would love to have you
          make me armor powerful enough to worry the gods, you can take my
          measurements anytime you wish." then continues "Do you really
          think that armor would change how they treat such as I? Is it
          not obvious that I have been chosen to entertain them, why else
          would a boy training to be a great dancer suddenly grow to a size
          to be ridiculed off the stage no matter the quality of his
          performance? So I chose a Goddess who would love me as well as
          be entertained by me and if she chooses harder tasks for me it
          will be because she knows I will do all I can for her. But if a
          tasks needs doing, does it matter whether you are armored or
          naked? You must still do your best to achieve it. Perhaps it is
          the other way around, the gods knew you had a difficult task and
          arranged for you to acquire powerful tools to perform it?"
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Listening to himself tell the story of his experience, Chion
          has a few more insights as to the nature of the fire haired
          woman. "She would seem to have obviously come here before.
          Knowing both the guards outside as well as the inner chamber's
          contents. It is safe to presume from what was said in here and
          by her that she was just a visitor and not someone who lives
          here. While she could obviously answer some questions, she
          wouldn't know this place to well. This guard is probably our
          best hope of understanding what is happening here. Or to
          question the dead, if their spirits remain. (unsure if elven
          spirits remain after death he looks to Awarn)."

          "Another thing to consider is that we could not see how large
          this keep is from the outside due to the weather. It is curious
          to me that the owner would be only two rooms in. Obviously there
          is a place needed to keep gaurds and feed people and such. There
          is no doubt we should explore further. I need to contact the High
           Elder and talk with him on what has happened first though." He
            will look at his staff. "I wonder if it will work from within
            here."

            He'll try to contact the High Elder to let him know the mess
            they have made, and the attacks they encountered outside. It
            seems that this place is a strong force for the chaotic unknown
            at this point. But not knowing the nature of the red-head, he
            will reserve judgement until more is known, of course.
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Reply to others]
          As Raban, Ben’dar, and Kiet responded to Arawn’s words and
          actions the alfar remained quiet and apparently unfazed by the
          hostility khown him. He had encountered such reactions countless
          times in the realms of the gods, his views clashing with the
          passionate prejudices prevalent among the immortals. He took
          the time to take in their words before responding in a calm and
          even voice, a challenge for him at times considering his own
          passionate nature but he had developed his self-control through
          introspection, broadening perspectives, natural strength, and
          focusing on love.

          Arawn replied to Raban:

          “Thank you, Raban, for trying to keep the peace. Trying your
          best is all I can ask,” he said with a smile. “But I do not think
          A’kril was like many others in power you may have encountered in
          your past. I could be wrong, I am aware, but I don’t think he
          would so callously throw us aside without provocation. But we
          will never know. All I can say, as advice, is that we should be
          careful about making assumptions without need, especially with
          little to base it off of.

          It is a challenge I face regularly, to balance the art of a
          warrior, a druid, and a diplomat. Which path to choose at times
          can be confusing but I choose to focus on my goal- peace, love,
          and understanding between all things. Something that has set me
          apart from many mortals and immortals alike, but it is a path I
          choose because I believe the goal is worth it, no matter how hard
          or lonely the path can sometimes be.”

          Turning to include Ben’dar the sidh added,
          “I understand the need to defend against an enemy but was he?
          The dark elves, for me at least, yes, but A’kril? We had spoken
          before, about the line that blurs between friend, stranger, and
          enemy. We came here looking for an enemy, not knowing if one was
          here or not, and, so, found one. Whether A’kril was truly our
          enemy we do not know, he could have been a friend, but we hunted
          so hard for an enemy we may have found an enemy amongst those
          who weren’t.

          The man did as I imagine any man, Zenda or otherwise, would. He
          sought to defend himself against intruders that invaded his
          home, killed his pets or loved ones, and then attacked him.
          Remember, A’kril did not strike the first blow, we did. Would
          you have done any different in his place?

          And remember, for an enemy, he sought to save Z’leyra’s life
          from the Darkling Light by dispelling it when the fight still
          seemed in his favor
” Sensing the frustration and anger seething
          within Kiet Arawn regarded him calmly and lovingly.

          “You have suffered much here today, Kiet. I am sorry for your
          hurt. I do not think you understand my actions, my motives.

          Those who almost died here today did not suffer so due to
          inaction on my part, for my apparent inaction was a choice, an
          action, and a statement, but almost died due to the actions of
          others. A'kril did not strike first, we did. He reacted to our
          actions, from which this trouble sprang.

          I seek for peace among all, as hard as that is. If I did not I
          would be no different from most of the immortals, Sidh included,
          for they hold this realm and the mortals that walk upon it as
          insects or a blight to be destroyed in some cases, Since they
          were here first, are they right? I do not believe so for there
          is something greater in the universe that we do not see.

          To focus on our hate and prejudices feeds suffering. I agree
          that one must be wary while looking for peace but as adventurers
          it is all too easy to err on the side of violence when it might
          not be a wise choice. Such actions perpetuate and empower forces
          of evil, such as Chaos and the Great Serpent as you mention,
          while weakening the forces of good and of love. It is such views
          that allows humans to war against each other and to hate the Sidh,
          hunting and enslaving them when they are innocent, as happened
          to Fremea. Do not assume that I am unaware of need for violence
          at times, if you know my mother and father you would realize
          that I was raised amidst war and violence as much as I was in
          magic, art, and civility. I am sorry we do not see eye to eye
          but know that I love you all, as I do all things, regardless of
          how you and they may feel about me and my ways. I too have much
          to learn but I hope that in time we will be able to walk
          harmoniously together someday.” When the time is right Arawn
          adds to his talk with Raban: “I have heard what you had to say
          and it seems you have interpreted my request as law. I did not
          mean for this my friend. It was a request. I am not here now to
          give orders but to share lessons that we might better understand
          ourselves and the world around us.. I understand that we must
          protect ourselves and others. I only asked that we temper our
          actions and the decisions we make with love, for all things have
          the potential for good as well as evil and life should be
          cherished wherever it is found. It is a practice of tolerance
          and compassion and one I study every day. Perhaps, when this is
          all over, you might wish to visit with the Forestal and Green
          Lady, mother of a bard of our acquaintance it so happens, of a
          wood I know of in this world. They hold much wisdom and a deep
          reverence for life and can teach these things along with the
          druids and bards there. If you are ever interested please let me
          know.” “In the meanwhile, whatever follows we should armor you.
          My magical scalemail was wrought in Alfheim and holds strong
          enchantment upon it, unfortunately it is too small for you,
          Raban, and too big for Fremea. Kiet has chosen chainmail but if
          he, or anyone else, feels that my magical armor will do them
          some good then please feel free to wear it.

          As for those who remain unarmored, Raban for example, I can
          craft temporary armor for you right now. My magics are low and
          I must rest to restore them but if any wish me to do so now,
          before the morning, then let me know and I will call forth the
          stuff of shadows.”
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Reply to Arawn]
          Raban listens and tries to understand his strange friend, but it
          is difficult.

          "A druid is a cultural treasure, an embodiment of everything
          that culture tries to be or knows. Such a being gave its
          childhood up to learn things most adults cannot comprehend and
          gave its future to returning such knowledge to its people. To
          assault such a one is a crime punished by death. They are Judges
          and Law givers whose wisdom is beyond reproach. A Bard is
          expected to obey a Druid in all things as his role is to assist
          the Druid in teaching the people what they need to know. To keep
          the culture's history and wisdom alive through story and song.
          As a follower of Miryan of the Courts of Cernunnos, the Sidh are
          usually my allies in most things, so even though you are a Druid
          of a different Culture, you are one I am required to assist at
          need. Because there are differences, I am allowed some choice
          in following your orders even to disobey ones that cross my
          teachings. So I am in a difficult spot, when should I assume
          your wisdom was inadequate enough that what you ask me to do
          can be ignored? I am toldI am a bit slow in understanding, so
          perhaps I will find a way to balance this later, but all I can
          do now is to weigh your 'requests' against the risks to others
          as I have been doing. I am not one who enjoys hurting others, I
          much prefer a more peaceable solution. But I cannot tolerate
          anyone hurting a woman, even though my goddess does not always
          require that of me. That has always gotten me into trouble, but
          to me it is worth the costs, and this mission is no exception.
          These ladies have embarked on a dangerous mission and though
          more formidable than any I have known before, they still need
          my protection. If nothing else, those who are attacking me are
          not hurting them. But I am quickly finding, there are limits to
          how long I can keep a quantity of enemies away from them without
          having to hurt them. I am being forced to seriously hurt them,
          even kill them because that is easier and quicker to do than
          knocking them out. It will need much meditation and prayer to
          cleanse this stain from my heart. And worse I have asked for
          better armor to make it possible for me to do even more harm!
          But I do not see any other way to do what is needed, I cannot
          allow myself to fail yet I cannot dodge every attack. So I ask
          for a means to make myself into an unstoppable juggernaut! More
          so than that poor metal man that so frightened others, I risk
          becoming a true monster. Maybe the difficulty in getting such
          armor shows that I should not have it, that letting myself be
          hurt will remind me what I am doing to others?"

          "So this is really what I ask of you, in your wisdom, can I be
          allowed such defenses? To better allow me to stain my hands with
          the blood of others? Is this mission worth such risks?"

          <Poor Raban he thinks he is becoming a monster? But them most
          who see an 8' tall man already thinks so, no matter how handsome
          he is.> <8' 403 lbs should keep him as a lien dancer build? He
          is far stronger than he looks. Its hard to picture his appearance
          and be sure I have the right weight for his height and build. Not
          too many 8' humans to compare with and 'Hulks' appearance would
          require far more weight.>
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Kiet: [Re:  Reply to Arawn]
          < Sensing the frustration and anger seething within Kiet Arawn
          regarded him calmly and lovingly.>

          <Kiet's thinking: Oh, yeah...THAT took skill to sense that...>

          Kiet "Hey, I have an idea!  Let's let our armor-clad Alfar
          friend take point for the rest of our time on this floating rock
          pile?"
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea smiles at Kiet and nods her head, "Though I thank you for
          your help in keeping some away from me, I do wish you would not
          destroy yourself in doing so." Her smile is even bigger now.
          "Mostly so that I may have more fun later, it would be a shame
          to lose you now that you found us."

          She only wishes that she could trust any of these people more, as
          she still does not know what any of their intentions are. It seems
          Arawn, with his understanding of courts and Sidh ways, seems at a
          lose on how to work with people in the Middle world. This could
          be a major flaw that he is always trying to learn where sometimes,
          doing is better and the best way to learn, rather than talking.
          Z'leyra has so much to give and yet almost seems to not keep
          anything for herself, which could cost her everything in the end.
          Raban, big, destructive and just too soft, does not even know
          where he wants to go, just follows who he thinks needs more
          protection than himself. Kiet, anonymous to all, just like
          herself, and yet gives so much away with his emotions and
          outburts. He could be very good at what she does, yet her master
          would have flogged him so hard he might have died from it.
          Chion, and Unali, both of the stealthy ways, yet Chion seems
          to work to get away from it and Unali just hides so no one really
          sees her. It seems there are too many possible issues with telling
          anyone of her goals right now, though hopefully she will learn
          more up here than at any Inn or on the road going some where.

          "I will watch for traps or other possible hidden places as we
          explore."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Reactions to others]
          "It is good to know that you strive for peaceful resolutions to
          situations, Raban. As to when to cross a line, to fight or talk,
          it is not always an easily definable line. Life is a precious
          thing but we cannot deny death its due. Both are part of the
          great cycle, for all life subsists on the lives of other things.
          The hunter eats his prey just as the prey feeds on the lives of
          plants. It is not an issue of whether an action is right or
          wrong, it is an issue of motivation, why we choose the action.

          If I were to tell you that a man violently slaughtered a group
          of women in his home, how do you judge that? Did he do wrong? If
          he lured them there and forced himself upon them before killing
          them he would be condemned. But what if they had broken into his
          home and attempted to kill him and his family out of jealousy?
          Now is he in the wrong?

          In either situation the women died, the difference wasn't in
          the man's choice of action but why he did it, his motivation. One
          was selfish, fueled by lust and violence, while the other was
          done out of a need to protect himself and his loved ones.

          "You, like all of us, have motivations. Do you know your
          priorities? Do you know why you do what you do, on deep level?
          You seek to protect women above all others, so it seems. Why?
          Do you cherish them above all, if so, why?

          Or do you seek penance for something in your past that haunts
          you? Are you protecting them because you've yet to resolve this?
          Aren't all things, or at least men versus women, deserving the
          same level of respect, protection, and love? Is a man or child
          truly less deserving of your protection than a woman?

          Or is it that you feel that women are weak? Strength comes in
          many packages, not just in our arms and legs.

          It could be one of the above, a mix, or none at all but ask
          yourself why you make the decisions that you do and then after
          finding the answer, dig deeper to find the root emotion behind
          it, the motivation and prioritize them. Raban, the saying goes,
          we all have two wolves within us, one good- love, hope,
          compassion, truth, and wisdom- and one bad - anger, hate,
          jealousy, resentment, and deceit. These wolves fight daily,
          who wins depends on which wolf you choose to feed. if you still
          seek penance I suggest you ponder my words and decide if you
          truly need it. In my mind I do not think so but only you can
          remove the stain on your heart and free the voices of your past.
          All anyone else can do is offer you the tools to aid you in this,
          they cannot free you from yourself.

          As to whether or not to armor yourself, there is no wrong in it.
          All things fight for their lives, do so knowing that you are
          striving to do good things and to protect those who cannot
          protect themselves and you must be armed and armored- physically,
          spiritually, and morally- when you must face a challenge and have
          no recourse but to fight. Choose your actions knowing your
          motivations, focus on love and respect for life, remain
          principled and you should have little reason to doubt your
          choice of actions." Arawn paused and smiled quietly,

          "I do not know if my words are eloquent enough for you, if my
          message has been properly worded, but when this is done, if you
          are not in a hurry, there are some you might wish to study with.
          In the forests to the west lies a Sacred Forest guarded by a
          Forestal, a Green Lady, and an Archdruid and his disciples,
          including a Bard that is friend to us. They are dedicated to
          the Court of Life, the Neutral Path, and in that place all life
          is sacred. They can teach more than I think I will be able to.
          Let me know if you wish to travel there and I will happily
          sponsor you before them."

          Arawn can cast Shadow Sculpt to create armor for Raban (and
          anyone else who feels they need it. I think eveyone else is
          armored but I'm not sure about Fremea. Does Fremea need any
          armor?). I can create any armor for you as I'm almost an EL 80
          armorer. The armor will last 2 days minimum and I can craft up
          to 2 shadow items still (might be more now but I'd have to
          check). Arawn is low on mana but if you don't want to wait until
          morning he'll cast it now. Let me know what you decide (or if
          anyone else needs some).

          [*** Raban's email part deleted ***]

          Based on Kiet's proposal Arawn will take point if the others wish
          but will go along with the groups decisions, opting for the most
          practical approach to things.

          Beyond that, if Chion or anyone else comments on the ring Arawn
          mentioned and is willing to travel down Arawn will readily join
          them. Also, might snuff some candles in the chandalier if anyone
          in the party is skilled with Magical Theory or something similiar
          and thinks it would be safe to do so without triggering more
          traps (arawn still thinks the candles might be linked to wards
          around the place).

          "I am fine with that, Kiet," Arawn said as he rose to his feet.
          "Though I wonder if you ask out of anger or practicality," he
          added calmly as he walked away.
        GM: Ack. Keep in mind the ring and all that was posted in Chion's
            events are known to the party.  He never actually touched  or
            inspected the object around her neck.  So you know what she may
            have worn.  Also keep in mind teleporting up and down is costly
            for simple trips and mana may need to be saved as some in the
            party tapped out show. :) Don't forget the shadow armor would
            have issues in various area.

                        -------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Comments to Fremea]
          Cion looks at Fremea and says in a shallow tone, "I wonder if
          I will  ever fully understand how will, conscience, and ambition
          are made to collide. For now I am happy that my friends are
          breathing. I wonder what his final words mean "at last I am
          free". That interests me more than all this bickering about
          intentions and courts of other realms."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Kiet: [Re: Reply to Caladan]
          To Caladan: "My talents are not limited to sword point catching...
          (grin).  Do you remember that little blue ball we saw at the
          entryway?  That was me...I used it to unobtrusively look around
          a bit.  It's how I also knew that there was someone in this room
          before we entered it."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Reply to Chion/Arawn]
          Fremea quietly responds to Chion, "Yes, it does seem very odd
          that would be said as the last words. I have heard many last words
          before, though no one ever was happy to be dead. I would say that
          it is important you stick close to many of the others in case an
          emergency teleport is needed. I am also beginning to wonder why
          your elder sent us all here. I know it was because he 'wanted'
          to know about this place, though I have suspected something more,
          I just don't know what, as I am still really learning about
          living my own life."

          "Thank you for your concern Arawn, though my armor is in very
          good condition at this time. If there is a need, I will be glad
          to accept later."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------

        From Raban: [Re: In reply to Arawn again]
          <oops I missed changing to the list before sending! For some
          reason it thinks reply is just to the person.>

          Raban "We are safe enough for the moment, save your magic for
          emergencies, I can wait a while longer. So there is magic to
          craft armor from Shadows? That is not one I have heard of before,
          but then my magic knowledge is quite limited. If it is an easy
          one to do, could it also make a bow strong enough to use my
          strength? I have worked on such myself but so far my skill has
          not been up to making one strong enough.

          I suspect wood alone is not enough and I am unskilled with
          working metals. Of course bows have not been very useful here,
          so likely it is of no import. I thank you for sharing your
          wisdom, there is much I need to learn."

          Raban smiles. "I have tried Elven bows and found they are
          wonderful things that seem to help you pull them, but my teacher's
          bow was no stronger than I could make from wood. If I could find
          an Elven Boyer that could make one as strong as I would like, it
          would be a true miracle as anyone could pull it. Still they would
          be more likely to have the skill needed than most and the Elven
          magic may allow a wooden bow to reach such strength. I tried a
          ballista once, just to see how strong they were and found it was
          a bit weaker than I would like and it was made of steel. So I
          continued to work on my own crafting, and asking in various
          places when I remember too do so. I think it would take me some
          time to learn the differences to using an elven bow as well so it
          would not help right now, but I do thank you for the generous
          offer." <Raban has a 'light' WSB+2 longbow now, he would like
          one about 3 times that ;) more if magical. Thats only about 300
          more expertise in Boyer before Raban can make it, just lots of
          practice!> <Rule check: Elf bows need no min strength but that
          does not give them a higher WSB, standard Elf Bow is WSB+2. And
          heavy elf bows are rule breakers since anyone could pull WSB+8
          that way! Bow damage depends on WSB and skill, not the user
          strength so it is very important to use one as strong as you
          can pull. On a side note, specific skill matters and Elf Bow is
          Bow? not Longbow so greatly lowers Raban's skill.> <Of course
          there is the big question... do the arrows survive being fired
          or or do they just get cut in half by the bowstring? LOL>
        GM: Ack. Not sure what your asking here on the rule.  But When
            get time and not so bogged down will study it.

                        -------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Reply to Raban again]
          Arawn can cast Shadow Sculpt to create armor for Raban (and
          anyone else who feels they need it. I think eveyone else is
          armored but I'm not sure about Fremea. Does Fremea need any
          armor?). I can create any armor for you as I'm almost an EL 80
          armorer. The armor will last 2 days minimum and I can craft up
          to 2 shadow items still might be more now but I'd have to check).
          Arawn is low on mana but if you don't want to wait until morning
          he'll cast it now. Let me know what you decide (or if anyone else
          needs some). <Not in RP so cant respond? But Raban can wait,
          likely he has more HP than many even now.>

          "I am somewhat drained from our recent activities but I can
          craft the shadow armor now if you wish. Otherwise I can conjure
          it after we have rested and are refreshed. Let me know what you
          wish."</red>

        GM: Due to the length and amount of posts above I've put it into
            this one file.  You can check above to see if you have comments
            from me on your posted stuff. The next post is just the
            dialogue in the same fashion but with introspections and other
            comments not posted or posted from others not shown.  Its a
            bit redundant to read and wade through but it might contain
            something you missed.  The 3rd post is the exploration
            details.